TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cherry bomb mufflers - upload I hope

Are Cherry Bombs the same as back in history? Fiberglass-packed bullet-shaped items? Yes they sound good. Even in the mid-1970s exhaust gas temperatures were high enough that they burned out the 'glass and in my case they had to be replaced every 45 days or so, when they became too loud (I had a 23-degree departure-angle megaphone to complicate matters).

Unless the technology is significantly advanced from then, you might as well put on straight pipes or simple resonators, because (in my experience) that's what you'll have in a very short time.

Backfire is the result of unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust system, if I'm not mistaken. Lots of reasons for unburned fuel there. A common one (history again) other than cold starting conditions (pooling in intake passages) and butterfly valves that don't close completely, is valves that don't close completely or on time. Unburned fuel can contaminate catalytic material in the system; backfire can break up the catalytic configuration, possibly leading to plugging of the flow and excessive emissions.

"In this universe there are things

that just don't yield to thinking

—plain or fancy—Dude".

—J. Spicoli, PolyPartyPerson

Are Cherry Bombs the same as back in history? Fiberglass-packed bullet-shaped items? Yes they sound good. Even in the mid-1970s exhaust gas temperatures were high enough that they burned out the 'glass and in my case they had to be replaced every 45 days or so, when they became too loud (I had a 23-degree departure-angle megaphone to complicate matters).

Unless the technology is significantly advanced from then, you might as well put on straight pipes or simple resonators, because (in my experience) that's what you'll have in a very short time.

Backfire is the result of unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust system, if I'm not mistaken. Lots of reasons for unburned fuel there. A common one (history again) other than cold starting conditions (pooling in intake passages) and butterfly valves that don't close completely, is valves that don't close completely or on time. Unburned fuel can contaminate catalytic material in the system; backfire can break up the catalytic configuration, possibly leading to plugging of the flow and excessive emissions.

—plain or fancy—Dude".

They are not the glass packs from the 70's but they do still sell those mufflers!!! My mufflers are the Vortex made by cherry bomb and a life time warranty. That video was a cold start but since I refulled my tank and put gas dry in it hasn't happened again.

—plain or fancy—Dude".

Yeah but for some reason old cherry bombs with no crossover left a backfiring burble on the older V-8's.

I like that sound, sound good. How much these set you back if you dont mind?

It cost me 400.00 because, I wanted the original tips on the new mufflers and had to bend new pipes. The cost was worth it !! Totally a different sound from the rest, My car is still at the dealer and it will be ready tomorrow and will post the video of the new cams.

Anthony

Archived