TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Jump starting a 6v battery

dcdoug

I understand that you can use a regular 12v battery to jump start these cars, even though they have 2x 6v batteries that are bridged together. But isn't that still just 6v? Why doesn't jumping from a 12v battery fry them?

I understand that you can use a regular 12v battery to jump start these cars, even though they have 2x 6v batteries that are bridged together. But isn't that still just 6v? Why doesn't jumping from a 12v battery fry them?

If you link positive to positive on the two 6 volts you have a 6 volt. If you link positive to negative on the two 6 volts you have a 12v. Diesels that run on 24v starting systems will have two 12v wired + to - to make 24 volts.

36 volt golf carts use 6 very large 6v batteries all wired + to - to make 36 volts. They have a larger storage capacity using the 6v batteries.

All you're doing is adding cells externally which increases the voltage.

wiring1.gif

2x6V in series. Connect Red to the red of the primary battery (where the engine red is connected) and Black to the Black of the second battery - that is the chassis ground (or a chassis ground if you can find one - I can't)

Archived