TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Peeling side airscoop.

MarkGT08

My car is only a few months old (but obviously sitting on the dealers lot for quite awhile). I had noticed a separation of the vinyl, like bubbles, near the bottom of the sidescoop on the passenger side. And these "bubbles" would move around some and even change size based on the outside air temperature. Today, I looked at the underside of the side scoop on the passenger side and I saw that the vinyl covering is peeling off now.

I think the covering (vinyl?) finally cracked from all the flexing and the wind got under the material and started stripping it off.

I am going to have to get this into the shop for repair. But in the meantime, has anyone else had a similar problem? And do you have any suggestions on limiting further damage while I wait on a replacement? I imagine that the wind is going to keep peeling this away.

post-24803-1244735450_thumb.jpg

post-24803-1244735461_thumb.jpg

A special paint process is uses on the plastic and soft body parts, which may give if the vinyl appearance

A special paint process is uses on the plastic and soft body parts, which may give if the vinyl appearance

Yes, the peeling color is very thin and feels like a plastic sheet. I just went out and took a look again. It is peeling off in a perfect thin layer and just looks like plastic. I have had bodyshop experience before and have done some painting myself. It looks like what happens to paint when it is painted over a contaminated surface, such as a thin oil film or something similar. There was probably something on the scoop that prevented the paint from adhering to the plastic.

In other words, "oh, crap" :(

Archived