TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Letter

Shelby101

Well it came in the mail today stating I need to keep an eye :cry::cry: on my tire pressure and if it starts to drop I should inspect my valve stem.

No recall for a high speed tire, simply keep checking it.

Would be rather poor if it failed at high speed. Think they might have expressed more concern on a car they sold to do over 150 miles per hour :headscratch::headscratch:

this must be the new Ford

Well it came in the mail today stating I need to keep an eye :cry::cry: on my tire pressure and if it starts to drop I should inspect my valve stem.

No recall for a high speed tire, simply keep checking it.

Would be rather poor if it failed at high speed. Think they might have expressed more concern on a car they sold to do over 150 miles per hour :headscratch::headscratch:

this must be the new Ford

Ford wasn't the only car company to receive these defective Chinese made valve stems but some of the other car companies are actually recalling their cars.

I have a feeling that this will turn into a Ford recall. I don't see why it isn't already as Ford could just sue the Chinese manufacturer for the recall costs. Unless you can't sue the Chinese for whatever reason.

Steve

According to our news here all 07's and a lot of 08 had them.

Was brought to light by a lady here whose husband died in a car crash due to the tire blowing on the freeway

Makes you wonder how many other components are made in foreign countries. A death over a 40 cent item should remind the engineers the cost for cheap parts.

Still waiting for my letter.

From the Ford TSB:

OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE

It is anticipated that customer notification will begin in June 2009, when required name and address

information has been obtained. If an owner requests the valve stems on their vehicle be inspected,

dealers should check OASIS to determine if the vehicle is affected. If the vehicle is affected,

demonstrate and perform the one time valve stem inspection whether or not the customer has received a letter.

Makes you wonder how many other components are made in foreign countries. A death over a 40 cent item should remind the engineers the cost for cheap parts.

The space shuttle blew up over a $.50 rubber o-ring.

I am not sure I understand how a leaking valve stem can cause a blow-out on a car with TPMS. If your tire is low you get a warning. Only if you failed to act and continued to drive at highway speeds would this be an issue and then it would be the drivers fault, not Ford's. Am I missing something?

BTW - sgt4578, just because you have different tires does not mean that they changed your valve stems (unless you know that they did). Some places will not replace them unless you ask and/or pay for it.

From the Ford TSB:

OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE

It is anticipated that customer notification will begin in June 2009, when required name and address

information has been obtained. If an owner requests the valve stems on their vehicle be inspected,

dealers should check OASIS to determine if the vehicle is affected. If the vehicle is affected,

demonstrate and perform the one time valve stem inspection whether or not the customer has received a letter.

WTH.......by the time they check OASIS, they could have checked the Valve Stems................. And they will only do it ONCE? WTH! What ever happened to Customer Courtesy............. I remember when I worked at a local Gas Station that, when a Car came in and if all they wanted was the Air in the Tires Checked........We did it with a smile.

I had this very issue on my boat trailer about a year and half ago. I was headed back from the beach after a fishing trip and lost a stem. Could not have happened in a worst spot on the road. No place to pull over. Ruined the tire and wheel. When I talked to the local tire shop about a new wheel and tire and he saw the cracked stem, he said to bring the trailer in immediately go no where else. They replaced them with steel stems.

This should be a big saftey concern if our cars are affected.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the letter in the mail a couple days ago. I had looked at the stems before that and they appeared to be ok. After I got the letter I checked them again per the instructions. Still looked ok but I went and got a flashlight to get more light on the stem. Sure enough I've got the start of cracks on 3 of the 4 stems.

Ford wasn't the only car company to receive these defective Chinese made valve stems but some of the other car companies are actually recalling their cars.

I have a feeling that this will turn into a Ford recall. I don't see why it isn't already as Ford could just sue the Chinese manufacturer for the recall costs. Unless you can't sue the Chinese for whatever reason.

Steve

Egads!!!!!! Don't sue the Chinese, they may not lend us any more money. Then we wouldn't be able to buy any of those great "made in China" products. You know, like the dog food that kills your dogs, the toothpaste that kills your kids, the bogus cancer drugs that kills you, and how can I leave out all of those wonderful flea market trinkets. And besides, valve stems are such a complex item, that I know it couldn't be made in the U.S. without some sort of government oversight. Just kidding, I love "made in China" NOT :confused:

It's the Accountants & Management that make those decisions for cost savings ideas, NOT the Engineers!

Engineers want the best money can buy & the Accountants say no way, make it cheaper & more profitable!

Friggin Bean counters don't know how to build or make cars!

my tire pressure sensor was going off so much, i'd check the tires and all was well that i just started ignoring it. ignored it for two weeks (technically only two or three drives). then one day the husband asked me why i let the tire get so low. i believe it was around 5 or 10 psi at that point. heh. i don't ignore it anymore. glad to know where the problem "stemmed" from.

Egads!!!!!! Don't sue the Chinese, they may not lend us any more money. Then we wouldn't be able to buy any of those great "made in China" products. You know, like the dog food that kills your dogs, the toothpaste that kills your kids, the bogus cancer drugs that kills you, and how can I leave out all of those wonderful flea market trinkets. And besides, valve stems are such a complex item, that I know it couldn't be made in the U.S. without some sort of government oversight. Just kidding, I love "made in China" NOT :confused:

Just wait until you see these big birds start falling out of the sky. As more and more aircraft parts are being outsourced to mexico, china, and malaysia, I've decided to fly less, and drive more.

Just look at the outsourcing woes plaguing the Boeing Dreamliner. Two-plus years behind schedule, and not enough quality parts to build one airplane.

When things go bad on an airplane, it's much harder to pull over.

The local dealership replaced all four stems and rebalanced the tires yesterday. No questions or hassle. We're good to go. Beautiful day here today, sunny and 80. Wife and I are going to go for a drive today me thinks. :D

Archived