TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How is your Shelby titled?

teranfon

Hi everyone

I've been lurking for about a year on the forum. Very informative. I have a question for those with '07 to '08 Shelby GTs. Specifically, how the car is titled, or registered. On your titles, does it say "Ford Mustang GT", or does it say "Ford Mustang Shelby GT"? Any other variations?

Ford Mustang GT :)

Thanks for the quick reply '08SGT1977. Your car looks very nice in your sig. Glad to hear how it's titled. As mentioned, it makes it so much easier if "Mustang" or "Mustang GT" appears without the Shelby moniker.

Thanks for the quick reply '08SGT1977. Your car looks very nice in your sig. Glad to hear how it's titled. As mentioned, it makes it so much easier if "Mustang" or "Mustang GT" appears without the Shelby moniker.

Thanks again

Terry

Terry - Why, in your opinion, does that make it easier "without" the Shelby name or as you put it moniker on the title? What number is your Shelby GT or GT500? Does it read like the rest of the SGT's do? The only reason I can think of is the car would be easier cloned as it is not titled as a Shelby GT but as a Mustang and is finished at Shelby in Las Vegas then sent back to the dealer. The GT500's are titled as Shelby, because when Ford's SVT Team makes the car the Shelby name is on it when it leaves the Ford factory.

Just curious is all~

Terry - Why, in your opinion, does that make it easier "without" the Shelby name or as you put it moniker on the title? What number is your Shelby GT or GT500? Does it read like the rest of the SGT's do? The only reason I can think of is the car would be easier cloned as it is not titled as a Shelby GT but as a Mustang and is finished at Shelby in Las Vegas then sent back to the dealer. The GT500's are titled as Shelby, because when Ford's SVT Team makes the car the Shelby name is on it when it leaves the Ford factory.

Just curious is all~

Thanks for the replies everyone. All the responses were helpful and appreciated.

SWEDEMAN:

I have not as yet purchased a Shelby GT, but intend to do so within the upcoming months. Transport Canada doesn't like any car that has been altered from it's factory trim to be imported to Canada. It can still be done, but is somewhat more difficult. Transport Canada recognizes a Mustang GT as meeting all federal regulations except for daytime running lights, a modification easily performed at any Ford dealership. Once a car is modified, then there is the potential for more scrutiny at time of importation. This is why I was curious as to how Shelby GTs are titled, and glad they are "only" listed as "Mustang GT's". Both US and Canadian sides of crossing inspect the title before the car can legally be allowed to Canada.

Thanks again

Terry

Terry, thanks 4 the comps. Good luck in ur search. The prices are great now. I love my car. It is the perfect car 4 me. There is nothing that could make me happier. It is such a gas top up or top down. I have the auto and Sirius so commuting is fun even in gridlock. I get looks and comments every day.

This car encompasses everything I like and it drifts thru corners without any roll. The exhaust has an awesome rumble. I luv all mustangs but if you get an SGT, you will not be dissapionted. Welcome to the forums. I was a lurker on the old forums in 2007 long before I ordered my car.

Erich

Terry, thanks 4 the comps. Good luck in ur search. The prices are great now. I love my car. It is the perfect car 4 me. There is nothing that could make me happier. It is such a gas top up or top down. I have the auto and Sirius so commuting is fun even in gridlock. I get looks and comments every day.

This car encompasses everything I like and it drifts thru corners without any roll. The exhaust has an awesome rumble. I luv all mustangs but if you get an SGT, you will not be dissapionted. Welcome to the forums. I was a lurker on the old forums in 2007 long before I ordered my car.

Erich

Thanks for the replies everyone. All the responses were helpful and appreciated.

SWEDEMAN:

I have not as yet purchased a Shelby GT, but intend to do so within the upcoming months. Transport Canada doesn't like any car that has been altered from it's factory trim to be imported to Canada. It can still be done, but is somewhat more difficult. Transport Canada recognizes a Mustang GT as meeting all federal regulations except for daytime running lights, a modification easily performed at any Ford dealership. Once a car is modified, then there is the potential for more scrutiny at time of importation. This is why I was curious as to how Shelby GTs are titled, and glad they are "only" listed as "Mustang GT's". Both US and Canadian sides of crossing inspect the title before the car can legally be allowed to Canada.

Terry

Thank you for the post and good luck to you.

I'm looking forward to it. In the past I've owned both a '67 and '68 500. Up until a few years ago I never would have believed I would one day purchase a relatively new Ford based Shelby automobile.

I'm not sure what gearbox to choose, but I'm leaning towards an automatic as the car will be driven and enjoyed daily.

Terry

nice!

Hi Reino

So on the title it lists the model as "Shelby GT"?

Terry

Yes mine does. Thats only because I asked that it said that. I have a good releationship with the guy who did the DMV junk at the dealership and he asked how I wanted it listed. When I said "Shelby GT" he jokingly said "you might as well, your paying for a Shelby"

In VA we pay property tax on vehicles based on current value...thankfully I'm taxed as a mustang GT vice Shelby GT.

I pay the same as a Mustang GT. Where i am they use the VIN, not what the title says.

• 2 weeks later...

In Indiana, you pay for the license plates according to the value on the car. They ask you when you originally title the car at the license branch if it is a Standard GT, a Premium GT or a Shelby. The Indiana tax format looks at the "Shelby" category as only the factory supplied GT500 and you will pay tax based on a car that costs a lot more money, thus paying higher taxes.

The window sticker for the Shelby GT clearly states PREMIUM GT and that is what the car is as far as the government is concerned.

It is no different than buying a plain jane van that has been converted by an upfitter to being a luxury premium full leather, custom painted cruiser. There is a certain advantage to paying for license plates for that vehicle as being the factory supplied low level plain van (at least in Indiana). I had this situation on a recent high top conversion high end van that was registered and plated as an inexpensive plain van.

Make sure you understand what ramifications there are in taxes BEFORE trying to get "Shelby" on the title.

Personally for me, I am perfectly happy with all of the other documentation I have that shows that I have an authentic Shelby as converted by the Shelby facility in Las Vegas and the government doesn't need to know any different (just like I wouldn't call them up and let them know I invested in new tires/wheels or a supercharger, etc that might also raise the tax value...)

in CA the title (or pink slip) just says "2008 Ford".

No mention of Mustang on it.

For insurance purposes they use the price I paid for my car, and didn't even need the name "Shelby".

The VINs on these cars will not show them being Shelbys (Shelbies?) so that's why the registry is so important! There are many clones of the SGT and even more of the GT500, so if anyone is considering buying a used Shelby they must search the registry, right?

In Utah we pay a property tax on our vehicles, too. The SGT shows up as Mustang GT with our DMV due to the factory VIN. This is okay with me as my taxes are lower. The VIN shows my car as Mustang GT with my insurance company , too.

I did have to add a rider to my insurance to be sure they cover my car as a Shelby, not just a Mustang GT.

I did my own paper work for my SGT. I listed it as such, "make" Ford. "year" 2007,

"body style" 2dr, "model" shelby gt.

It still came back as "model" Mustang.

I called them and asked why and she told me the vin came back as a Mustang. Not a Shelby.

O well ... I learned long ago, dont argue with the Hwy. Dept.! It's a no win situation.

Kevin

07SGT2591

Hi everyone

I've been lurking for about a year on the forum. Very informative. I have a question for those with '07 to '08 Shelby GTs. Specifically, how the car is titled, or registered. On your titles, does it say "Ford Mustang GT", or does it say "Ford Mustang Shelby GT"? Any other variations? Or does it say just list the car as "Mustang". I'm in the process of looking for a nice example to import to Canada, and it would be preferable if nowhere on the title it listed the car as a "Shelby". Having the car titled as a "Mustang" or "Mustang GT" would work better for me.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Terry

Here in Florida, my 08 SGT appears on its title only as a 2008 Ford 2D. Niether Mustang or Shelby is stated. -Steve

Thanks again for the responses everyone. It seems as if I'm fortunate the cars are classified as "Mustang" or "Mustang GT". It will make the importation process that much easier.

Again, all the information was very much appreciated.

Terry

Archived