TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford GT cam swap?

Nascort

Was just wondering if anyone has done the Ford GT cam swap on their Shelby yet? IF so, how is the performance gain. I've never dug into a modular engine yet, but this swap looks faily easy for a backyard mechanic.

The cam used to be the cheapest HP upgrade you could do for a pushrod engine. I know the GT make 50 more horse than the Shelby, is that because of the cams and a tune only?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=9603

Was just wondering if anyone has done the Ford GT cam swap on their Shelby yet? IF so, how is the performance gain. I've never dug into a modular engine yet, but this swap looks faily easy for a backyard mechanic.

The cam used to be the cheapest HP upgrade you could do for a pushrod engine. I know the GT make 50 more horse than the Shelby, is that because of the cams and a tune only?

I'm having the ford racing hotrod cams installed by the dealer so if it screws up they will warranty their work. I seen the you tube video and it sound incredible. I'm just going for the sound but it's should be about 25 to 30 hp at the wheels.

Anthony

I'm having the ford racing hotrod cams installed by the dealer so if it screws up they will warranty their work. I seen the you tube video and it sound incredible. I'm just going for the sound but it's should be about 25 to 30 hp at the wheels.

Anthony

I'm at work right now and youtube is blocked. I tried to look up the cams in FRPP catalog only to find the GT ones I mentioned above and the hot rod 3v cams.... cant find any hot rod 4v cams. What is the part number for these?

Paulie

I'm at work right now and youtube is blocked. I tried to look up the cams in FRPP catalog only to find the GT ones I mentioned above and the hot rod 3v cams.... cant find any hot rod 4v cams. What is the part number for these?

Paulie

I'm not a 100% sure I think you can use the cams in the 4.6L and 5.4L you should call Ford racing. If not comp cams had a listing for your car.

Anthony

One of my friends did this and we both felt it is not worth the performance gain unless you are going to also do the rods and run high RPM. He picked up about 25 HP and it is a ton of labour to do them. If I was building one of these engines from the ground up absolutely it would be on the list; to do it in chassis and spend that much money seems like a waste.

Look through this....need to do the Engine Front Cover, Timing Drive Components R&I and then the Camshaft R&I sections...if you don't have the tools, space and skills to do this yourself you are going to spend a fortune in a shop on labour.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=175

Saw the comment on aftermarket cams...not sure I would go that route unless you know someone who has them and can attest to how they are working. I have heard nothing but problems with idle instability after doing aftermarket cams....and not in a cool thump thump way either...

I did the FGT high lift cams in my 07 GT500 along with alot of other mods. We should have done a forged lower end at the same time. I won't do it again unless I was doing the lower end. We did end up making 723rwhp on a TVS @ 22lbs of boost.

Archived