TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TSB email to MY dealer I purchased from.......

SVTpower

Although I have no issues, I plan to order my Spec P-Trim anyday now ( Call me Evo, Fred / or Kent or reply to my email please ) and change it out end of this year, or 1st thing next spring................I was bored and thought I'd email my dealers service managers and see what they'd say

My email:

"Good morning guys,

Wanted to know your take on this TSB. I am a Kennedy Ford customer as I purchased my 2007 GT500 at the same time a good friend of mine did too and we both took delivery in Dec 2006.

I'm an active member of several large forum sites, including SVTperformance, and TeamShelby and several hundred have had this TSB performed before the warranty expires. 3 other close friends ( in Ontario ) recently had it completed as they showed all the signs of a problem. ( they all have more kms than I do )

I'll be honest, mine so far is good but I only have 3300 kms but concerned as I have six months warranty left only and apparantly parts out of warranty approach the $6000 mark as it includes a new clutch/flywheel assembly from the late 2009/2010 model, new nickel plated input shaft, new syncro's assembly plus lube and hardware.

I have been following dozens of members on sites and this TSB for over a year now.

TSB link attached and your comments please. thanks"

Their reply :

"Sorry for the delay as I have been away and am just getting caught up on my e-mails. We have only performed one of those T.S.B. to date so we really do not have a take on it as of yet. We have had a few customers coming in wanting to get it done but we can only perform it if we can confirm the symptoms on your vehicle. The T.S.B. is designed to fix a problem and we can only perform it if your vehicle has that problem. "

Somehow I'm not surprised at their response........

I guess i am lucky i have had my car done twice, I have a good relationship with a service mang. at my local ford dealer. I just picked my car up today no hassel at all. Come to think of it they never even drove it i just called up told them it was sliping and took it in.

Although I have no issues, I plan to order my Spec P-Trim anyday now ( Call me Evo, Fred / or Kent or reply to my email please ) and change it out end of this year, or 1st thing next spring................I was bored and thought I'd email my dealers service managers and see what they'd say

My email:

"Good morning guys,

Wanted to know your take on this TSB. I am a Kennedy Ford customer as I purchased my 2007 GT500 at the same time a good friend of mine did too and we both took delivery in Dec 2006.

I'm an active member of several large forum sites, including SVTperformance, and TeamShelby and several hundred have had this TSB performed before the warranty expires. 3 other close friends ( in Ontario ) recently had it completed as they showed all the signs of a problem. ( they all have more kms than I do )

I'll be honest, mine so far is good but I only have 3300 kms but concerned as I have six months warranty left only and apparantly parts out of warranty approach the $6000 mark as it includes a new clutch/flywheel assembly from the late 2009/2010 model, new nickel plated input shaft, new syncro's assembly plus lube and hardware.

I have been following dozens of members on sites and this TSB for over a year now.

Their reply :

"Sorry for the delay as I have been away and am just getting caught up on my e-mails. We have only performed one of those T.S.B. to date so we really do not have a take on it as of yet. We have had a few customers coming in wanting to get it done but we can only perform it if we can confirm the symptoms on your vehicle. The T.S.B. is designed to fix a problem and we can only perform it if your vehicle has that problem. "

would a doctor give you a heart or a lung transplant when your not having major problems?

Just thought you should know:

The TSB does not include a "new nickel plated input shaft". The part that is nickle in the TSB is the center of the clutch. The clutch hub. That's the female side of the system that has 26 splines for the input shaft to slide into.

The new input shaft is broached smoother and the pin diameter on the splines is a fuz looser so it will release from the clutch hub better and on time.

My email:

"Good morning guys,

Their reply :

What would you expect their response to be when you told them you don't have a problem? They have to call in for authorization now before doing them; it added a couple of days to the process but my dealer repaired mine after I explained the problem and took them for a ride.

They aren't going to get paid for doing proactive work unless it is a recall; the TSB is for after failure only.

What would you expect their response to be when you told them you don't have a problem? They have to call in for authorization now before doing them; it added a couple of days to the process but my dealer repaired mine after I explained the problem and took them for a ride.

They aren't going to get paid for doing proactive work unless it is a recall; the TSB is for after failure only.

You missed the point.........IF it's going to happen eventually, I should be penalized for not being a daily driver?? I mentioned my low kms and my six months remaining on my warranty.

Like I said, don't care that much, I was curious.........putting in a real clutch anyways.

Just thought you should know:

The TSB does not include a "new nickel plated input shaft". The part that is nickle in the TSB is the center of the clutch. The clutch hub. That's the female side of the system that has 26 splines for the input shaft to slide into.

The new input shaft is broached smoother and the pin diameter on the splines is a fuz looser so it will release from the clutch hub better and on time.

I was under the understanding that the nickel plated shaft was part of the TSB as well. I guess I need to price that also?? or does it really need it?. Seems to me that if they decided to manufacture one with more clearance it was determined that the original one was not up to specs and so they should include it also.

Service manager just ordered the parts for mine yesterday.

To me its weaksauce to say Ok you do have a problem after it $**ts the bed on you in the mid of traffic or wherever it finally fails. I've worked providing warranty and repair servicing I saw alot of questionable warranty claims, but I also saw alot folks who were straight up and honest to a fault who didn't try and take advantage of situation where they could have lets say fibbed. Ford knows the problem exists they spent alot of time developing a solution they need to be there for us the people who support them.

My car has issues getting into 2nd gear and reverse sometime but if I go into a dealer and it doesn't do it for them its like I'm lying or making it up. Till it freaking dies on me its like they have never ever heard of this issue weak very weak. I own 3 mustangs a sporttrac and a 08 taurus. My other family members own Ford products. I've always had a Ford for the most part I've never had any big issues to speak of with anything I've ever had.

I'm not looking for something free I'm looking for what I paid for. If it dies because I'm abusing it thats one thing but its to common to have everybody doing something wrong.

just my .02 cent

kb67

I was under the understanding that the nickel plated shaft was part of the TSB as well. I guess I need to price that also?? or does it really need it?. Seems to me that if they decided to manufacture one with more clearance it was determined that the original one was not up to specs and so they should include it also.

Service manager just ordered the parts for mine yesterday.

There is no nickle plated input shaft even if you wanted to buy one.

The revised input shaft comes with the TSB.

To me its weaksauce to say Ok you do have a problem after it $**ts the bed on you in the mid of traffic or wherever it finally fails. I've worked providing warranty and repair servicing I saw alot of questionable warranty claims, but I also saw alot folks who were straight up and honest to a fault who didn't try and take advantage of situation where they could have lets say fibbed. Ford knows the problem exists they spent alot of time developing a solution they need to be there for us the people who support them.

My car has issues getting into 2nd gear and reverse sometime but if I go into a dealer and it doesn't do it for them its like I'm lying or making it up. Till it freaking dies on me its like they have never ever heard of this issue weak very weak. I own 3 mustangs a sporttrac and a 08 taurus. My other family members own Ford products. I've always had a Ford for the most part I've never had any big issues to speak of with anything I've ever had.

I'm not looking for something free I'm looking for what I paid for. If it dies because I'm abusing it thats one thing but its to common to have everybody doing something wrong.

just my .02 cent

kb67

This is very well put man... I totally agree.

I went to my local Ford place and asked to have the TSB done and he asked me if I had any issues and I told him I didn't. I gave him all the literature that I found on here about the problem and the re-design but at the end of the day they won't do it unless it dies on me.

Not that I think it would help, but maybe we should circulate a petition to Ford requesting that they either extend the TSB or put out a recall. If enough people sign it, maybe it will at least open their eyes! Especially considering that most or us only put very little mileage on the car. It would be really nice if Mr. Shelby was the first signer considering his name is on the car. Just a thought.

Not that I think it would help, but maybe we should circulate a petition to Ford requesting that they either extend the TSB or put out a recall. If enough people sign it, maybe it will at least open their eyes! Especially considering that most or us only put very little mileage on the car. It would be really nice if Mr. Shelby was the first signer considering his name is on the car. Just a thought.

I think that's a great idea :)

I'll sign!

I just purchased my 2007 vert brand new from my dealer and after reading up on the TSB issue, decided to pay my service manager a courtesy call to understand his take on this and what to expect when if and when my car starts showing symptoms.

He seemed to be very aware of the TSB and told me that he had his dedicated GT500 technician perform a couple to date. Some of the items he mentioned as part of the TSB were the new flywheel, pressure-plate, clutch, syncros, input-shaft and clutch-hub.

When I voiced my concern at the cost of the repair should my car only start showing symptoms after the warranty expired, he reassured me that they would fix the problem gratis. He also told me to "enjoy" my current clutch and come in for the TSB only closer to the expiration of the warranty. I asked him what if my car did not show any symptoms relating to the TSB and he replied that I only need to "articulate on paper" what my "problem" was and they would work their end to obtain an approval from FORD. He reassured me many times that they would fix the TSB before my warranty expires.

So it does seem, at least from my encounter, that the TSB issue is handled very differently between dealers. One of the reasons could be that my dealer sells a very large number of trucks and the much more expensive truck TSBs he fixes, makes our $6K job look small in comparison. He told me that FORD only requests for details and pictures on truck TSBs which typically start at $14K for an engine job. As far as GT500s are concerned, he told me that FORD only requests for mods done to the vehicle and he only lists the FRPP parts.... :victory:

He is a decent guy and we reciprocate by swinging business his way; like buying a new SUV from his dealership every other year.

Just my .02cents - BORG

I just purchased my 2007 vert brand new from my dealer and after reading up on the TSB issue, decided to pay my service manager a courtesy call to understand his take on this and what to expect when if and when my car starts showing symptoms.

He seemed to be very aware of the TSB and told me that he had his dedicated GT500 technician perform a couple to date. Some of the items he mentioned as part of the TSB were the new flywheel, pressure-plate, clutch, syncros, input-shaft and clutch-hub.

When I voiced my concern at the cost of the repair should my car only start showing symptoms after the warranty expired, he reassured me that they would fix the problem gratis. He also told me to "enjoy" my current clutch and come in for the TSB only closer to the expiration of the warranty. I asked him what if my car did not show any symptoms relating to the TSB and he replied that I only need to "articulate on paper" what my "problem" was and they would work their end to obtain an approval from FORD. He reassured me many times that they would fix the TSB before my warranty expires.

So it does seem, at least from my encounter, that the TSB issue is handled very differently between dealers. One of the reasons could be that my dealer sells a very large number of trucks and the much more expensive truck TSBs he fixes, makes our $6K job look small in comparison. He told me that FORD only requests for details and pictures on truck TSBs which typically start at $14K for an engine job. As far as GT500s are concerned, he told me that FORD only requests for mods done to the vehicle and he only lists the FRPP parts.... :victory:

He is a decent guy and we reciprocate by swinging business his way; like buying a new SUV from his dealership every other year.

Just my .02cents - BORG

That's awesome man... be glad you have such a stand-up dealer that you can work with.

If I had one I would certainly throw them MUCH more business.

to be honest and frank i think at the end of the day its all about the relationship you have with your service manager! most of them are car guys too and most of them bleed ford too soooo they have feelings when it comes to this. if you going in there withe the "demand" attitude, or pissed off or whining and etc, i think most of them will just go by the book and the book is that its not a recall, just a tsb.

i've own older mustangs (65-66) in the past but never a brand new one. porsche service and ford service are different but i had to adjust. i am not saying i had the charm my way to get my tsb but i was polite and never demanded or show upset, just talking to my service as a car guy not as a business transaction. i know this is not a daily driver for me and for sure by the time them symptoms showed up, warranty is long gone so i had to go down there and "talk" to the service manager.

i have never know him before and at 1800 miles with no symptoms, i got full tsb done and plus he gave me back all the old parts. he told me ford never request them or charge for core either. till this day i still have all those "old" parts in my house and probably gonna make art out of it :-)

i consider myself lucky and hope ford will step up and make it a recall to ease many owners. these are executive decisions and although the dealership can do anything they want, some follow them to the t. btw no regional or field agent ever came down to inspect my car.

good luck everyone, this just my story.

i have to agree ford should make this a recall. these cars cost from 44k-50k, we are the big supporters of ford and this is fords top pf the line car. it should be damn near perfect. it seems like the vett guys have it better. GM would fix anything those guys had a problem with.

I took mine in last Friday and had their Master Mechanic go for a ride with me. It still shifts good and only shudders when its hot. He said to listen for the Hissing noise especially thats because that is what is the best indicator of the clutch disengaging problem occuring. I only have 1900 miles on it and so far I am happy. I just get the feeling that this is a ticking time bomb. Some of the cars are ticking real slow like mine but eventually KaBleweeeeee!!!!!!!

just my .02 cent

kb67

Very well said. It would be different it Ford knew nothing of the problem. They are VERY aware. The TSB wouldn't exist if they didn't. If they want to keep people loyal to their products they need to take care of problems, big or small.

Archived