TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood pin cables...

Hi guys., so my hood pin cables look a little discolored so I bought the hood pin kit... I will replace the whole set up.. ie. pins, rings, screws etc... but I dont know how to remove the cables from the frame of the car (under the hood) looks like they are rivet attached? How do I get them off and then the new ones on? Has anyone done this yet.. Some help / instructions would be great - its got me stuck, and u could say im not exactly a skilled mechanic, just an appreciative GT-H driver... Thanks as always :)

Hi guys., so my hood pin cables look a little discolored so I bought the hood pin kit... I will replace the whole set up.. ie. pins, rings, screws etc... but I dont know how to remove the cables from the frame of the car (under the hood) looks like they are rivet attached? How do I get them off and then the new ones on? Has anyone done this yet.. Some help / instructions would be great - its got me stuck, and u could say im not exactly a skilled mechanic, just an appreciative GT-H driver... Thanks as always :)

You will need to drill the center out of the original rivet, then use new rivets and a rivet gun to install the new cables. I've done it a couple of times now and it's no big deal...just try not to make the rivet hole any larger, so use a drill bit that will not quite fit the inside of the rivet and it will drill out the rivet...Rivet guns are cheap and work with a little effort to secure the new cables...don't forget to route the cables toward the inside then back under the pin support and have them come out at the upper portion of the grille where the headlight bar meets the top...that'll keep them from flapping in the wind at about the right length...Should take you all of about 10 minutes to replace the cables...not a big deal

You will need to drill the center out of the original rivet, then use new rivets and a rivet gun to install the new cables. I've done it a couple of times now and it's no big deal...just try not to make the rivet hole any larger, so use a drill bit that will not quite fit the inside of the rivet and it will drill out the rivet...Rivet guns are cheap and work with a little effort to secure the new cables...don't forget to route the cables toward the inside then back under the pin support and have them come out at the upper portion of the grille where the headlight bar meets the top...that'll keep them from flapping in the wind at about the right length...Should take you all of about 10 minutes to replace the cables...not a big deal

+1

I noticed that one of my cables was shorter than the other and was a little too tight. I was worried that it might wear the paint so I undid the routing of the cables and measured their lengths. There were the same length. The problem was the rivet location on one side was not symmetrical with the other. So I drilled out the rivet, drilled a new hole to allow for more slack and redid the rivet. Took only a few minutes.

You know, I have had the '07 pin set for two years and the cables never rusted, I just put the new billet set on about 2 months ago, and the cables are already rusted. Can't be spending $100 every two months for new cables.

You know, I have had the '07 pin set for two years and the cables never rusted, I just put the new billet set on about 2 months ago, and the cables are already rusted. Can't be spending $100 every two months for new cables.

Contact SPP for a replacement.

+1

Just called them and they are sending out another pins/cable set.

They said the cables aren't rusting! The plastic jacket is discoloring from exposure to sunlight and heat.

That is what I noticed on my last set...the outter covering was turning rusty looking, but under the hood, they still looked fine...Considering painting them silver or black just to see if it will stop the problem...

That is what I noticed on my last set...the outter covering was turning rusty looking, but under the hood, they still looked fine...Considering painting them silver or black just to see if it will stop the problem...

I just re-painted mine last week for the same "issues"... Had my Dad lightly bead blast them to remove all the old (and scratched) paint... Used a semi-flat black enamel, sprayed on 2x light coats (alternating directions)... And didn't worry about the silver "SHELBY" on the plates...

post-8727-1244508704_thumb.jpg

post-8727-1244508739_thumb.jpg

While they were off the hood, I replaced all the screws with new stainless steel ones (no I don't have a corrosion problem)... And replaced the discolored plastic coating over the swivel at the top of the lanyard with new shrink tubing from NAPA... And I also took the time to "tweak" the round clips so that they actually "clipped" in place... Used an adjustable set of pliers (not Vice-Grips) to square off the ends that slide into the pin itself...

Should be good for another year or two...

Gregg

07SGT0547

I just re-painted mine last week for the same "issues"... Had my Dad lightly bead blast them to remove all the old (and scratched) paint... Used a semi-flat black enamel, sprayed on 2x light coats (alternating directions)... And didn't worry about the silver "SHELBY" on the plates...

While they were off the hood, I replaced all the screws with new stainless steel ones (no I don't have a corrosion problem)... And replaced the discolored plastic coating over the swivel at the top of the lanyard with new shrink tubing from NAPA... And I also took the time to "tweak" the round clips so that they actually "clipped" in place... Used an adjustable set of pliers (not Vice-Grips) to square off the ends that slide into the pin itself...

Gregg

07SGT0547

I saw in a magazine advertisement that Shelby parts sells the Hood pins in Black also.

Gregg

07SGT0547

I was actually talking about painting the cable covers...that seems to be what is turning "rusty" colored when exposed to the weather and/or heat...I like the billet on my Vista Blue hood, but they could stand to be replaced however since someone released the hood without removing the pins several times before I bought the car...the SPP replacements only say SHELBY on them and mine say SHELBY GT...wonder if SAI has any more replacements for them...

I was actually talking about painting the cable covers...that seems to be what is turning "rusty" colored when exposed to the weather and/or heat...I like the billet on my Vista Blue hood, but they could stand to be replaced however since someone released the hood without removing the pins several times before I bought the car...the SPP replacements only say SHELBY on them and mine say SHELBY GT...wonder if SAI has any more replacements for them...

Got it... I mis-read what you were saying... But I'm sure SAI/Ford/Bud would be able to replace your original set if you ask the right person???

Got it... I mis-read what you were saying... But I'm sure SAI/Ford/Bud would be able to replace your original set if you ask the right person???

On my 3rd replacement set now...just don't like how the cable covers turn "rusty" looking...

On my 3rd replacement set now...just don't like how the cable covers turn "rusty" looking...

3 sets ~ Well I guess that covers Ford, SAI & Bud :hysterical:

I've seen a very "rough" set of cables on other 2008 SGTs, but my SPP "aftermarket" set are doing fine on my 2007...

Guess it comes from sitting outside in the sun & elements??? Mine stays inside the garage, most of the time :shift:

Wish I had a good answer, but I don't know of anything that would prevent the discoloration while staying flexible enough not to crack...

Hmmmmmmmm

3 sets ~ Well I guess that covers Ford, SAI & Bud :hysterical:

I've seen a very "rough" set of cables on other 2008 SGTs, but my SPP "aftermarket" set are doing fine on my 2007...

Guess it comes from sitting outside in the sun & elements??? Mine stays inside the garage, most of the time :shift:

Wish I had a good answer, but I don't know of anything that would prevent the discoloration while staying flexible enough not to crack...

Hmmmmmmmm

Two sets sent to me from SAI now...mine sits in the garage all the time unless I'm out on the road driving it...it doesn't seem to take much to make the covers discolor...don't know why or how, but I sure wish there was a way to fix it so it wouldn't keep happening...

My cable covers are discolored too. Good idea to paint them. I think I'll remove and paint them silver to match the strips. Maybe a few coats of clear to seal the paint. Thanks Motorjock...

Archived