TEAM SHELBY FORUM

No Limited-Slip diff?

I bought my GT a week ago. One of the things I thought was standard on these was a limited-slip differential.

I found out mine has an open diff in an odd way. My wife was driving it for the first time going to my parent's house. As they have a fairly steep driveway entrance I cautioned her to approach it slowly at a shallow angle. She did fine except she stopped just as the right rear wheel was in the deepest part of the angle, and it started spinning. She gave up then, so I rolled it back enough to get some grip and get on up the driveway.

I have not checked the window sticker for the car yet. But I'm a bit disappointed.

Anyone know what a Ford dealer charges to install an LSD?

I bought my GT a week ago. One of the things I thought was standard on these was a limited-slip differential.

I found out mine has an open diff in an odd way. My wife was driving it for the first time going to my parent's house. As they have a fairly steep driveway entrance I cautioned her to approach it slowly at a shallow angle. She did fine except she stopped just as the right rear wheel was in the deepest part of the angle, and it started spinning. She gave up then, so I rolled it back enough to get some grip and get on up the driveway.

I have not checked the window sticker for the car yet. But I'm a bit disappointed.

Anyone know what a Ford dealer charges to install an LSD?

theyr limited slip, or we would be doing one legger burn outs. you can get them changed to a different brand or different lsd for under 1000,

Turn off your traction control. It is a button on the dash. It defeats your limited slip for safety reasons in ordinary driving.

Jim

Yup. The GT comes with a lomited slip. Remember, its not a posi locker, so its going to apply the

power to the tire that has the most traction....only when one tire has better grip than the other.

IS

So it's not a conventional clutch-type limited slip?

How does traction control defeat it?

The traction control attempts to not let one side of the car ahead of the other and, in doing so, it diminishes power on top of everything else it is doing. The last thing you would want is no control of the power. Try it with the TC off and, if that does not do it, Stump's Jeep trick is the ultimate remedy (use with the TC off).

Jim

Turn off your traction control. It is a button on the dash. It defeats your limited slip for safety reasons in ordinary driving.

Jim

Traction control has nothing to do with the limited slip differential! We do not have the sophistication of an electronically controlled locker in our cars. All our TCS functions involve spark, fuel and timing. The ABS will function in sync with the TCS to keep the car straight.

It is a standard 8.8 Trak-Lok. A simple test would be to: Chock the front wheels, jack both rears until they both just clear the pavement, put car in neutral, spin one rear tire by hand. If the opposite rear tire spins the same direction, its a Trak-lok. If the opposite rear tire spins opposite direction, its an open differential.

The factory breakaway torque on a new Trak-Loc differential is 80-100 ft.- lbs, whereas a used unit needs only 20 ft.-lbs. to break away.

These are great rear axles. They are comparable witht the GM 12-bolts as far as strength, with the axles being their weakest link. Upgrading to an Auburn or Eaton posi with 31 spline axles makes them almost bulletproof!

I've had/have other limited-slip axles. None of them would get stuck like that.

I guess I'll verify that like you said. Should be able to jack up just one wheel and see if it will turn.

Should not turn by hand with the other wheel on the ground.

I've had/have other limited-slip axles. None of them would get stuck like that.

I guess I'll verify that like you said. Should be able to jack up just one wheel and see if it will turn.

Should not turn by hand with the other wheel on the ground.

NO that is not true, you will need both rear tires off the ground, an open rear will spin the tire in the opposite direction.

Mike

Dude find a big blacktop parking lot, do the right thing burn the crap outta the rear tires preferably in a 50yard long drift, two stripes=locker.

One stripe=take it back for warranty service.

:peelout:

That simple. :peelout:

much funner than a jack and all that...

Jim

OK, I have to plead "stupid" on this. There is a traction control defeat switch? Where is this magic switch, because I don't see it.

OK, I have to plead "stupid" on this. There is a traction control defeat switch? Where is this magic switch, because I don't see it.

Upper right on the center stack....says TCS .

Much better off when having fun off hwy.

Sorry, there is no such switch on my car. It must be an option that I don't have.

what kind of mustang do you have? no TCS switch????? hmmmmm

If its a SGT it SHOULD have a 355 trac loc and if it doesnt it needs to go to the dealer (someone could of swapped it/stole it) and have it replaced. if its not a SGT you need to look at the build sheet and see if it was optioned.

Dude...if your joking this is stupid...try pushing down on the button and see if an 'OFF" text lights up next to the hazard button, never seen this before, did you buy this car new? Maybe the TCS imprint was missed on the printing?

Or someone is screwing around?

That's odd! traction control is standard equipment but the switch should be in between your cig lighter plug and your hazard flasher switch.

mine loooks the same as this, and it lights up "OFF" when you shut it off....

mine loooks the same as this, and it lights up "OFF" when you shut it off....

But I don't have a switch, or a light. It's just a hard piece of plastic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Antilock Braking system and the Traction control system contained in the same piece of hardware?

And isn't this it? post-24803-1245170569_thumb.jpg

post-24803-1245170569_thumb.jpg

Just as a followup, I just got off the phone with FORD. The guy in the phone looked up my VIN and he checked the build list. He told me that the car was built WITHOUT a traction control option. I told him that was impossible.

The conversation went like this:

FORD: "This car came from the factory without Traction Control"

ME: "But it came from the factory as a Mustang GT. Traction Control is standard"

FORD: " I don't show it on the options list"

ME: "Well that's probably because it isn't an option. It's supposed to be standard equipment! It's on the window sticker. Take a look"

FORD: "It doesn't show it on my options list"

ME: "So do you mean it isn't on the option list or it wasn't on the build list?"

FORD: "All I can tell you is that there is no checkmark for Traction Control. I will open an issue with the dealer"

ME: "But the dealer didn't build the car. FORD did"

FORD: "That's all I can do. You need to take it to the dealer and in a couple days, we will get back to you"

If this car does not have traction control installed, this is going to become a major issue between me and Ford. Not only is this a pain, but I am moving 1400 miles away in two weeks, and now I would have to deal with multiple dealers, etc. I hope this is just a clerical error, and not an actual major screwup by Ford. It's already waiting for a new scoop and stripes from Shelby, and a new side scoop from Ford, and NOW a possible installation of a major missing component? How long am I supposed to be without my car (that I have had less than three months), while I am making huge payments on it?

this is really weird.

1) do regular Mustang GT's have Traction Control?

2) do all Shelby GT's have Traction control?

3) is yours a Shelby GT, or a Mustang GT

Ive had a 2006 GT, a 2005 V6, and a 2007 Shelby GT and they all had the traction control button. Its a button that says TCS to the right of my cigarrette lighter.

Just as a followup, I just got off the phone with FORD. The guy in the phone looked up my VIN and he checked the build list. He told me that the car was built WITHOUT a traction control option. I told him that was impossible.

The conversation went like this:

FORD: "This car came from the factory without Traction Control"

ME: "But it came from the factory as a Mustang GT. Traction Control is standard"

FORD: " I don't show it on the options list"

ME: "Well that's probably because it isn't an option. It's supposed to be standard equipment! It's on the window sticker. Take a look"

FORD: "It doesn't show it on my options list"

ME: "So do you mean it isn't on the option list or it wasn't on the build list?"

FORD: "All I can tell you is that there is no checkmark for Traction Control. I will open an issue with the dealer"

ME: "But the dealer didn't build the car. FORD did"

FORD: "That's all I can do. You need to take it to the dealer and in a couple days, we will get back to you"

If this car does not have traction control installed, this is going to become a major issue between me and Ford. Not only is this a pain, but I am moving 1400 miles away in two weeks, and now I would have to deal with multiple dealers, etc. I hope this is just a clerical error, and not an actual major screwup by Ford. It's already waiting for a new scoop and stripes from Shelby, and a new side scoop from Ford, and NOW a possible installation of a major missing component? How long am I supposed to be without my car (that I have had less than three months), while I am making huge payments on it?

That's a pretty major screw up but the reality is any dealer can work this through with you. First let's see what the solution is going to be, if any, and then worry about where it will get done.

this is really weird.

1) do regular Mustang GT's have Traction Control?

2) do all Shelby GT's have Traction control?

3) is yours a Shelby GT, or a Mustang GT

Ive had a 2006 GT, a 2005 V6, and a 2007 Shelby GT and they all had the traction control button. Its a button that says TCS to the right of my cigarrette lighter.

According to the window sticker, ALL Mustang GTs have traction control as standard equipment. Since all Shelby GTs start out from Ford as Mustang GTs, that means all Shelby GTs have traction control installed. And there is no delete at Shelby.

<------ And as you can see from my profile and picture to your left, I certainly do have a Shelby GT (or the most expensive f%^&ing Mustang GT that Ford ever built)

08SGT0096

According to the window sticker, ALL Mustang GTs have traction control as standard equipment. Since all Shelby GTs start out from Ford as Mustang GTs, that means all Shelby GTs have traction control installed. And there is no delete at Shelby.

<------ And as you can see from my profile and picture to your left, I certainly do have a Shelby GT (or the most expensive f%^&ing Mustang GT that Ford ever built)

08SGT0096

Consider yourself lucky all instructors I had said to shut it off when having fun....some guys on other forums were looking to make a key on bypass to keep from hitting the switch after starting the car...this is good not bad and a pretty strange anomoly...

Archived