TEAM SHELBY FORUM

tire inflator advise

glroy

I am heading out on a road trip and i am questioning the usefulness of taking the tire inflator. you can use the inflator to fix a flat wit a small hole. when you use it you have to buy a new tps. if you blow a tire on the interstate well the inflator won't fix that. We are covered by ford road side, so if you get a flat on a trip just call for a flatbed.

my vote is to leave the inflator at home. Any cons to this idea??

my vote is to leave the inflator at home. Any cons to this idea??

What if you get a flat that the inflator can fix, say at night or on a holiday, all the flat bed is going to do is tow you to a closed tire shop from which you may have to wait 12 to 36 hours for them to open up for business.

I'm not a big fan of inflators of any type but if it was between giving the inflator a try or waiting 36 hours for a tire shop to open I would try the inflator first. 12 to 36 hours of my time away from home is worth the price of a TPS sensor.

I say carry the inflator. Its not like it takes up that much space.

Steve

What if you get a flat that the inflator can fix, say at night or on a holiday, all the flat bed is going to do is tow you to a closed tire shop from which you may have to wait 12 to 36 hours for them to open up for business.

I'm not a big fan of inflators of any type but if it was between giving the inflator a try or waiting 36 hours for a tire shop to open I would try the inflator first. 12 to 36 hours of my time away from home is worth the price of a TPS sensor.

I say carry the inflator. Its not like it takes up that much space.

Steve

I'd carry it as well. it won't fix a blow out but it could get you out of a tuff spot with a discovered flat.

I'd carry it as well. it won't fix a blow out but it could get you out of a tuff spot with a discovered flat.

Just wondering what's in your spare tire well? What are are you planing on taking instead?

I carry a tire plug kit in the car along with a small tool set. Better and safer than filling the tire with that goop. That's IF you can find the nail or whatever is causing the leak. But I still carry the inflator kit as well. It really doesn't take up that much space.

I always carry the above along with an assortment of fuses, hose clamps, small razor knife, mini flashlight, gloves, large towel, fire extinguisher, jumper cables, etc.

The more chances you give yourself to get out of a jam without the use of a tow truck the better you are.

DS

I carry a tire plug kit in the car along with a small tool set. Better and safer than filling the tire with that goop. That's IF you can find the nail or whatever is causing the leak. But I still carry the inflator kit as well. It really doesn't take up that much space.

I always carry the above along with an assortment of fuses, hose clamps, small razor knife, mini flashlight, gloves, large towel, fire extinguisher, jumper cables, etc.

The more chances you give yourself to get out of a jam without the use of a tow truck the better you are.

DS

This thread begs the question...

Is there any size tire and wheel we could carry that would work as a temp spare for the front or the rear in an emergency without messing up the car? I.E. would a 255 from the front work as a spare on the rear without causing damage to the rear end? I just measured the diameter on my 18" replacement tires, Toyo Proxes, and the diameters for the fronts, 255, and rears,285, are identical. Would having a rear tire that was slightly less wide for 50 miles or so be a problem? Of course it would have to be a non-directional tire? Any suggestions from anyone on a tire that would work?

I would only use the goop if I broke down somewhere unsafe because it destroys the +$120 air pressure sensor in the tire! I like the idea of a plug kit but a correct size and type of spare that would work for the front or rear would be better. A little extra weight on the rear of the car would also not hurt anything either! Even with the new upper and lower control arms, Koni yellow shocks and running at 31lbs on the rears I still get shudder sometimes on launch but it is much better with a full tank of gas. I took out the subwoofer for more trunk space but I think I need to put it back in for a little more weight over the rear tires.

MSB Mustang / Mark

This thread begs the question...

Is there any size tire and wheel we could carry that would work as a temp spare for the front or the rear in an emergency without messing up the car?

MSB Mustang / Mark

There's a thread floating around somewhere that addresses this problem. I think there's a spare tire that will fit the rear of our car and that will also fit in the spare tire well. If you get a flat in the front tire, simply remove a good rear tire (it'll clear the brembo brakes) and place it on the front, and use the spare on the rear. That'll get you off the side of the road and to a place where you can get it fixed.

Someone here will chime in and find that thread.

Archived