TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT500 GET NEWER MOTOR!

jasonport

Hello, Everyone love all your cars and read this website every day! I just read an article on www.mustangheaven.com

that the 2011 will get the all aluminum Block! Which will be 100 pounds lighter! Great news! I new it was coming! You might want to wait and order a 2011!

sorry must have read it somewhere else but i did read it will look for it during the day then post! : ) but there is some info on wwwleftlanenews.com

as well

cheers my mustang brothers! :happy feet:

I would never order and engine and drive train in it's first year of release, especially an aluminum block. I will drive my 2010 two years and then probably take a look at it the 2nd year out.

I am not a real fan of aluminum blocks, I guess it stems from all of the aircraft I have owned over the years that are all aluminum. The GT500 iron block is tough as nails and I am not sure I would want to give it up for only 100 lbs.

Steve

+1, let them work the kinks out first ;)

The aluminum block will be a great addition, that's for sure, once it is refined. Until then... we can continue to beat up our iron blocks feeling assured that they can handle the stress! :shift:

I would never order and engine and drive train in it's first year of release, especially an aluminum block. I will drive my 2010 two years and then probably take a look at it the 2nd year out.

Steve

I agree. I like how the current engine has been around for a few years and has had time to reveal any problems.

That being said I dont think I really want to pay any more for an aluminum engine because this car will never see the track with me and thats where I think the weight savings will really show itself off.

I am happy to see Ford investing money into the mustang program though. At least we know these cars are going to be around for years to come.

Don't know the details of the engine you are talking about, but if it is the 5.4 aluminum block, it has been out there for a while most noteably in the Ford GT in a dry sump version. You have been able to buy this block machined for a wet sump for a while now from FRPP so it's not exactly new.

Don't know the details of the engine you are talking about, but if it is the 5.4 aluminum block, it has been out there for a while most noteably in the Ford GT in a dry sump version. You have been able to buy this block machined for a wet sump for a while now from FRPP so it's not exactly new.

I agree. Also keep in mind that the 4.6 aluminum block has been around for years with no problems that I know of so I wouldn't expect any problems with the 5.4 block.

Steve

I am not a real fan of aluminum blocks, I guess it stems from all of the aircraft I have owned over the years that are all aluminum. The GT500 iron block is tough as nails and I am not sure I would want to give it up for only 100 lbs.

Steve

The engine and block are not new, it is available now through FRPP and was used on the Ford GT super car. Trust me, the Al 5.4 block is better and more durable than our Iron 5.4 blocks will ever be. Don't kid yourself

Steve

I agree with you on this. I believe the '03 cobra's were designed with Alum blocks, but could not hold up to the severe punishment of high boost levels, so moved over to iron. Of course the Ford GT motor does not have that issue, but also likely is re-enforced and sleeved, adding weight and big $$$. Regardless of all that, I will wait a couple years to see the results before jumping in.

The engine and block are not new, it is available now through FRPP and was used on the Ford GT super car. Trust me, the Al 5.4 block is better and more durable than our Iron 5.4 blocks will ever be. Don't kid yourself

Didnt know this. Thanks for the heads up. I forgot about the GT40. Good stuff.

Why was Ford using the iron block if they have had the aluminum block?

What makes it more durable?

+1, it's available from FR now for the GT500. nice to see you back Mark

Hello, Everyone love all your cars and read this website every day! I just read an article on www.mustangheaven.com

that the 2011 will get the all aluminum Block! Which will be 100 pounds lighter! Great news! I new it was coming! You might want to wait and order a 2011!

sorry must have read it somewhere else but i did read it will look for it during the day then post! : ) but there is some info on wwwleftlanenews.com

as well

cheers my mustang brothers! :happy feet:

Is this official????

The motor is coming & it's been ready since 2007 & before it was offered as a purchased item through FRPP. I seen one at the Romeo engine plant in a GT500 back in 2007. The saving ford is looking for is in weight reduction & every little bit helps when they are mandated by the government to reach the 35mpg standard by 2020....

ps: look for me to on the boards more next week, I'm going to be on vacation :yup:

The motor is coming & it's been ready since 2007 & before it was offered as a purchased item through FRPP. I seen one at the Romeo engine plant in a GT500 back in 2007. The saving ford is looking for is in weight reduction & every little bit helps when they are mandated by the government to reach the 35mpg standard by 2020....

ps: look for me to on the boards more next week, I'm going to be on vacation :yup:

Very cool info

nice to see you back Rodney :cold:

I'm not too crazy on the 2011 having an all Alum block. Probably good if you want to keep your GT500's stock, but I plan on getting a Whipple on mine and boosting it to at least 14 to 16 lbs of boost. I have a 2001 Cobra with the Alum block and when I added my procharger I blew out a clinder and had to replace the entire engine only running 8lbs of boost! So I went with a 4.6 Iron block on my 2001 and it handles 10 lbs just fine. I remember when the 03/04 Cobras were coming out and Ford stated that the Alum block couldn't handle the amount of boost and wear and tear. I'm sure the Ford GT works just fine, but I forsee a big jump in the base price on what it will cost to have the re-enforced Alum on the 2011. I'm happy with the Iron block, at least I know that it's bullet proof like the good old live axle rear end!!

Here's the link everyone

http://bumpinmyhead.wordpress.com/2009/06/...-5-0-confirmed/

Jason

the 2011 should be awesome with new motor and I am hearing 600HP stock! So were's the IRP!!!! :happy feet:

I'd hardly call any of this confirmation of anything.

"According to the resident parts guy over at 'The Mustang Source'"? :headscratch:

I'm not too crazy on the 2011 having an all Alum block. Probably good if you want to keep your GT500's stock, but I plan on getting a Whipple on mine and boosting it to at least 14 to 16 lbs of boost. I have a 2001 Cobra with the Alum block and when I added my procharger I blew out a clinder and had to replace the entire engine only running 8lbs of boost! So I went with a 4.6 Iron block on my 2001 and it handles 10 lbs just fine. I remember when the 03/04 Cobras were coming out and Ford stated that the Alum block couldn't handle the amount of boost and wear and tear. I'm sure the Ford GT works just fine, but I forsee a big jump in the base price on what it will cost to have the re-enforced Alum on the 2011. I'm happy with the Iron block, at least I know that it's bullet proof like the good old live axle rear end!!

The 03/04 Cobras used Iron blocks

The block in your 01 Cobra was very stout. It was not the block that let go when your motor blew, it was the POS rods and pistons.

The stronges Al block was the 99 Cobra block, better known as the Teksid block which was actually cast in Italy by the same company that builds the blocks for Ferrari

The 03/04 Cobras used Iron blocks

The block in your 01 Cobra was very stout. It was not the block that let go when your motor blew, it was the POS rods and pistons.

The stronges Al block was the 99 Cobra block, better known as the Teksid block which was actually cast in Italy by the same company that builds the blocks for Ferrari

Teksid blocks are rare & one of the strongest blocks out there. Do we know if the new alu block is similar to the G.T block?

Archived