TEAM SHELBY FORUM

UD Pulleys ; how safe are they ?

Someone told me if the crank pulley does not have a Harmonic Balancer that your crank will be toast. Is the Steeda UD Pulley kit safe? Which ones should we steer away from?

What are the down sides to UD pulleys? Any affect on the AC or charging system? Anyone experience any problems at all?

i've heard of problems with extended open track racing, mostly cooling issues, if your just driving around town your fine. its the long road races that do it apparently. if mostly a drag race part i think

I don't know enough about this sort of thing but I am always left wondering if these things are so so good why don't auto manufacturers do it themselves or figure out a way to get the benefits and limit any possible issues. I worry about things like this that offer so much, sound so easy, cost so little, yet after years are not OEM.

Am I reading it wrong?

I don't know enough about this sort of thing but I am always left wondering if these things are so so good why don't auto manufacturers do it themselves or figure out a way to get the benefits and limit any possible issues. I worry about things like this that offer so much, sound so easy, cost so little, yet after years are not OEM.

Am I reading it wrong?

My experience with underdrive pulleys on my Camaro was the lower charging current at idle because of the slower alternator speed. But as long as you don't spend too much time in stop and go traffic, or sitting at idle for long periods of time, that shouldn't be a problem. Other than that, no problems with overheating or anything.

Am I reading it wrong?

No, you are not.

Being an engineer, I expect there to be a reason for why they designed it like it is. From what I'm hearing, by going to the UD pulleys we are probably eliminating what we call the design margin. So instead of having a little extra capacity to take call of all the load situations, we lose that by going with the UD pulleys.

No, you are not.

Being an engineer, I expect there to be a reason for why they designed it like it is. From what I'm hearing, by going to the UD pulleys we are probably eliminating what we call the design margin. So instead of having a little extra capacity to take call of all the load situations, we lose that by going with the UD pulleys.

As another engineer, I agree with you completely. I am sure that the pulleys were designed to center up the operating margin on either side of the equation for cooling and charge current, for typical driving situations. But most people don't push the car to the limits that a Shelby pilots do. I consider it a little bit of "dumbing down" the envelope for typical drivers.

But is general, Shelby owners operate near the edge anyway, so re-centering the operating conditions to be near the higher RPM and speed parameters seems ok to me. The lower current and cooling flow is going to be made up if you typical run in the higher rev range. But if you drive in stop and go traffic, you may find your battery discharging.

It's just like the brakes. They are sized for typical operating conditions, but if you are going to be pushing the car, upgrading them is fine, but not necessary for stop and go traffic situations.

Ive used Steeda UD's for years. High speed Autocross with 20 minute sessions. Street driving on a Daily driver and so on. They work I dynoed between 6-8hp at the wheels on average after a pulley change. The steeda crank pulley is a rubber balancer so it wont damage the crank because of balance. It does slow accessories down. Not enough to worry about it. I would buy steeda again. If you want low cost bolt ons then pullies work well. If Im not mistaken Steeda, Roush, and Saleen, used pullies on all their entry level cars.

I think they should have made an edition of the car without AC, Power windows, heater, windsheild sprayers, etc.. Honda S2000 CR (Club Racer) and it comes with no AC and no power windows. Kind of a neat option for someone looking to just build a car without some of the parasitic amenities needed for daily driving. And it would get the curb weight down...a little :)

there is nothing wrong with UD pulleys, you will gain hp. I've used the ones i had for over 1 year. Took the car to the track numerous times, took it to Las Vegas a couple of times. Put down about 20k miles on them and no problems at all. I didnt feel any difference on the air conditioning, it was cool as before.

there is nothing wrong with UD pulleys, you will gain hp. I've used the ones i had for over 1 year. Took the car to the track numerous times, took it to Las Vegas a couple of times. Put down about 20k miles on them and no problems at all. I didnt feel any difference on the air conditioning, it was cool as before.

Thanks for the data. That's what I've been looking for.

I think they should have made an edition of the car without AC, Power windows, heater, windsheild sprayers, etc.. Honda S2000 CR (Club Racer) and it comes with no AC and no power windows. Kind of a neat option for someone looking to just build a car without some of the parasitic amenities needed for daily driving. And it would get the curb weight down...a little :)

I remember the '69 Road Runner. Bench seats, plastic covered flooring instead of carpets, no AC, no power steering, no power brakes, no power windows, etc. Just motor, tranny and rear end. :happy feet:

A few links I found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underdrive_pulleys

Interesting thread over here:

http://www.stangplanet.com/forum/fox-body-...ectiveness.html

I thought this was interesting, especially for me never having seen them installed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUOY2q1uGv0

As another engineer, I agree with you completely. I am sure that the pulleys were designed to center up the operating margin on either side of the equation for cooling and charge current, for typical driving situations. But most people don't push the car to the limits that a Shelby pilots do. I consider it a little bit of "dumbing down" the envelope for typical drivers.

But is general, Shelby owners operate near the edge anyway, so re-centering the operating conditions to be near the higher RPM and speed parameters seems ok to me. The lower current and cooling flow is going to be made up if you typical run in the higher rev range. But if you drive in stop and go traffic, you may find your battery discharging.

It's just like the brakes. They are sized for typical operating conditions, but if you are going to be pushing the car, upgrading them is fine, but not necessary for stop and go traffic situations.

+1 what he said.

A thread I started awhile back addressed some of these issues: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...c=40546&hl=

I've had no problem with the Steeda UD pulleys and the gains are noticeable.

Ken

Archived