TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Thanksgiving Day Arrival

HSURB

I received the call at 11:45 AM on Thanksgiving Day from the dealership owner. The car was dropped off in the middle of the night along with a California Special. Unfortunately, I was over four hours away from the dealer at a family Thanksgiving. I decided to call the trip off short and returned early on Friday. Dam it was a long night. Couldn't get back to sleep after I woke up at 3:45 AM.

It's torch red with the white stripes. The only thing I did not order are the red seat inserts. Just concerned the inserts woudn't match the red exterior.

The car is everything I expected. This board really helped my understand exactly what I would be getting (stipe quality, etc). I've owned many cars and the paint quality, fit and finish is exceptional in "Ford" terms. It doesn't compare to a Lexus in any of these categories, but I didn't buy a Lexus. For the price/performance, this car is a bargain, especially for those that have tried to purchase comparable performance numbers in a foreign car.

I did get the Shaker 1000 and it is well worth the upgrade in my opinion. Over six months ago, I burned a mixed CD delivery day and the stereo does perform. The only downside is the Shaker 1000 does limit trunk space for anyone wanting to use this car for practical purposes. But then again, what is practical about this car!!!

First impression is the overall size of the car. I haven't been around many of the current model Mustangs, and the car is much bigger and bolder than I imagined. I think the back end sits a little high, in fact, the spoiler hits me mid-chest and I'm 5'9".

At the dealership, they gave me a sheet that explained the boost won't kick in until it's been driven 5 consecutive miles (or 50 starts). I marked the mileage, and at exactly 5 miles, I had boost. I haven't pushed it that hard yet, but you can easily tell that 1st gear can get a way from a person in a hurry. At any point in 1st gear, you can easily break the backend loose. If you like the feel of acceleration, this is a car for you.

I'll have photos posted later today. Weather is crappy today, so I'll spend some time getting photos inside.

I can't say enough positive about my dealer. He's been very helpful and stood behind everything he's said.

Will post pics soon.

hsurb

Great news hsurb! Enjoy the car and keep us posted on any unusual things you find so we can all benefit.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Does anyone on the board want a photo of any particular feature, or part, or area of the car. I am going to my buidling to take some shots and could sure get any photos that anyone is looking for.

hsurb

I would like photos of the interior and under the hood and in the trunk. We do not see many of those.

rob

Here are some initial photos of the car with some of the other cars in the stable. I know, I'll have to update the neon sign.

I'll go get some of the interior, under hood and trunk.

hsurb

post-6100-1164566009_thumb.jpg

post-6100-1164566193_thumb.jpg

post-6100-1164566268_thumb.jpg

post-6100-1164566323_thumb.jpg

post-6100-1164566395_thumb.jpg

post-6100-1164566440_thumb.jpg

post-6100-1164566486_thumb.jpg

post-6100-1164566562_thumb.jpg

post-6100-1164566009_thumb.jpg

post-6100-1164566193_thumb.jpg

post-6100-1164566268_thumb.jpg

post-6100-1164566323_thumb.jpg

post-6100-1164566395_thumb.jpg

post-6100-1164566440_thumb.jpg

post-6100-1164566486_thumb.jpg

post-6100-1164566562_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dave.

Does anyone on the board want a photo of any particular feature, or part, or area of the car. I am going to my buidling to take some shots and could sure get any photos that anyone is looking for.

hsurb

I'd like to see the red, white, and blue gauge lights that everyone has talked about.

Thanks,

Dave

Congrats Hsurb...your dealer was open on Thanksgiving Day? :doh:

No, the dealer was not opened. As I mentioned above, the car was dropped at the dealership sometime the night before. The owner of the dealership moved the cars inside Thanksgiving day and then gave me a call on my cell phone.

hsurb

Here are some initial photos of the car with some of the other cars in the stable. I know, I'll have to update the neon sign.

hsurb

Congratulations hsurb,

You have some very nice cars in your stable, buy I would have to believe that your Shelby is the fastest! :happy feet: :shift:

Mtntom

hsurb

Hey hsurb,

The only change you need to make your neon sign is add the word KILLER under the original neon! :finger:

My Shelby is also Red/White Stripes. But I did get the red inserts in the seats.

LOL MTNTOM :drop:

Congratulations hsurb,

You have some very nice cars in your stable, buy I would have to believe that your Shelby is the fastest! :happy feet: :shift:

Mtntom

The only one that would stay relatively close is the '68 Vette with the 427 tri-power.

hsurb

The only one that would stay relatively close is the '68 Vette with the 427 tri-power.

hsurb

Nice stable hsurb, I also noticed the silverstone S2000 in the background. I had to sell my to get the GT500, it's a great car, and that's coming from a long time mustang nut. I had an AP1 and an AP2, both Silverstone/Black. Since you've got both, how big/heavy does the GT500 feel after the S? I know it's comparing apples to oranges, but I'd be curious for your take on it (atleast until I can make my own comparison).

Thanks,

marc

Nice stable hsurb, I also noticed the silverstone S2000 in the background. I had to sell my to get the GT500, it's a great car, and that's coming from a long time mustang nut. I had an AP1 and an AP2, both Silverstone/Black. Since you've got both, how big/heavy does the GT500 feel after the S? I know it's comparing apples to oranges, but I'd be curious for your take on it (atleast until I can make my own comparison).

Thanks,

marc

Marc:

The S2000 is a completely different car. I think it has superior handling, but it doesn't come close to the acceleration or raw power of the GT500. I haven't really pushed the GT500, but it literally scared the sh*t out of me the first time I ran it through the gears. The front end has major lift under acceleration. Major kick in the pants.

Then, take the traction control off, and it is very difficult to deliver the power to the ground in the first two gears. With very little RPM, you can easily break the backend completely loose. With the traction control engaged, you can feel a majority of the performance in the first couple of gears, without having to worry about it coming around on you.

Just my experience.

hsurb

Marc:

The S2000 is a completely different car. I think it has superior handling, but it doesn't come close to the acceleration or raw power of the GT500. I haven't really pushed the GT500, but it literally scared the sh*t out of me the first time I ran it through the gears. The front end has major lift under acceleration. Major kick in the pants.

Then, take the traction control off, and it is very difficult to deliver the power to the ground in the first two gears. With very little RPM, you can easily break the backend completely loose. With the traction control engaged, you can feel a majority of the performance in the first couple of gears, without having to worry about it coming around on you.

Just my experience.

hsurb

Thanks for the observations hsurb. I had put a downpayment on a positive displacement S/C kit for the S2000 prior to selling it, so I was never extremely happy with the torque in the S. I probably will miss the balanced nature and agility of the S, but the Shelby will be back to my roots and I won't look back. Plus, I can put my son in the back of the GT500, not so in the S.

Thanks for the observations hsurb. I had put a downpayment on a positive displacement S/C kit for the S2000 prior to selling it, so I was never extremely happy with the torque in the S. I probably will miss the balanced nature and agility of the S, but the Shelby will be back to my roots and I won't look back. Plus, I can put my son in the back of the GT500, not so in the S.

Let me tell you, there is no comparison with performance. The S2000 is a great handling car, however the GT500 will scare you as far as performance is concerned. Maybe you're much more experienced than I am with this type of car. Is all I can say is hold on. Without the Traction Control engaged, the GT500 can get away from you in a hurry. But what a kick in the pants.

My recommendation for taking someone on a first ride, find a slower side street and keep the GT500 in first gear. Run the RPM up to around 2,800 to 3,000, then punch it (to some degree). Holy sh*t, you'll have their attention. And, this is with the Traction Control engaged. Without it, you'll probably leave around $75 (per back wheel) in rubber on the street in a large semi-circle pattern.

I've had the opportunity to ride or drive a wide range of cars. I would take this over a M5 any day. It doesn't have the sophistication, but it has the out of control raw power I'm looking for in a car that someone owns for pure entertainment.

Hope this helps.

hsurb

Let me tell you, there is no comparison with performance. The S2000 is a great handling car, however the GT500 will scare you as far as performance is concerned. Maybe you're much more experienced than I am with this type of car. Is all I can say is hold on. Without the Traction Control engaged, the GT500 can get away from you in a hurry. But what a kick in the pants.

My recommendation for taking someone on a first ride, find a slower side street and keep the GT500 in first gear. Run the RPM up to around 2,800 to 3,000, then punch it (to some degree). Holy sh*t, you'll have their attention. And, this is with the Traction Control engaged. Without it, you'll probably leave around $75 (per back wheel) in rubber on the street in a large semi-circle pattern.

I've had the opportunity to ride or drive a wide range of cars. I would take this over a M5 any day. It doesn't have the sophistication, but it has the out of control raw power I'm looking for in a car that someone owns for pure entertainment.

Hope this helps.

hsurb

I absolutely appreciate your comments, it's helpful to have something hold me over for the last few days of waiting. The GT500 will be the most horsepower of any car I've had, though I had a 70 Mach 1 351C with over 400 hp as well as a Boss 302 with around the same number. The Mach with an FMX auto would break traction when you hammered it at 80 MPH. I've seen similar behavior in vids of the GT500, so I'm very anxious to see what she'll do.

Thanks again-

hsurb

Beautiful car, Congrats on the car and finding a Dealer that would treat you as well as it seems this one did. A phone call on Thanksgiving, that deserves a good bottle of bubbly. Is that an 82 Yellow Vette I see in your stable? That year and color are my favorite for Corvettes, I think the front and tail end are the best ever and the color rocks. Congrats again.

Beautiful car, Congrats on the car and finding a Dealer that would treat you as well as it seems this one did. A phone call on Thanksgiving, that deserves a good bottle of bubbly. Is that an 82 Yellow Vette I see in your stable? That year and color are my favorite for Corvettes, I think the front and tail end are the best ever and the color rocks. Congrats again.

Kwsmith - that's an '81 yellow vette. It has 18,250 original miles. It's also a 4-speed, which wasn't available in 1982.

Not big on power, but I have always liked to the look of the car.

hsurb

Well, it's about friggin' time! Congrats on the Shelby, HSURB. I think it deserves its rightful place front and center there at the ol' Garage Mahal.

And please, for the love of Christ... holster the Windex already. That Torch Red beast is as Zaino-worthy as they come.

Oh, and the Disco Vette RULES!!!

Well, it's about friggin' time! Congrats on the Shelby, HSURB. I think it deserves its rightful place front and center there at the ol' Garage Mahal.

And please, for the love of Christ... holster the Windex already. That Torch Red beast is as Zaino-worthy as they come.

Oh, and the Disco Vette RULES!!!

ZZ -

The windex is an obsessive compulsive disorder.

You're right ZZ, the disco vette rules. It rules from a land and a time long ago, when an 8-track and an 85 mph speedo were cool - and the oil producing countries had us by the family jewels.

Glad two of the three have changed with time.

hsurb

Did I miss the interior & Trunk photos. :cry:

:baby:

Rob:

I took the photos yesterday, but they are too dark. It's icy and raining here now, so I'm waiting the weather out.

I'm taking the car to a photo studio in the next couple of weeks and I'll get all types of high quality photos of those areas with lighting.

hsurb

• 4 years later...

I received the call at 11:45 AM on Thanksgiving Day from the dealership owner. The car was dropped off in the middle of the night along with a California Special. Unfortunately, I was over four hours away from the dealer at a family Thanksgiving. I decided to call the trip off short and returned early on Friday. Dam it was a long night. Couldn't get back to sleep after I woke up at 3:45 AM.

It's torch red with the white stripes. The only thing I did not order are the red seat inserts. Just concerned the inserts woudn't match the red exterior.

The car is everything I expected. This board really helped my understand exactly what I would be getting (stipe quality, etc). I've owned many cars and the paint quality, fit and finish is exceptional in "Ford" terms. It doesn't compare to a Lexus in any of these categories, but I didn't buy a Lexus. For the price/performance, this car is a bargain, especially for those that have tried to purchase comparable performance numbers in a foreign car.

I did get the Shaker 1000 and it is well worth the upgrade in my opinion. Over six months ago, I burned a mixed CD delivery day and the stereo does perform. The only downside is the Shaker 1000 does limit trunk space for anyone wanting to use this car for practical purposes. But then again, what is practical about this car!!!

First impression is the overall size of the car. I haven't been around many of the current model Mustangs, and the car is much bigger and bolder than I imagined. I think the back end sits a little high, in fact, the spoiler hits me mid-chest and I'm 5'9".

At the dealership, they gave me a sheet that explained the boost won't kick in until it's been driven 5 consecutive miles (or 50 starts). I marked the mileage, and at exactly 5 miles, I had boost. I haven't pushed it that hard yet, but you can easily tell that 1st gear can get a way from a person in a hurry. At any point in 1st gear, you can easily break the backend loose. If you like the feel of acceleration, this is a car for you.

I'll have photos posted later today. Weather is crappy today, so I'll spend some time getting photos inside.

I can't say enough positive about my dealer. He's been very helpful and stood behind everything he's said.

Will post pics soon.

hsurb

Congrats HSURB!!

Do you have more than 5 miles on your car yet? :lurk:

Archived