TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Paxton Novi help

After shopping around a bit, I've noticed 2 different 'kits' available for the Novi.

One kit is the 'system' package, which includes the supercharger, fuel pump, injectors, MAF housing, DiabloSport MAF.ia, and DiabloSport Predator.

The other kit is the 'tuner' package, which only includes the supercharger itself and the necessary hardware (brackets, ducts, etc).

The H.O. upgrade is also available, which adds an air/air intercooler.

1) Is my understanding of the different variations of Paxton s/c's correct and complete?

2) Do I need to buy the Diablo tuner for this install or will my SCT work fine?

3) Is it possible to add the intercooler to the 1200 kit at any point, without intense modification?

If I can make the kind of power that I want with the non-intercooled 1200 (8-9 lbs boost), then the tuner kit may be in my near future, considering the relatively attractive pricing. With the tuner kit, I could customize the pump and injectors that I'd like to go with, instead of having to use theirs, and effectively 'piece' the blower kit together over a couple of months, instead of having to pay all at once. Am I missing anything else of importance? Thanks for any input.

Ken

Just some random thoughts here Ken...

I don't think it's going to matter with your setup whether you get one tune or the other, likely you'll need a custom tune anyway due to your BBK TB and Cams and you can use your existing handheld to do it. The shop that writes your tune will have to be able to write for your Predator. You might see if Paxton would be willing to send your their base tune file or see if they have one already considering your current setup.

Just some random thoughts here Ken...

I don't think it's going to matter with your setup whether you get one tune or the other, likely you'll need a custom tune anyway due to your BBK TB and Cams and you can use your existing handheld to do it. The shop that writes your tune will have to be able to write for your Predator. You might see if Paxton would be willing to send your their base tune file or see if they have one already considering your current setup.

You're definitely right, I'd need a custom tune for sure. I guess I just wasn't sure if the Diablo was part of the system kit for any other reason than Paxton has a deal with Diablo. Nevermind, you're right, a tuner is a tuner! ;)

Ken

Don't forget the cost per hour to tune.... That's why I said, you should call Paxton and see if they'd be willing to jsut give you the tune sans the tuner since you already have it...

+1

I checked with a local tuner about installing cams and he said get the free tune from Brenspeed (where I would buy the cams from) and he will start with that and tweak it if needed.

After shopping around a bit, I've noticed 2 different 'kits' available for the Novi.

One kit is the 'system' package, which includes the supercharger, fuel pump, injectors, MAF housing, DiabloSport MAF.ia, and DiabloSport Predator.

The other kit is the 'tuner' package, which only includes the supercharger itself and the necessary hardware (brackets, ducts, etc).

The H.O. upgrade is also available, which adds an air/air intercooler.

1) Is my understanding of the different variations of Paxton s/c's correct and complete?

2) Do I need to buy the Diablo tuner for this install or will my SCT work fine?

3) Is it possible to add the intercooler to the 1200 kit at any point, without intense modification?

If I can make the kind of power that I want with the non-intercooled 1200 (8-9 lbs boost), then the tuner kit may be in my near future, considering the relatively attractive pricing. With the tuner kit, I could customize the pump and injectors that I'd like to go with, instead of having to use theirs, and effectively 'piece' the blower kit together over a couple of months, instead of having to pay all at once. Am I missing anything else of importance? Thanks for any input.

Ken

1) your understanding is correct

2) the diablo tuner comes with the kits, but 3 out of 4 shops and dynotuners i have spoken to said, to buy an SCT and use that instead. And some shops have told me that they can delete the tuner from the kit and it will cost 200 dollars less.

3) 2 out of 4 shops in our area have highly suggested the intercooler for a few reasons, it may or may not be needed, but neither are seatbelts for the same reason. The intercooler is kind of a safety net, it helps, but its not completely necessary. If you want to run 8-9psi boost on the 1200 i think the intercooler is necessary.

On a dead bones stock Mustang GT, i believe the 1200 kit can safely and 50 state legally run 5-7psi and put out around 420-440hp without risking a rod being thrown. Your motor, it built a quite a bit more...it should be putting out alot higher than that even with the 1200.

For me, since my 2200 was wrecked in the car accident, i am personally going to get the intercooled Novi 1200 this time, its affordable, safe, pumps plenty of power for my use and i think ill just have the diablo tuner used. I don't have any mods that should adversely affect the diablo tune that comes with the kit so i figure why shouldn't i use it. The kit comes with almost everything needed, with the exception of some colder spark plugs. And Keith includes the dynotune in the install so i might be running his way. We'll see if his tuning is decent, but like i said, my car doesnt have anything crazy done to it. Jason will install cheaper...but then i have to get it towed somewhere to tune. And pay a boatload of money for the tuning itself.

but to answer your question, especially reading about the way you want to modify everything piece by piece, stick with the SCT and order the kit without the diablo, it will be even cheaper.

as for a Carbon Fiber Intake tube...i've never seen one. My interest would depend solely on the price.

1) your understanding is correct

2) the diablo tuner comes with the kits, but 3 out of 4 shops and dynotuners i have spoken to said, to buy an SCT and use that instead. And some shops have told me that they can delete the tuner from the kit and it will cost 200 dollars less.

3) 2 out of 4 shops in our area have highly suggested the intercooler for a few reasons, it may or may not be needed, but neither are seatbelts for the same reason. The intercooler is kind of a safety net, it helps, but its not completely necessary. If you want to run 8-9psi boost on the 1200 i think the intercooler is necessary.

On a dead bones stock Mustang GT, i believe the 1200 kit can safely and 50 state legally run 5-7psi and put out around 420-440hp without risking a rod being thrown. Your motor, it built a quite a bit more...it should be putting out alot higher than that even with the 1200.

For me, since my 2200 was wrecked in the car accident, i am personally going to get the intercooled Novi 1200 this time, its affordable, safe, pumps plenty of power for my use and i think ill just have the diablo tuner used. I don't have any mods that should adversely affect the diablo tune that comes with the kit so i figure why shouldn't i use it. The kit comes with almost everything needed, with the exception of some colder spark plugs. And Keith includes the dynotune in the install so i might be running his way. We'll see if his tuning is decent, but like i said, my car doesnt have anything crazy done to it. Jason will install cheaper...but then i have to get it towed somewhere to tune. And pay a boatload of money for the tuning itself.

but to answer your question, especially reading about the way you want to modify everything piece by piece, stick with the SCT and order the kit without the diablo, it will be even cheaper.

as for a Carbon Fiber Intake tube...i've never seen one. My interest would depend solely on the price.

So adding the intercooler to the 1200 isn't much worse of a job later down the road than it is at the time of the initial SC install?

That's what I'm most curious about at this point. If I'd have to completely un-install the blower just to get the IC installed later, I may consider the IC now.

Anyway, Jegs has a smokin deal on the full 1200 kit. It's on sale for $3100, which is only $300 more than the cheapest bare bones 'tuner kit' I could find (which was at Summit). This would leave me with injectors and a Diablo that I could sell, since I'm going with different injectors and already have an SCT Livewire.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on this kit, but I wanted to iron out the last few details before I put my $ down. As for the install, I plan on doing it myself, then towing it out to AED for the tune. My only advice to you on FFP again is that Keith's tunes are extremely conservative (they suck). So much so that I couldn't stand to drive my car after he tuned it. I bought a new tune 12 hours after he loaded his.

If you end up in the same boat I was in, you'll end up at AED anyway and paying for 2 tunes, plus the additional labor cost to FFP. Just something to think about. Jason at Nor-Cal is definitely #1 on my list for local shops. Good luck with either direction you choose man.

Ken

So adding the intercooler to the 1200 isn't much worse of a job later down the road than it is at the time of the initial SC install?

That's what I'm most curious about at this point. If I'd have to completely un-install the blower just to get the IC installed later, I may consider the IC now.

Anyway, Jegs has a smokin deal on the full 1200 kit. It's on sale for $3100, which is only $300 more than the cheapest bare bones 'tuner kit' I could find (which was at Summit). This would leave me with injectors and a Diablo that I could sell, since I'm going with different injectors and already have an SCT Livewire.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on this kit, but I wanted to iron out the last few details before I put my $ down. As for the install, I plan on doing it myself, then towing it out to AED for the tune. My only advice to you on FFP again is that Keith's tunes are extremely conservative (they suck). So much so that I couldn't stand to drive my car after he tuned it. I bought a new tune 12 hours after he loaded his.

If you end up in the same boat I was in, you'll end up at AED anyway and paying for 2 tunes, plus the additional labor cost to FFP. Just something to think about. Jason at Nor-Cal is definitely #1 on my list for local shops. Good luck with either direction you choose man.

Ken

Ken I know you like to track your Shelby. I think you should buy the inter cooler because at the track at high rpm you build up heat in the heads. When I go to the track I fill up with 100. to help cool the heads.

Ken I know you like to track your Shelby. I think you should buy the inter cooler because at the track at high rpm you build up heat in the heads. When I go to the track I fill up with 100. to help cool the heads.

Yeah you're right, Carl. That's probably not a good place to try to save some coin huh?

Thanks for chiming in man. I haven't seen you around for awhile! Are you going to be at the mini-nationals over the 4th?

Ken

Yeah you're right, Carl. That's probably not a good place to try to save some coin huh?

Thanks for chiming in man. I haven't seen you around for awhile! Are you going to be at the mini-nationals over the 4th?

Ken

Hey Ken,

If you really want to run cool at the track try this... One of the best mods I've done.

Install01.jpg

Hey Ken,

If you really want to run cool at the track try this... One of the best mods I've done.

Install01.jpg

That looks awesome! I've heard rumors of a Shelby cooling kit (radiator, heat ex, etc) coming up for the 3V also that might be worth investing in...

Ken

After looking at a few pics online of some Paxton's installed, I'm not sure what happens to the OEM reservoirs. It looks a lot tighter with the intercooled setup also.

Does the 1200 kit include a new coolant and PS reservoir? If so, do you have to use theirs or would it be possible to re-locate the Moroso tanks I have? What about without an intercooler? Does that make a difference as to which tanks you can use and whether you have to move them? Thanks for any insight.

Ken

dba3_1.JPG

769-1001850SLP.jpg

Archived