TEAM SHELBY FORUM

No Limited-Slip diff?

That's a pretty major screw up but the reality is any dealer can work this through with you. First let's see what the solution is going to be, if any, and then worry about where it will get done.

Yes, you are right. But my main issue is not getting it added by a dealer, but how can a major automobile manufacturer screw up something this big? Now I feel as though I should be going over the whole car to make sure everything else is correct:

Right wheel size?

Are there really side airbags installed?

Check the differential? Is it really a 3.55? :headscratch:

Now it comes down to a matter of trust. If I hadn't read this thread, I may never have noticed that anything was missing from my car. And in addition, didn't anyone at Shelby notice that the traction control and the button were missing from my dash? Maybe they just didn't have time to notice, but it still seems to be a major breakdown in the factory to NOT install a major standard feature. It's not like they never saw a GT come down the line before.

Before I bought the car, the sales droid told me about how great the Navigation system and the Sirius radio were. And I already knew that because I had Sirius radio in my V6 Mustang that I traded in. So I buy the car, and guess what? NO SIRIUS RADIO option installed in the system. It wasn't optioned, even though it was only a $195 option. And it isn't a retrofit item....grrrrr. Now I'm not going to say that I wouldn't have bought the car anyway, but now I realize I should have checked it out myself before I "assumed" that anything the guy said was true. He probably just "assumed" also.

So, who's fault is that? Mine. I should have checked it out. But when it comes to traction control, and it's on the window sticker, who in their right mind would expect a customer to personally check for that??

And now, my car is instantly devalued (until this is fixed). Personally, I think Ford owes me more than "oops, we forgot about that. You caught us. Here's your traction control!"

I really hope that this is a clerical issue, and not really a FORD screwup, because this is now a credibility/trust issue. I am stopping by the dealership after work. I will let you know what I find out.

Dude...if your joking this is stupid...try pushing down on the button and see if an 'OFF" text lights up next to the hazard button, never seen this before, did you buy this car new? Maybe the TCS imprint was missed on the printing?

Or someone is screwing around?

No, not joking. It's just a hard piece of plastic to fill the hole in the dash, just like on my 2007 V6 Mustang. And as you can see, there is no printing on the button. It's just a dummy piece of hard plastic. Yes, I bought this car new with 40 miles on it from Chino Hills Ford in March 09.

I bet adding TCS is a short harness & switch and an ECM reflash.

No major deal.

I'm hoping that is true, since in my experience, Traction control uses all the same hardware as the Antilock brakes do, but also adding the capability to differentially brake and retard the spark. I am hoping that no more plumbing is required.

I used to think that the factory was a much safer place to install major components on a car, rather than the dealer.

But now I am having to rethink that.

:banghead:

Consider yourself lucky all instructors I had said to shut it off when having fun....some guys on other forums were looking to make a key on bypass to keep from hitting the switch after starting the car...this is good not bad and a pretty strange anomoly...

Actually it is bad. I don't consider leaving off the traction control to be a lucky break. I think "I" would like to be the one to decide when I turn off my traction control, not FORD (and permanently!)

Look at the bright side! You may be the owner of the ONLY SGT GO WITHOUT Traction Control!!!!!!! Now how many GO Owners can claim that one??!!! :)

I saw an 08 VB without the left hand side buttons for the Info/Dash buttons. He said they're on the actual dial face. Is it there for the T/C on yours?

Look at the bright side! You may be the owner of the ONLY SGT GO WITHOUT Traction Control!!!!!!! Now how many GO Owners can claim that one??!!! :)

I saw an 08 VB without the left hand side buttons for the Info/Dash buttons. He said they're on the actual dial face. Is it there for the T/C on yours?

Thanks Cliff. You are always a ray of sunshine on a dark and dismal day. :slapfight:

And, No my buttons for the info/dash appear to be in the correct place.

So anyway, here's an update. I stopped at Chino Hills Ford yesterday. I met with George, the service manager. Nice guy. He said Ford had contacted him and that he needed a copy of my Window Sticker. So I gave him the copy of my scanned sticker. And he also confirmed that my car has NO traction control!! So hopefully, Ford will come back and do the right thing, and in my opinion, the only LEGAL thing.

But I'm still wondering... Why does Ford need a copy of my window sticker?

1. They obviously already know what standard equipment is on a 2008 Mustang / GT Shelby GT.

2. THEY printed the sticker in the first place, so they know what they printed.

3. THEY can pull up a copy of the sticker whenever they feel like it.

4. THEY already told me on the phone that the traction control was not on the build list.

= MAJOR FORD SCREWUP

So were they hoping that I didn't have a copy of of my sticker? Were they looking for a sleazy way out of this situation? This makes me nervous and I feel as though Ford is going to pull some corporate bull**** and try and walk away from this.

I hope to find out soon. I will update you all.

of course Ford will take care of it and I highly doubt they are out to screw you. TO be honest I would keep it the way it is becuase now it truely is a rare car. Who needs traction control anyway

of course Ford will take care of it and I highly doubt they are out to screw you. TO be honest I would keep it the way it is becuase now it truely is a rare car. Who needs traction control anyway

But how will I drive through the snow? :rant2:

UPDATE on my traction control.

I NOW have traction control.

I took my car into Chino Hills Ford this morning, to have them take a look at the status of my traction control. The service manager, George Keith, had a technician look under the hood. And lo and behold, the Traction control module really was there, and so was the unconnected wiring harness. He called me on the phone at work to confirm that all I needed was a new button console with the Traction control button. I told him that was great news. And then I asked him how long it would take to order the parts. And he said "no need to wait". He went into the new car lot and took it from a car on the lot so I could have it right away. They will just replace the one they took from the sacrificial Mustng when the replacement part comes in.

So, I will finally have the traction control defeat switch. He confirmed to me that without the switch, the traction control was really never on.

So, I have to tell you, George Keith, the service manager at Chino Hills Ford went above and beyond to get this done for me. I appreciate his response to my issue, and for going to bat with me with Ford.

• 2 weeks later...

One last thing here- the traction control system prevents unnecessary wheel spin. It does this by either backing off the throttle (on the S197- with the electronic throttle) AND/OR by pulsing the brakes to slow the wheel(s) down (through the ABS system). It is NOT Stability Control, and will not pulse all four brakes to keep you going in a straight line (such as those on the F-150 and Expedition).

It is my understanding that NOT all GT or SGT models came with a limited slip differential because having both are not needed. While many racers do not like the computer limiting power while driving, on the street having two devices (TCS and a LSD) doing the same job (preventing wheel spin) is redundant. A great example is the TCS system used on the OPEN differential equipped Crown Victoria models.

Mark,

Glad you got the TCS taken care of.. Personally, like almost everyone else, I would have left it alone just for the rarity of it..but I understand your concern.. Never worry about Ford, for a few reasons.. Ford asked for your build sheet to probably ascertain where the foul up occured, ford used to buy back cars by the droves to determine where failures would happen before they could happen.. Ford is a great company, they never took any bail out money because they manage it well and are into so many things, aerospace for example.. I have always worked on everything, but when you get down to the design of motors etc etc,,,Ford wins hands down, they are inovative and don't keep "so-so" technology around.. Enjoy your piece of history and drive like you stole it.. I did mine!

GNB

I don't ever think to turn mine off. I wonder if it would help (or hurt) my autocross times....

You should definitely be turning the TCS off when you're on the track, ilmor. I made the mistake of leaving it on once and it nearly piled me up into a wall.

Like socal said, once it kicks in, you don't have much control over which direction it throws you. I only use the TCS in the rain or when I'm not trying to look cool on the freeway. ;)

On a related note, does anyone have an idea of how to turn the TCS off by default? Any quick fix?

Ken

Mark,

Glad you got the TCS taken care of.. Personally, like almost everyone else, I would have left it alone just for the rarity of it..

I appreciate your sentiment.....

But, that really doesn't make much sense if you think about it.

I agree that having a rare car is desirable. But unless that "rareness" is part of the options list, or an official record by Ford or Shelby, this type of rareness is useless. As far as Ford is concerned, it was designed to have Traction Control installed and they thought that it HAD it, but obviously someone screwed up and left it out. And the only reason that they knew about it was because I told them.

So, what to stop anyone else (even you) from simply unplugging their Traction Control switch, replace it with a V6 button bexel, and then claim the same rareness?

Go ahead, I won't tell a soul :hysterical:

Mark,

I thought you said the build sheet and ford listed it as not installed.. If this is the case, it would make it rare.. Not as in you ordered it that way but rare like a Lady I met with a 67 mustang ragtop with the paint code intentionally left blank, she actually delivered corvette yellow to the factory and they painted it that way for her.. Just a small thing for certain but makes it rare like someone said about a doublestamped penny, thats all..

Would I pull the traction control out and replace it with a V6 bezel, no, traction control is listed on my build sheet.

I have changed many things about the car, supercharger, hood, scoops rims etc, in no way though am I trying to give the impression that any of those thing were inadvertantly left off or changed by SAI or Ford.

Still, I am glad you were able to work things out with Ford so fast, but then I am not surprised either.

GNB

Archived