TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clear coating your airbag cover

I was wondering if those of you who used a clear coat on your autographed airbag cover have had any problems. Has there been any yellowing, discoloring, or flaking at all?

Did you do it yourself with Krylon or did you have it done professionally? I have read about people doing both ways, but no one has said if they have had problems or would do it differently.

I plan on installing mine in a couple of weeks and would like to have it protected some way.

Thanks,

Dan

Check out these threads:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27221

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26138

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32820

I did a search for autograph and I'm sure there were more so you might want to try that too.

Since most of these are about a year old are there any updates? Anyone regret using the Krylon? I read each of the threads and apparently the Krylon does give a different appearance to the rest of the surfaces since it is now "matted". I just sent my airbag cover off for signature so I am also very concerned with this issue. Actually I am scared to death that something will accidentally happen to the signature someday and it will be gone forever.

That is what I was after. I did search previous threads about what people had done. I've actually had mine autographed for about 3 months now. It's sitting in my safe, but I would rather have on the car.

I am just after the lasting effect like you said. I don't mind paying to have mine coated but if the Krylon is just as good, why not save the money for more mods...

Thanks for the links though.

Dan

I was wondering if those of you who used a clear coat on your autographed airbag cover have had any problems. Has there been any yellowing, discoloring, or flaking at all?

Did you do it yourself with Krylon or did you have it done professionally? I have read about people doing both ways, but no one has said if they have had problems or would do it differently.

I plan on installing mine in a couple of weeks and would like to have it protected some way.

Thanks,

Dan

My advice is don't do it. I ordered an extra air bag cover, coated the signature with Rust-Oleum Painters Touch Crystal Clear Matte finish. I have the silver aluminum ribbed cover. It sat in a temperature controlled environment for a couple of months. When I went to put it on the car, the finish is crackling and looks bad. In my case a $385 mistake ($120 for cover and $265 for signature). Save yourself the headache and leave it alone. Carroll signs with black or silver sharpie which is pretty durable. Just clean with soft rag and water and I think you'll be okay. My .02 of experience.

My advice is don't do it. I ordered an extra air bag cover, coated the signature with Rust-Oleum Painters Touch Crystal Clear Matte finish. I have the silver aluminum ribbed cover. It sat in a temperature controlled environment for a couple of months. When I went to put it on the car, the finish is crackling and looks bad. In my case a $385 mistake ($120 for cover and $265 for signature). Save yourself the headache and leave it alone. Carroll signs with black or silver sharpie which is pretty durable. Just clean with soft rag and water and I think you'll be okay. My .02 of experience.

That's the same interior I have. Thanks for the heads up, hopefully a few more people will chime up before I install it.

How does the sharpie ink hold up to hot temps, very hot?

Mine is over a year old, my car is DD and I live in South Florida and I left my cover alone, the sharpie holds up well, no need for spraying anything on it.

I use air to blow any dust from that area, no wiping. It still looks new.

Archived