TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 KR Axle Backs

DPHSOONER

Archangel in Tulsa just finished putting them on. Curtis the Owner/Mgr is a pleasure to work with. There were 3 other gt500's in the shop at the time and he goes the extra mile. Very pleased and would highly recommend these axle backs. :happy feet:

Archangel in Tulsa just finished putting them on. Curtis the Owner/Mgr is a pleasure to work with. There were 3 other gt500's in the shop at the time and he goes the extra mile. Very pleased and would highly recommend these axle backs. :happy feet:

do you know what part number these mufflers are.

Dumb question of the day: What the heck is an "Axle Back"?

There never is a dumb question as the saying goes. It is the last portion of the exhaust system from the axle back. It includes the muffler, a inlet pipe and the tail pipe. It controls the sound of your exhaust. There are a ton of quality companies that manufacture an axle back muffler. Each has it's own sound and characteristics. For as many different systems, there are 100 opinions both positive and negative for each system. Most folks end up with exactly what they want, which is the way it should be.

There never is a dumb question as the saying goes. It is the last portion of the exhaust system from the axle back. It includes the muffler, a inlet pipe and the tail pipe. It controls the sound of your exhaust. There are a ton of quality companies that manufacture an axle back muffler. Each has it's own sound and characteristics. For as many different systems, there are 100 opinions both positive and negative for each system. Most folks end up with exactly what they want, which is the way it should be.

LOL! It's from "the axle, on back." Now I get it!

BTW, I can't imagine a sweeter sound than my stock KR, especially when the boost gauge is swinging to the right!

I just took my KR's back off.

Just for my 40th conversion... ;) I plan on putting them back on when I get the car back because they sound sweet! :shades:

I have these on my GT500... I left the X-Pipe on as the sound is a little nicer than with the H-Pipe (my opinion only..!). The car sounds as good as it looks now..! :happy feet: Good deep rumble on idle, No droning at all, completely quiet at 2500 rpm ready for the supercharger to kick in..! :shift:

The H-pipe will give you a slightly louder sound with stock manifolds, but you will lose 5-15 HP depending on modifications. In your case Switz (Steve) with your Kenne Bell SS, don't even think about the H-pipe...if anything, you should do some longtube headers to let your SS breathe..

ALex

Check out this post for some sound clips with different combos with my MMS MAC axleback on different cars....I have 4 of these in stock if anyone wants...$545 SHIPPED anywhere in the lower 48. Flow and sound are different than anything else in my opinion and from all my testing. These are custom made with an extra baffle for quieter sound onl available thru me...

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...=SGT+MMS+TrEVOR

Alex

The H-pipe will give you a slightly louder sound with stock manifolds, but you will lose 5-15 HP depending on modifications. In your case Switz (Steve) with your Kenne Bell SS, don't even think about the H-pipe...if anything, you should do some longtube headers to let your SS breathe..

ALex

Thanks Alex....good to see you on here again.

Man I want a set of those KR mufflers for my GT500. Is the fitment of the tips as good as the factory axle back? Also, where can I get a good set and what is a fair price to pay for them?

Brian

YES GREAT FITMENT, LOOK MEAN WITH RESONATORS...BUY EM THRU EVOLUTION PERFORMANCE. 550.00 SAME DAY SHIPPING. I HAD A GUY TAKE OFF OLD ONES AND INSTALL EM FOR 95.00. HE HAD PUT SEVERAL PAIR ON GT500'S IN TULSA SO I FELT PRETTY COMFORTABLE HE WOULDNT SCREW UP.

YES GREAT FITMENT, LOOK MEAN WITH RESONATORS...BUY EM THRU EVOLUTION PERFORMANCE. 550.00 SAME DAY SHIPPING. I HAD A GUY TAKE OFF OLD ONES AND INSTALL EM FOR 95.00. HE HAD PUT SEVERAL PAIR ON GT500'S IN TULSA SO I FELT PRETTY COMFORTABLE HE WOULDNT SCREW UP.

It takes less than an hour to do it yourself. Pretty hard to screw it up, the pipe ends are notched to fit in only one position. It's a basic bolt on job that anybody can do in the driveway...

Man I want a set of those KR mufflers for my GT500. Is the fitment of the tips as good as the factory axle back? Also, where can I get a good set and what is a fair price to pay for them?

Brian

They fit perfectly. Keep in mind these are the same mufflers that are installed on the high-dollar GT500KR models.

Here's where I got mine, took two days from order to install: http://www.blueovalindustries.com/products.php?pid=99013360

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

+100

And with just a couple of tools required:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=768203

Help me out here guys.......

I thought getting KR parts was impossible because they wanted to maintain "exclusivity"? can we buy the real KR exhaust?

I heard the KR exhaust when I was at SAI..... it is a great sound. The SS exhaust is more understated and is overpowered by the blower sound at WOT in the SS but the exhaust on the KR was stronger....

I may consider KR exhaust for my SS if it is indeed available at this price.

Ron

Help me out here guys.......

I thought getting KR parts was impossible because they wanted to maintain "exclusivity"? can we buy the real KR exhaust?

I heard the KR exhaust when I was at SAI..... it is a great sound. The SS exhaust is more understated and is overpowered by the blower sound at WOT in the SS but the exhaust on the KR was stronger....

I may consider KR exhaust for my SS if it is indeed available at this price.

Ron

They are just Ford Racing mufflers - M-5230-S. Relatively inexpensive, easy to install and sound great.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...tKeyField=10563

They are just Ford Racing mufflers - M-5230-S. Relatively inexpensive, easy to install and sound great.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...tKeyField=10563

$539 Shipped, from Blue Oval too

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/products.php?pid=99013360

Where I got mine, no complaints and d*mn, that sound! How it should be!

:happy feet:

They even look better, IMHO, (see the pics from Blue Oval) with the style of the tip and it being a bit bigger diameter.

Archived