TEAM SHELBY FORUM

5.0 Liter 2011 Confirmed!! 5.4 Liter ALUMINUM Block??

Imatk

Honestly I am not sure about an aluminum block. Sure, the weight aspect would be great and everything, but IMHO the iron block will withstand more abuse, which really has more appeal to me considering the problems SVT and Ford had with the aluminum blocks in the Terminators.

This is great, do not get me wrong, but I think Ford is asking for problems :shrug:

Honestly I am not sure about an aluminum block. Sure, the weight aspect would be great and everything, but IMHO the iron block will withstand more abuse, which really has more appeal to me considering the problems SVT and Ford had with the aluminum blocks in the Terminators.

This is great, do not get me wrong, but I think Ford is asking for problems :shrug:

i hope the same thing, that ford worked out all the problems for the Aluminum so it doesnt end up like the Z06. cant put a SC on them if you want to keep the car running for long

Ford GT's run an all aluminum dry sump version of the 5.4 (supercharged) that some have built up to 1,000 H.P. without a lick of trouble (other than traction).

The aluminum block planned for the 2011 will not have any issues.

Ford GT's run an all aluminum dry sump version of the 5.4 (supercharged) that some have built up to 1,000 H.P. without a lick of trouble (other than traction).

The aluminum block planned for the 2011 will not have any issues.

Good point. So, aluminum a decent idea if they can get the dry sump block into the Mustang, which they failed to do with the current GT500 that uses a wet sump....

Good point. So, aluminum a decent idea if they can get the dry sump block into the Mustang, which they failed to do with the current GT500 that uses a wet sump....

Yeah it looks like it will be the same block as in the Ford GT so there should be NO problems... other than wiping the permagrin from your face when you step on the gas :)

I think the only reason they used a wet sump was because of the current block, I don't think it has anything to do with them not being able to do it in a GT500... wouldn't make any difference really as far as I can tell.

The primary reason the Ford GT runs a dry sump block is because of the lateral G-forces the car generates in turns. If the car ran a wet sump block, the oil would slosh over to one side of the pan (even with baffling in the pan), starve out the oil pump, and subsequently the engine.

The GT500 does not need a dry sump block because it is not capable of generating enough lateral G-forces to cause oil starvation; the car would spin out on you before that happened.

The only other American production car to run a dry sump block is the Corvette Z06 and ZR-1, again because of the lateral G-forces that those cars generate.

The primary reason the Ford GT runs a dry sump block is because of the lateral G-forces the car generates in turns. If the car ran a wet sump block, the oil would slosh over to one side of the pan (even with baffling in the pan), starve out the oil pump, and subsequently the engine.

The GT500 does not need a dry sump block because it is not capable of generating enough lateral G-forces to cause oil starvation; the car would spin out on you before that happened.

The only other American production car to run a dry sump block is the Corvette Z06 and ZR-1, again because of the lateral G-forces that those cars generate.

I honestly wonder why they didn't place an aluminum block in the GT500 with a wet sump... is it somehow not compatible? Just a curious question... because we all know that the Ford GT aluminum block can handle the horsepower, so if it wasn't a question or concern about stress, then why didn't they do it? :headscratch:

I honestly wonder why they didn't place an aluminum block in the GT500 with a wet sump... is it somehow not compatible? Just a curious question... because we all know that the Ford GT aluminum block can handle the horsepower, so if it wasn't a question or concern about stress, then why didn't they do it? :headscratch:

Simple answer. FRPP (their engine supplier really) did not have a wet sump block ready back in late 2006 when the GT500 when into production. I suppose that FoMoCo was more concerned with oil starvation issues in the GT rather than a weight issue in the GT500.

The 5.4 aluminum block (short block) is now available through FRPP so anyone (unless you live in California) can now convert their iron block 5.4 to an aluminum block and shave off about a 175 LBS off the front end.

That's some really neat info :)

I had no idea that's why they did what they did.

I wonder how much converting to the new block would cost after all is said and done.

Simple answer. FRPP (their engine supplier really) did not have a wet sump block ready back in late 2006 when the GT500 when into production. I suppose that FoMoCo was more concerned with oil starvation issues in the GT rather than a weight issue in the GT500.

The 5.4 aluminum block (short block) is now available through FRPP so anyone (unless you live in California) can now convert their iron block 5.4 to an aluminum block and shave off about a 175 LBS off the front end.

yeah to bad for us CA guys.

Or I could just go on a diet and shave off about 100 lbs. of left center wieght.... :hysterical:

Okay Im exagerating...make that about 130 lbs. off me! :hysterical3:

Hm, I see. And furthermore... I can see that it would be easier to simply use the 5.4L iron block as a foundation, considering that it is was/is currently used in the V8 trucks. Efficiency in production, I think, is what they were looking at.

Good info.

The 03-04 Terminator Cobras did not come with Aluminum 4.6L blocks....they are iron.

That's some really neat info :)

I had no idea that's why they did what they did.

I wonder how much converting to the new block would cost after all is said and done.

Well, if I was going to do it, I would also have the block and heads blueprinted too which would add a significant cost to the bill. But if you exclude blueprinting, my guess would be that the bill would run somewhere just north of $4,000.00 (including the price of the FRPP short block) to swap out the heads and internals from the iron block to the aluminum one.

A lot of money, but shaving any unsprung weight off of a 4,000 LB car is significant IMO.

This is good news if its true. Sure looks promising, lets hope the bean counters dont veto it. I think the Ford GT was dry sumped because they were trying to get the engine as low as possible and there was no room for an oil pan...plus cost was no object. The 5.4 in the GT500 is basically an unholy matrimony of Triton truck block and GT heads. Strong, cheap and hefty.

KC666

:rockon:

Discussions about lateral g-forces and efficiency are true, but the iron block saves big money over the aluminum block. No question that this was a money issue. Aluminum has too many advantages over iron not to use it, if all other things were equal. New models are in the design stages for years prior to production, and Ford could easily have designed and built the necessary blocks if it chose to. All Mustang 2005+ GTs have aluminum blocks, for instance. Saving 100 lbs by using an aluminum block would not only help handling, it would increase fuel economy, decrease stopping distance, decrease 0-60 times, 1/4 times, etc., and the list goes on.

I have owned both a 2003 Cobra and a 2007 GT500. I love both cars, have been a Mustang guy my whole life, and I am NOT bashing Ford. However, if you cannot find areas where Ford saved money on a 2007 GT500, then I say you need to look again. The block is only one of several areas where cost took center stage.

Comparing this car, and its engineering and production strategy, to a Ford GT in any way is definitely an over-the-top study in apples and oranges.

I would love to see an aluminum block in the 2011 GT500, and would likely trade if it comes to pass.

As far as I've heard, and this is from somebody that actually just got layed off from SVT, is below.

1) The GT will for sure get the 5.0L modular as confirmed

2) The GT500 will for sure get the Aluminum 5.4L Wet Sump

3) I was confused on the details of this one but supposedly Ford is going to make it so you can easily change the size of the motor. The options are 5.0L, raising the rev limiter, and 5.8L lower the rev limiter. This is supposedly done with sleeves that somehow drop into the motor.

That's all I know.

The GTs (and Mach1s) have had 4.6 alum. blocks for years. These were also used in many other applications, including Marauders, Aviators in 4V variations as were the Mach 1s. There is also the 2010 Cobra Jet coming up that is supposed to have an alum. block option.

Another Article (Looks like a 5.0 SC is in the future for the Shelby)

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/articles/fo...-liter_v8.shtml

I'm not sure this article is entirely accurate. It states that the 4.0L remains the base V6 for 2011, with the 3.5L EcoBoost as the next highest trim, then the 5.0L V8 as the GT, with the GT500 getting a supercharged 5.0L. However, a reliable source from MustangSource has stated the Duratec 37 (3.7L V6) replaces the 4.0L entirely, with the 5.0L in the GT, and an aluminum-block 5.4L supercharged V8 for the GT500. That seems to make more sense - Ford wants to retire the Cologne 4.0L anyway, and using the naturally aspirated 3.7L V6 allows a slot for a 3.5L EcoBoost (GT350, perhaps?).

I'm not sure this article is entirely accurate. It states that the 4.0L remains the base V6 for 2011, with the 3.5L EcoBoost as the next highest trim, then the 5.0L V8 as the GT, with the GT500 getting a supercharged 5.0L. However, a reliable source from MustangSource has stated the Duratec 37 (3.7L V6) replaces the 4.0L entirely, with the 5.0L in the GT, and an aluminum-block 5.4L supercharged V8 for the GT500. That seems to make more sense - Ford wants to retire the Cologne 4.0L anyway, and using the naturally aspirated 3.7L V6 allows a slot for a 3.5L EcoBoost (GT350, perhaps?).

Agreed :)

Archived