TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Non intercooled Whipple owners

Any issues so far with overheating (temp gauge indications)?

I had a non intercooled Vortech and had to be careful during the summer months as the temp gauge would swing way over to the hot side on warm days if I got on it.

Whipple non intercooled is of interest because:

1. It's less expensive the the full blown system

2. I don't want to be close to the limits of my engine (wear and tear) with the intercooled version...upper 300s-low 400s at the wheels seems safe.

But reason 2 will be all for naught if there are overheating issues.

I had a non intercooled Vortech and had to be careful during the summer months as the temp gauge would swing way over to the hot side on warm days if I got on it.

2. I don't want to be close to the limits of my engine (wear and tear) with the intercooled version...upper 300s-low 400s at the wheels seems safe.

hmm, I'm thinking of non intercooled Vortech too. Out here is Arizona I wonder how wise that is... :lurk:

Based on my personal experience, I would advise against it. Was in San Antonio with mine running 7-8lbs of boost. It was only really a problem when the temps were above 85F...which is most of the time in a place like Phoenix.

Found this after my 1st post

When is it right to intercool?

Obviously, intercoolers only work with supercharged or turbocharged vehicles where there is a substantial difference in temperature between the air entering the engine and the cooling medium (the intercooler). Because superchargers heat up the air significantly as they compress it, it is possible for there to be a very large temperature difference between the intercooler (ambient air temperature - 80F degrees or so) and the compressed air (200F - 350F degrees). Superchargers with higher boost will create a hotter discharge, so as you increase your boost, the effects of the intercooler become more and more noticable. In general we would not recommend intercoolers on supercharged engines with less than 8-9psi of boost, as the benefits will not be substantial. Essentially, run an intercooler when only when you running peak boost (i.e. any more boost would cause detonation) for the octane of fuel you use...So while intercoolers work well on higher output superchargers, they are not recommended for lower boost level kits, like an average 6psi street kit. If you're looking for exceptional performance from your engine, consider adding an intercooler to your engine, or consider purchasing a supercharger kit that comes with an intercooler.

http://www.centralvalleyspeed.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408

Based on my personal experience, I would advise against it. Was in San Antonio with mine running 7-8lbs of boost. It was only really a problem when the temps were above 85F...which is most of the time in a place like Phoenix.

85... that's during our winter months. :hysterical:

Well - I have one of the 400HP kits. I like it. I think I have the perfect setup on the car simply because it puts it squarely between a stock Mustang GT and a GT 500, right how it should have been.

Anyway, back to the cooling/heat issue. I sit in traffic in mine, in Southern California and so far have had NO issues at all. It gets damn HOT (to the touch) but I never felt like there was a real issue with it. I just my first track day with it last weekend. 5 -20 minute heats and pushing the car hard and had no issues. I ran 100 octane mixed with 91 just to make sure, but no issues.

You have to keep in mind, Ford WARRANTIES the 400HP kit! We all know that a mfg isn't going to warranty anything that is problematic (at least knowingly).

I also called Whipple when I got my kit to ask what was the smallest pulley I could run without needing an IC. They said I could step down 1, but might experience some "pinging" in warmer temps. Whipple is Fresno, CA...... they KNOW what HOT is....

With the 400HP kit and the 4:10 gears I really like the setup.

The ONLY thing I don't like about the kit is the tune..... It's too rich (as evidenced by the black tailpipes that I have got to clean with a toilet brush constantly) in my opinion. But again, it's to keep it "safe" even in high temp settings.

I would like to know more as well. I'm in Tallahasse, Florida and it gets really hot and humid. I think 400 would be good enough and my local dealer actually has some experience installing them (at least one!).

Horsbyt, Thanks for the response. Have you noticed any changes in your temp gauge (before and after S/C install)?

Also, What is the current pully size and the "step down 1" size...can't find it on the Whipple site

No change in temp. It sits just under the half way mark pretty much all the time. I've never seen it higher.

The pulley size is 4.0" and you can go down to the 3.75" 5-7lbs of boost vs. 8lbs of boost. The 8lbpsi is what they said you can go to and see "some" slight pinging on hot days. I'd probably try it for the heck of it, but too lazy to put the pulley on..

I haven't had any issues with overheating or even noticed a change in the temp gauge reading. Right now I am running the 3.75" pulley. You can notice a difference from the 4" and I would suggest getting it too. It's a 10 minutes swap. I haven't noticed any pinging either although I have access to 93 octane hear in NJ.

No change in temp. It sits just under the half way mark pretty much all the time. I've never seen it higher.

The pulley size is 4.0" and you can go down to the 3.75" 5-7lbs of boost vs. 8lbs of boost. The 8lbpsi is what they said you can go to and see "some" slight pinging on hot days. I'd probably try it for the heck of it, but too lazy to put the pulley on..

I haven't had any issues with overheating or even noticed a change in the temp gauge reading. Right now I am running the 3.75" pulley. You can notice a difference from the 4" and I would suggest getting it too. It's a 10 minutes swap. I haven't noticed any pinging either although I have access to 93 octane hear in NJ.

Thanks for the responses. This setup is sounding good. The reason I keep asking about the temp gauge is because of my previous experience with a non intercooled supercharger.

So maybe a 4" pulley for the summer and 3.75" for the rest of the year.

Bud at SAI told me this kit was an option for an SAI install.

If I got that functional hood scoop with the hole cut in the hood like Chip Beck has, and if/when Chip modifies the SGT strut tower brace to fit with the whipple hood hole...hmmm.

I'll ping you (no pun intended) over the summer as the temps get hotter to see how your S/Cs are doing in heat.

Hummm, I am awfully close to ordering the 400 hp Whipple kit from Ford Racing. My local Ford dealer said they would install it so I have a warrantee and I am many hours (days) away from any Shelby approved mod site. Given that I do not plan on racing my car I have felt the 550 kit is a bit of overkill for me, it costs a lot more and would probably require a different clutch. The 400 kit would put me in the range where the car should have been to begin with and would be in the ball park with the new Chevy Camaro SS and the Dodge Challenger R/T. Besides the polished Whipple would really look nice under the hood. Hate to lose the strut brace but hopefully a reasonable solution will be forthcoming. I guess I could always add the intercooler kit later but realize the cost would be considerably more than doing it from the get go.

Hummm, I am awfully close to ordering the 400 hp Whipple kit from Ford Racing. My local Ford dealer said they would install it so I have a warrantee and I am many hours (days) away from any Shelby approved mod site. Given that I do not plan on racing my car I have felt the 550 kit is a bit of overkill for me, it costs a lot more and would probably require a different clutch. The 400 kit would put me in the range where the car should have been to begin with and would be in the ball park with the new Chevy Camaro SS and the Dodge Challenger R/T. Besides the polished Whipple would really look nice under the hood. Hate to lose the strut brace but hopefully a reasonable solution will be forthcoming. I guess I could always add the intercooler kit later but realize the cost would be considerably more than doing it from the get go.

I emailed Whipple and asked them about why the Roush SC needs an intercooler at 415 HP and the Whipple does not. They said the Whipple design is far more efficient than many other SC's including the Roush. Therefore, it doesn't produce as much heat.

I've been reading and re-reading the instructions for this SC and it really looks doable. Just about all the work in on top of the engine and should be fairly straight forward. Now for some $$$$.

...The pulley size is 4.0" and you can go down to the 3.75" 5-7lbs of boost vs. 8lbs of boost. ...
... Right now I am running the 3.75" pulley. You can notice a difference from the 4" and I would suggest getting it too. It's a 10 minutes swap...

I guess there is an in between size pulley available too, 3.875" unless this is a typo.

I was totally blown away by the power from a non-intercooled kit with a 3.875" pulley.

http://www.vmptuning.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777

I guess there is an in between size pulley available too, 3.875" unless this is a typo.

http://www.vmptuning.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777

They come in 1/8" increments. The smallest you can put on the non-intercooled is 3.75. I confirmed with Whipple before I purchased the pulley. No need to retune etc... with the change either.

They come in 1/8" increments. The smallest you can put on the non-intercooled is 3.75. I confirmed with Whipple before I purchased the pulley. No need to retune etc... with the change either.

The 3.875 might be a good choice to avoid the too rich/black tailpipe 4" and the potential for ping 3.75"

• 2 weeks later...

I had the 400HP kit installed in February of this year.My local dealer installed it so I keep my warranty which I used two weeks later.I have ran it hard with the temps in the mid 90' without any problems.I had it dyno tested, it was 95 degrees running lean pulled 374 rwhp.I will be adding the inter-cooler soon.I can't fell the extra power anymore.

The 3.875 might be a good choice to avoid the too rich/black tailpipe 4" and the potential for ping 3.75"

I have the 3.875 pulley and a custom tune. I still have the black tailpipes, but absolutely no overheating issues. We had several days in the 90's in June and no issues at all. I also have my IAT sensor relocated to the blower side. The car is very quick and the whine is great.

As for power, I got similar results to what Justin @ VMP did. Please note the numbers are STD.

Pro-Dyno Link

Archived