TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 hood vents why the change from the orig?

john351

I was wondering if anyone has input on why Ford changed the original style of the hood vents (air extractors?) from the indented ones to the new black (sticking up) ones? I find the original style to be far better looking. Was there some functional/cost problem? Just wondering! Sure wish they hadn't done this! :headscratch:

Hey John

Welcome to the site.

To the best of my knowledge the heat extractors on the hood were changed on the production version, after testing to maximize extracton of heat and air buildup under the hood. The supercharged 5.4L V8 builds up alot of heat, making it neccessary to increase the size of the front grilles to increase the air flow to cool the engine. But, this of course meant they need to vent the air out of the engine compartment just as quickly to prevent buildup and lift, especially at high speeds.

Hope that helps.

Although I like seeing the hood vents more prominently displayed, I agree they could have been prettied up a bit more.

KingCobra.

Thanks for the input K.C.! I figured as much, however, was hoping for a better look too. At least they tell me (SVT) that they will carry the stripes right up to the vents as opposed to the "bordered" stripes that some of the site pictures have shown. B.T.W., are the stripes painted on, or are they decals?

Am happy to be a new member of the forum and have been a SAAC member for 32 years! Certainly looking forward to the day I can purchase a new GT500 - never thought that would happen! Definitely will have to wait for the initial price mark-up insanity to pass as I can't afford to pay 50-55K for the car. A big local dealer wouldn't let me put down a deposit after having been asking them periodically for a year.

As others, I'm concerned about the weight - are there a bunch of air bags etc? - but what are you going to do, wait another 40 years?

When are the Panteras going to go to 150K like the orig Shelbys? Mine eats Shelbys for breakfast! :rockon:

1972 Pantera

1965 "K" code coupe

Thanks for the input K.C.! I figured as much, however, was hoping for a better look too. At least they tell me (SVT) that they will carry the stripes right up to the vents as opposed to the "bordered" stripes that some of the site pictures have shown. B.T.W., are the stripes painted on, or are they decals?

Am happy to be a new member of the forum and have been a SAAC member for 32 years! Certainly looking forward to the day I can purchase a new GT500 - never thought that would happen! Definitely will have to wait for the initial price mark-up insanity to pass as I can't afford to pay 50-55K for the car. A big local dealer wouldn't let me put down a deposit after having been asking them periodically for a year.

As others, I'm concerned about the weight - are there a bunch of air bags etc? - but what are you going to do, wait another 40 years?

When are the Panteras going to go to 150K like the orig Shelbys? Mine eats Shelbys for breakfast! :rockon:

1972 Pantera

1965 "K" code coupe

No the stripes are vinyl decals. But, a local paint and body shop told me they have dramatically enhanced the quality of modern vinyl decals and they will last well. The car is a pig, weight wise, but with 475+hp and torque pushing her around, you'd better get out of the way!!! I expect the power,performance and handling to far excede my expectations. I can't wait to get behind the wheel!!!

I've been #2 on the list at the SVT dealer here since last June '05, and have a contract for MSRP. I will be ordering Torch Red with White Stripes, red/black interior and the interior upgrade package. Assuming they don't release a GT500KR at the New York Auto Show, in that case I will be on the prowl for that.

Got any pics of your Pantera???

KingCobra.

1972 Pantera

1965 "K" code coupe

I can't believe the Pantera's aren't worth at least as much as the Shelby's, I think they are a performance car bargain when you look at the prices other muscle cars are bringing, but I would be willing to bet that it won't last long. I think they are going to start taking off. Maybe Nicholas Cage needs to drive one in a crappy movie, that seems to be what made the Shelbys go crazy.

I can't believe the Pantera's aren't worth at least as much as the Shelby's, I think they are a performance car bargain when you look at the prices other muscle cars are bringing, but I would be willing to bet that it won't last long. I think they are going to start taking off. Maybe Nicholas Cage needs to drive one in a crappy movie, that seems to be what made the Shelbys go crazy.

[/quote

Oooooh,

ELEANOR!!!

:bowdown:

KingCobra.

I can't believe the Pantera's aren't worth at least as much as the Shelby's, I think they are a performance car bargain when you look at the prices other muscle cars are bringing, but I would be willing to bet that it won't last long.

~~~~~~~~~

Yes, I do have some pics of the Pantera, but am fairly computer illiterate and would be happy to post with some instructions for "posting pics for dummies". Any help? - they are digital pics on Picassa.

It's not that stock with Ford motorsport Alum C302B heads, titanium valves etc, etc. 530hp (on engine dyno) and 480 FtLbs. Some all metal body work. Am I getting off topic enough yet!? :boring:

Anyway, want to make it clear that I LOVE SHELBYS and absolutely respect the awesome cars that they are, but my GT "K" coupe starts to float around at 105mph and has even had the front suspension mods of the 65 Shelby, the Pantera with its mid-engine design handles so much better and I can take my hands off the wheel at 140MPH. Pantera issues relate more to rust and the dreaded prince of darkness (lucas) electrics, but as others have said (and I agree) they are the performance car bargain of the century!

Being baby Gt40's and all.

my GT "K" coupe starts to float around at 105mph and has even had the front suspension mods of the 65 Shelby

Yeah, the 60's stangs will float no matter what you do. Shelby drop, better springs/shocks etc. won't stop that. I learned my lesson after taking my 68 over 95 on a nice summer day... never again! I'd think putting in the Mustang II suspension would help, but I'd never do that to a K code. Mmmmm, K-codes!!! :drool::drool: :bowdown: Gott'a love those solid lifters over 5000rpm!! Such a sweet sound!

K code???

I must admit, that I'm not familiar with that.

K-code was the 289 HP engine from 65-67 in the Mustang. Best engine you could get until the S code 390 came in 67. 271 claimed HP, solid lifters (vs the std hyd versions), better cam, flat-top pistons (better compression), HP exhaust manifolds... very cool engine! :rockon:

Some cool info here if you want: http://www.hipomustang.com/images/hipoeng/

K code???

I must admit, that I'm not familiar with that.

Bring on the pics!!!

KingCobra.

K-code refers to the 289 High Performance engine - rated at 271 Horsepower. Great little engine and very hard to find these days.

A K-code coupe ( very rare ) and a Pantera - nice pair!

Yes, I enjoy the cars I have (had - actually I don't have the "K" any more owned it for ten years and sold it to a neighbor who did a ground up resto and had it published in at least one magazine - so now one can see the need to pick up a new GT500!), but you've (Owen) got that beautiful 67 GT500! IMHO, the most beautiful and best body style of all years the Shelby mustangs were produced ~ sweet!

As a kid, I had a slot car set with a blue with white stripes GT40 - that's what got me to love cars in general. But, having to be realistic, really liked the Shelby's and bosses (particularly the Acapolco (sp?) blue 69 Boss 302 that a kid at school had. Can you imagine that being one's first car! Then one day after a track meet, got a ride home in another kid's hipo "K" coupe and the rumble through the exhaust system was intoxicating - it was all over for me!

Then of course, think of the amazing cars my parents wouldn't let me buy... 65 327/350 Vette for $3500, and an export Canadian Boss 302 for $7500 in perfect condition in 1985 (didn't have the cash then as I'd just gotten out of school and was looking for a job) and of course I could've bought most Shelbys when I bought my Pantera for $28,000 in 1990. It's probably worth 40-50K now while the Shelby would be worth 150K?

But I'm not the only foolish one as I begged my best friend to buy a perfect 69 gt350 that was for sale at $3500 in 1980, but instead he bought a MGB (worth what 10K now?)

Where's my time machine! :yup:

Still hoping those computer saavy of you can give me a quick lesson on how to post the pantera pic(s).

Yes, I do have some pics of the Pantera, but am fairly computer illiterate and would be happy to post with some instructions for "posting pics for dummies". Any help? - they are digital pics on Picassa.

I'd love to see pics of your Pantera. I tried to keep up with one on a Bay Area freeway but was blown away. I was driving a VW Eurovan with a 14-foot trailer in heavy traffic, but hey, at least I tried.

Uploading from Picasa is a pain the butt. I have it on my computer and can't stand it. It's fun to horse around with all the features, but I've never figured out how to save a pic from it to my computer.

Here are directions on how to upload pics from your hard drive:

You can upload them straight from your computer to your post using the "File Attachments", this is right below where you type in the message. Just click "Browse", find the pic you want to upload and click on it, click "Add This Attachment". Then your pic will show up right below the "Browse" and "Add This Attachment" buttons. You will then be able to add that pic to your post.

I usually resize my pics before uploading them to 800x600. If they are too big it just becomes a pain to view unless you have a huge monitor.

K-code was the 289 HP engine from 65-67 in the Mustang. Best engine you could get until the S code 390 came in 67. 271 claimed HP, solid lifters (vs the std hyd versions), better cam, flat-top pistons (better compression), HP exhaust manifolds... very cool engine! :rockon:

Some cool info here if you want: http://www.hipomustang.com/images/hipoeng/

Thanks Joe G,

No matter what info you want, somebody here has it.

KingCobra.

Ah, the dreaded Heat Extractor debate continues!!

Y'know, I too agree that the Prototype looked awsome. However................go to a new car show and look at the Mustang GT up next to an 07' Shelby. You can't believe how much better the Shelby looks with just the Hood alone. Unbelievable! The Hood totally sets the car off. It looks like it's on Steroids. Big Bulging Hood emulates a Big Bulging Chest or Biceps! Muscle Car it IS!! :rockon:

Here's a 2nd try with better cropping (hopefully anyway) at least you guys get the idea!

(Re: 1972 DeTomaso Pantera)

post-2879-1140410700_thumb.jpg

I think that this is the best I'll be able to do - I hate Picassa too!

Here's a 2nd try with better cropping (hopefully anyway) at least you guys get the idea!

(Re: 1972 DeTomaso Pantera)

I think that this is the best I'll be able to do - I hate Picassa too!

1972!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like it just rolled off of the line, condition and design.

Absolutely beautiful John!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing the pic.

KingCobra.

Archived