TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hey buddy, can you spare a spare?

yraegel

So I was drooling over the specs and photos at the 2010 Mustang site when I noticed that the GT500 apparently doesn't have a spare tire. Instead there's an inflation kit or "Tire Mobililty Kit" as they put it in the pdf. My first Shelby's on order, so this is new to me. I imagine the '07 through '09 models have the same thing. I can think of a couple of reasons for it, primarily different diameter tires and weight (?). But this brought up a couple of questions:

First, what, if anything, do they do with the space?

And since I don't intend to leave it parked in the garage all shiny and new, I was wondering what anyone's experience has been with the wonderfully named Tire Mobility Kit? I've averaged less than 7,000/year with my '06 GT and I plan on taking a few road trips so I'm a bit concerned about getting stranded in the middle of New Mexico wth a simple flat tire.

Thanks to anyone who can share their knowledge and please don't tell me you don't like the rear end. I heard all about that already.

(Under Models and Features)

http://www.fordvehicles.com/the2010mustang/

:shift:

When my SGT was stock, I bought an extra wheel and tire and put it in the truck for the reasons you cite. The GT500 guys have said that you can get a "front" GT500 wheel and tire and it will fit in a 2005-2009 trunk. I do not know about a 2010 model, though. For a jack, I bought an inflatable one. If you get far enough that you want information on that item, let me know.

Jim

Yeah, I was thinking a new tire purchase was in the future. I hadn't gotten as far as visualizing a jack purchase too... So you carry a compressor? That isn't a bad idea anyway. More visualizing...

I guess we carry a compressor as that is part of the contraption that comes with the car. An air jack is a device that folds flat, is slipped under the car and is then inflated with the car's exhaust. The advantages over a scissors jack is that it can be used anywhere, even where it is wet, slippery, sandy, etc. It lifts the car in under 30 seconds.

Jim

All the other models come with the "Mini Spare Tire". Can't cost too much.

It comes with a tire pressure monitoring system,so I wonde why they didnt just use "run flats" like the Vettes have had for years.The tires are about the same price.Are you sure they dont have 'runflats" on the car??

All the other models come with the "Mini Spare Tire". Can't cost too much.

"Mini" spares won't clear the larger brake calipers on the GT500...

And regular/full-size wheels & tires don't fit into the wheel well in the trunk :censored:

Now why they weren't included with the Shelby GTs???

However, I have purchased everything (tire, jack, lug wrench, hold down, etc) since I do drive my SGT rather long distances across the Midwest...

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

I guess we carry a compressor as that is part of the contraption that comes with the car. An air jack is a device that folds flat, is slipped under the car and is then inflated with the car's exhaust. The advantages over a scissors jack is that it can be used anywhere, even where it is wet, slippery, sandy, etc. It lifts the car in under 30 seconds.

Jim

Ok, I read about those a long time ago. Plug into the exhaust and lift away. Are you happy with the reliability/safety? A puncture could really ruin your day. :eek5:

Runflats generally don't handle as well.

Im not advocatiing vettes here,since this is as Shelby forum, but Ive had my 07 at Road Atlanta (12 turns) several times on run flats,and did fine.I think i just might sell my tires that come with the Shelby and buy run flats--Im too old to being changing flats.

So I was drooling over the specs and photos at the 2010 Mustang site when I noticed that the GT500 apparently doesn't have a spare tire. Instead there's an inflation kit or "Tire Mobililty Kit" as they put it in the pdf. My first Shelby's on order, so this is new to me. I imagine the '07 through '09 models have the same thing. I can think of a couple of reasons for it, primarily different diameter tires and weight (?). But this brought up a couple of questions:

First, what, if anything, do they do with the space?

And since I don't intend to leave it parked in the garage all shiny and new, I was wondering what anyone's experience has been with the wonderfully named Tire Mobility Kit? I've averaged less than 7,000/year with my '06 GT and I plan on taking a few road trips so I'm a bit concerned about getting stranded in the middle of New Mexico wth a simple flat tire.

Thanks to anyone who can share their knowledge and please don't tell me you don't like the rear end. I heard all about that already.

(Under Models and Features)

http://www.fordvehicles.com/the2010mustang/

:shift:

I can not remember the forum member who was my inspiration for this real spare solution in GT500's but I thank him very much. I too was looking for a spare solution. Going so far as to ordering all the spare tire (mini spare) and jack etc from my dealer. I was not happy that the mini spare rim would not clear the front calipers. I then mined this forum for further ideas and came across using an actual GT500 tire and wheel assy and make it look some what stock. I had another set of wheels and tires for the GT500 but did not think they would fit into the spare tire well. I saw the pictures from the forum member and knew exactly what I needed to do. I can't see Ford changing the tire wheel for the 2010 so I think is is also the solution for the new GT500. It took me about 2 hours to complete the installation per the instructions from the Forum member who originally posted his solution.

Go luck

post-22753-1244848000_thumb.jpg

post-22753-1244848000_thumb.jpg

I can not remember the forum member who was my inspiration for this real spare solution in GT500's but I thank him very much. I too was looking for a spare solution. Going so far as to ordering all the spare tire (mini spare) and jack etc from my dealer. I was not happy that the mini spare rim would not clear the front calipers. I then mined this forum for further ideas and came across using an actual GT500 tire and wheel assy and make it look some what stock. I had another set of wheels and tires for the GT500 but did not think they would fit into the spare tire well. I saw the pictures from the forum member and knew exactly what I needed to do. I can't see Ford changing the tire wheel for the 2010 so I think is is also the solution for the new GT500. It took me about 2 hours to complete the installation per the instructions from the Forum member who originally posted his solution.

Go luck

Thanks, that looks great. I have a friend who works at a Discount Tire so I was going to talk to him and see what kind of cheap rim I could fit. Since there's a fifty/fifty chance the right size tire will fail, I was just planning on something basic that would get me to the closest tire shop if it ever becomes necessary.

:lurk:

Go luck

It does look great--what did you do to attach it to the hold down,and what is the hold down clamp.And thats a std GT500 wheel/tire combo??Ill search and see what i can find on the forum

Is the width of the tire the problem or the overall circumference of the wheel/tire?

If the latter, then I'd suggest buying a shorter sidewall tire for your spare rim. That would certainly be better than a donut.

If the former, then I've got nothin'. ;)

Ken

It does look great--what did you do to attach it to the hold down,and what is the hold down clamp.And thats a std GT500 wheel/tire combo??Ill search and see what i can find on the forum

Here you go. I found the link where I got my inspiration.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...29264&st=20 go to the second page.

Dragpack gets the credit. I did not make the hockey puck that Dragpak did but I used the stock tie down washer and put a layer of rubber on one side of the washer as not to scratch the rim. The tire and wheel assy are a front GT500. Be advised that the stock tie down hook is not long enough by itself. I purchased 2 hooks, cut the threaded end off the second and found a coupler at a hardware store to thread the two together to make a longer hook. The wingnut, washer, jack, jack hold down bolt were from he parts I bought from the dealer.

SVTRIDE

I previously owned a car that had a collapsible spare from Vredestein (993 Porsche - sorry guys :headscratch: ). This came with a small compressor that plugged into the cigarette lighter, and inflated the tyre to the required diameter when needed. I had to use it once....absolutely fantastic....back on the road in 5 mins. It would seem to me that this solution could be offered as an option for customers, like me, that are nervous about not having a replacement tyre or sorts. As you can see from the link below, it's commonplace on a lot of vehicles that suffer from the same type of 'large caliper/small wheel well' issue.

BTW. It was also absurdly light weight!

http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Bandtypes...p;BandtypeID=25

I wonder if any of these already existing vredestein combos would already fit the SGT?

post-25334-1244902762_thumb.jpg

I previously owned a car that had a collapsible spare from Vredestein (993 Porsche - sorry guys :headscratch: ). This came with a small compressor that plugged into the cigarette lighter, and inflated the tyre to the required diameter when needed. I had to use it once....absolutely fantastic....back on the road in 5 mins. It would seem to me that this solution could be offered as an option for customers, like me, that are nervous about not having a replacement tyre or sorts. As you can see from the link below, it's commonplace on a lot of vehicles that suffer from the same type of 'large caliper/small wheel well' issue.

BTW. It was also absurdly light weight!

http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Bandtypes...p;BandtypeID=25

I wonder if any of these already existing vredestein combos would already fit the SGT?

post-25334-1244902762_thumb.jpg

how would one go about figuring if it would work on the new GT500--it looks like a neat product.

How much room is there in the spare well, enough for a tire of some type?

Cobra09

Yes there is room for a spare. Many Mustangs came with a spare. The GT500's were the first not to get a spare. The GT's were next not to get one.

The current problem is that the regular spare tire wont clear some of the big brake cars. Search for "spare tire" and you should find a couple of threads on this.

Steve

how would one go about figuring if it would work on the new GT500--it looks like a neat product.

Ive contacted the local V**stein dealer here in Atl--hes getting the "spacemaster" in and we'll see how it fits.My Gt500 is due in this week--hopefully i dont get a blowout driving it home from Perry,ga

Another note on this subject. Don't throw the Tire inflator away if it's been used or expires. Tirerack has a refill kit that is inexpensive, and easy to replace. Here's the link.... Tirerack

Hm, the first thing it says is:

Note: This product cannot be used on vehicles equipped with direct tire pressure monitoring sensors in the wheels.

All 2010 Mustangs come with Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) standard. I don't think any previous model, including the GT500 has tire pressure monitoring. Wonder if Ford read the note above when they included TPMS in a car equipped with this product? Maybe they have a different kit this year. The sealant would clog anything I would think. :headscratch:

Archived