TEAM SHELBY FORUM

RUSTY REAREND

fred13

Can't wait to see if the 2010 rearends are free or rust...lol

I saw a picture of one posted on another forum. The rusty rear axle on a 2010 GT500 is even worse than the prior years. Ford chose not to paint the pumpkin so it's rusting as well.

I saw a picture of one posted on another forum. The rusty rear axle on a 2010 GT500 is even worse than the prior years. Ford chose not to paint the pumpkin so it's rusting as well.

can of POR15 and a 6 pack, then go beat the snot out of it and call it a day.

of course maybe you will want to do the 6 pack after you beat the snot out of it hehe

Total shame that FORD has not addressed the rust issue, my Focus undercarraige is RUST FREE, so they can do it if they cared.

Not to be disrespectful, but I don't care about a little surface rust on the rear chunk, all I want is to see the car in my garage. :happy feet: :banghead:

Cobra09

To me it's a quality issue. A brand new car should not have any rust on it regardless of where it is; but that's how the axles are coming off the showroom floor - all rusty. It is a shame Ford didn't take the opportunity to improve the quality in this area.

Total shame that FORD has not addressed the rust issue, my Focus undercarraige is RUST FREE, so they can do it if they cared.

Why the Focus is rust free and their flagship performance car features a rusty axle is just beyond me. Guess I'm just somewhat sensitive to this since I spent a weekend removing the rust then priming and painting the axle. It's satisfying now but it sure wasn't while doing the work; completely un-necessary if Ford would have taken the time to do this right. :soapbox:

rust_on_axle_1.jpg

LT_AXLE_PNTD.jpg

Mines good.happy%20feet.gif

Took a little work....but it's good. :)

th_ValveStemcracking024.jpg

th_ValveStemcracking025.jpg

That is going to be my winter project...

Grabber, I think i would use 4 jackstands with the wheels off... I have seen sissor jacks fail... Seen floor jacks fail too...

To me it's a quality issue. A brand new car should not have any rust on it regardless of where it is; but that's how the axles are coming off the showroom floor - all rusty. It is a shame Ford didn't take the opportunity to improve the quality in this area.

After seeing the pictures I concur! Forgive my previous remarks. Old people like me have very little trouble getting down, it is the getting back up that is a problem. :hysterical:

Cobra09

I fully agree. I can't see why Ford would skimp on this rather minor detail. Bizarre...I would have never thought that this would be something to look for on a new $50,000 car.

After seeing the pictures I concur! Forgive my previous remarks. Old people like me have very little trouble getting down, it is the getting back up that is a problem. :hysterical:

Cobra09

Yup I hear you I detailed mine on a lift & when the TSB was done I brought the drive shaft home & removed the rust & cleared it instead of painting it black as you cover all the markings.

That is going to be my winter project...

Grabber, I think i would use 4 jackstands with the wheels off... I have seen sissor jacks fail... Seen floor jacks fail too...

I did not go under the car with it like that. I took my wheels into the dealer to have the cracked valve stems replaced and snapped those pic's. My but has been painted for over a year now.

I did not go under the car with it like that. I took my wheels into the dealer to have the cracked valve stems replaced and snapped those pic's. My but has been painted for over a year now.

That's really awesome! Of course, a project for me too, at some point.

I guess my question would be... I know that a little surface rust isn't going to hurt anything, but honestly... after a few years that rust is going to grow into the dif and really start eating things away. Really, it doesn't seem to be such a big surprise to me that those of us that don't treat the rearend are going to have issues if nothing is done. That really makes me scratch me head knowing that... it wouldn't be that big of a task for Ford to paint/treat them at the factory.

Just another one of those things, I guess! <_<

EXACTLY. new car should have NO rust, no excuse for it at all, they simply don't care or it would be resolved by now.

Can't wait to see if the 2010 rearends are free or rust...lol

Just got my car,which was built 6/3 and no rust,so far.Do you think i should just spray some clear on it.or do the "frame" black spray,like I use on my GTO--its a semi-gloss black --

Thanks for the great pictures. Your car is just drop dead gorgeous in that color! Wow.

Looking at these beautiful cars on a daily basis is not making it easy waiting for 2 more months for mine to hopefully arrive...it's torture in some respects! LOL!

My '10 rear is rusted, but the pumpkin cover is painted black and is rust free.

yup, mine looks the same...

That is just awful, there is no excuse for that. You have a 50k car that should be delivered RUST FREE.

FORD SIMPLY DOES NOT CARE AT ALL. FACT

My KR is just as bad, my 07' was even worse, fricken joke.

yup, mine looks the same...

Ive got to do something BEFORE mine looks like that.Suggestions??--Ive restored old muscle cars,and use a product called Extend that kills the rust, which is an actual organism, then turns the metal kind of gray/black.The i put on smei-gloss frame black paint i get from Eastwood.Its lasted a long time.But since mine isnt rusted yet, im thinking clear might do the trick. The POR stuff is magically,but to me alot more work

Archived