TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Update from Chicago Show 2/10/06

VNMOUS1

I have them in my 97.

They look nice. Do you like them???

I notice that you have an American speedo. Why woudn't you buy your cars from Canada, and have your speedo in KPH instead of MPH??? Just curious.

KingCobra.

They look nice. Do you like them???

I notice that you have an American speedo. Why woudn't you buy your cars from Canada, and have your speedo in KPH instead of MPH??? Just curious.

KingCobra.

I think they are very nice. Lots of grip and even better on the track with the Simpson shoes.

I can't choose easily in wanting a car with an American or Canadian speedo. I bought both 69 and 97 used. The 69 Mach 1 I stumpled upon on my search in SC back in 95. These cars were wayyyyyyyy cheaper back then. The 97 Cobra I stumpled upon in my own home town. It had Texas plates on. It was from a Dutch guy who worked in Houston for three years and he took the car with him to The Netherlands. Taking it home with his household would provide him tax free import. It was two years old when I saw it with 18K miles. He had to keep it a year over here for selling it tax free to me. It was pure coincedence and that in my own home town.

I have the only 97 Cobra over here and the only 69 Mach 1 with a 428 CJ-R. There are a few Q codes 428 CJ.

SVT has updated the GT500 site and as of late yesterday there is a revised black/red interior shot as well as verbage about the interior upgrade that actually calls them "covers" in regard to the pedals.

Just got back from a day at the Chicago Auto Show. A guy named "Tom" was on the platform with the new GT500 and seemed to know all the specs about the car - backwards and forwards. I had a chance to talk to him and got some info I thought I would pass along. Most of it you all probably know anyway and, of course, who knows what is really true and what is show hype.

1. Car is capable of 650 hp with "just a few bolt-ons".

2. Latest rumor is that only SVT dealers are going to get it. Seems like the SVT dealers were pretty upset with it going to the whole lot and have been lobbying hard to have it all to themselves. Can't say as I blame them. They keep going back and forth on this but, hey folks, we're getting down to the wire!

3. Production is estimated at between 8-10k for two years only.

4. They have plans to roll out the Boss, Mach 1, Super Snake and more down the road.

5. Doesn't sound like you're going to get any new interior colors for 2007. They're talking about a white, tan and some others for 2008 but black and red/black is all for this year. I guess they have an emphasis on starting everything out close to the way the originals were - so if the 1965 Shelby GT350 was white with blue stripes and all black interior then that's the way this one is going to be. My opinion is the red/black has it all over the plain black interior so if you like some excitement, then that may limit your exterior color choice. The red/black has the red inserts in the seats, red/black door panels and red stitching highlights in the seats, steering wheel etc. Black has black this and black that.

Saw the Camaro and Challenger. The Camaro was a disappointment as I expected more from the pictures I'd seen. Looked like the designers weren't sure what they wanted or maybe they did and I just didn't like it. I think the Camaro is a good idea but this one is a mistake. The Challenger was better but I have to tell you, those 20-22 inch wheels make it look a little like a cartoon. The Shelby was by far the class act of the show.

So, does any of this square with what you all are hearing?

2. Latest rumor is that only SVT dealers are going to get it. Seems like the SVT dealers were pretty upset with it going to the whole lot and have been lobbying hard to have it all to themselves. Can't say as I blame them. They keep going back and forth on this but, hey folks, we're getting down to the wire!

3. Production is estimated at between 8-10k for two years only.

Production #'s seem to jive, but "SVT only" is a new one. I can see the SVT dealers wanting it all to themselves (if they pay the extra to be SVT, why wouldn't they?? :shrug: ), but that would sure piss off a bunch of big non-SVT dealers! I'd be surprised if that ever happens.

Went to the show today, the wife loves the white with blue. We have been fighting over this car since I signed up for one early last year. But after seeing it today, she is really excited to get it. I hope that this is the stance that we get. It looks good sitting tight to the tires, not sitting up like a 4x4. I am OK with the new hood, not as bad as the pics make it look. I wish they could have kept the concept hood but the the car is beefy and mean looking even in white with blue stripes. Black will be killer.........Steve

Haven't seen you before, so welcome Steve.

Good to hear that you liked the car in person.

Any pics???

What were your impressions about specifics???

What did you hear??? Did you talk to anyone about the details???

KingCobra.

Haven't seen you before, so welcome Steve.

Good to hear that you liked the car in person.

Any pics???

What were your impressions about specifics???

What did you hear??? Did you talk to anyone about the details???

KingCobra.

I have been a member of BON since 99 member 300 something, but I have not made much time to post here, just lurking. My wife who always carries our camera forgot the dang thing so no picks. All I can say is the car looks great to me in person. The front end is really beefy with a strong hood, big openings in front and the airspliter down below. The black accents used all around the bottom of the car really set off the white with blue stripes. I am OK with the hood, it is not as cool as the show car but is not the mess that many folks are making it out to be. The car looks well balanced and looks really good down low on the tires so I hope we don't end up with a 4X4. The rear end is OK though the concept was a little more special. All I know is I would not want to be looking at the front end in my rear view. Its gonna scare people when you rev it up. That of course is my opinion. As for new info I got there as they just opened, so I got a great view of the car but there was no one there to talk to so no new info.

Bottom line is that after seeing it in person, I want it as bad or worse than any other Cobra I have owned. And I was dying to get my Terminator when they came out in 03. This car though heavy, should be so much better due to the new platform. The old chassis was a mess even with the IRS. When I traded for the SVTF I could not believe the difference in handling and stiffness. With the power that this thing will put out it should be a great all around drive. Just gonna wait it out and hope the dream comes true.....Steve

On the stripe thread... If my memory serves me (and it doesn't always!) weren't the stripes on the original 65-70 Shelbys not really "straight" lines? From people that made clones and did them right, they were very concerned about "a greater width here, and a slimmer width there". What do you all remember, and does it seem like this should apply to the 07 cars? Take the decals as a template? Could the car be delivered with the stripes included (in the trunk?) but not istalled?

Also if one chooses the stripe delete, does one still get the rocker panel "GT500" stripes?

On the stripe thread... If my memory serves me (and it doesn't always!) weren't the stripes on the original 65-70 Shelbys not really "straight" lines? From people that made clones and did them right, they were very concerned about "a greater width here, and a slimmer width there". What do you all remember, and does it seem like this should apply to the 07 cars? Take the decals as a template? Could the car be delivered with the stripes included (in the trunk?) but not istalled?

Also if one chooses the stripe delete, does one still get the rocker panel "GT500" stripes?

I can answer some of your questions (if my memory serves me).

I'm fairly sure I read a long time ago on ShelbyForums.com (this forum is mostly original Shelby owners) that the Shelby's back in the day had narrower stripes on the hood and trunk with wider stripes on the top of the car. 10 inches on the hood/trunk and 12 inches on top, or something like that.

With the stripe delete option, the stripes will still be on the rocker. I have not heard if Ford will include the stripe kit in the trunk if you do select the stripe delete option.

Please correct me if I'm wrong guys.

I believe your information is correct about the stripes.......

But I would be extremely surprised if they pass along the stripes, unapplied in the trunk for you to put on.

But nothing asked will be given.

KingCobra.

The stripes do taper a bit, but I think it is only about 1/4 inch. They start out narrower at the front of the hood and they are a little wider at the base of the windshield. Same thing from the back wider at the base of the rear window than they are at the edge of the trunk lid. this is suppose to keep them from having the illusion of getting narrower if you are stand in front of or behind the car and looking at the stripes. Apparently if they are the same width they look like they get skinnier at a distance. When I had them painted on my car I took all the correct measurements to my bodyshop, they painted them on and they looked great. A few years later a buddy of mine was painting them on his car so he came to measure mine to get the right dimensions and guess what? They were the same width all the way across the car! I guess the painter thought it was too much work to taper the stripes! I didn't complain, I figured if I never noticed it after several years it couldn't be too important!

I was also just at the Chicago Auto show.. I was told by a rep that they would be availible August with a MSRP of $40,000 and they would produce 8,000 - 10,000 units. So I am pretty sure whoever wants one is going to get one and that they will not be over MSRP if you wait a month or so when they first come out. Initialy I am sure that the excitement will drive the price over $40K but probably not very long. I guess I am just thinking of it as another Cobra really. Just wait and you will recieve ;) I mean 8,000 - 10,00 is alot. there is only 50 states and canada but canada doesnt count :P lol Not sure where else they are going to sell them but who knows. Thats enough of my ramblings. Also I am a noob to the site. been reading it alot though trying to get information. :D Laters,

Chris

Here ya go:

http://www.classic-mustang.net/jay/shelby/shelbystripes.html

And as a side note, the 65-66 were the only Shelby Mustangs that were striped at the factory. 67 and later were dealer or owner applied.

I was also just at the Chicago Auto show.. I was told by a rep that they would be availible August with a MSRP of $40,000 and they would produce 8,000 - 10,000 units. So I am pretty sure whoever wants one is going to get one and that they will not be over MSRP if you wait a month or so when they first come out. Initialy I am sure that the excitement will drive the price over $40K but probably not very long. I guess I am just thinking of it as another Cobra really. Just wait and you will recieve ;) I mean 8,000 - 10,00 is alot. there is only 50 states and canada but canada doesnt count :P lol Not sure where else they are going to sell them but who knows. Thats enough of my ramblings. Also I am a noob to the site. been reading it alot though trying to get information. :D Laters,

Chris

Welcome to the site Casper.

Careful, there are some really die-hard Canadians on this site. :rockon:

I believe that the Shelby will only be available in North America, so you're right 8-10k you would think would more than fill the bill.

Can't wait for mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KingCobra.

Really if you think about it the New Mustang was so popular right away that it was selling for $3000 or more over MSRP in my area but a year later the lots are FULL of new Mustangs. So I am sure if you wait you will get what you want :P Let the dealers sit on their marked up Shelbys for awhile so they learn they can't stiff us anymore. Selling a car over MSRP is a good way to loose customers if you ask me. There is a dealer in my area that will not take anything under $200,000 for a Ford GT. I mean come on. Its not like they are rare. Well in wisconsin they are all over. Just about every dealership has one sitting int he showroom. I just want a fair price for a good car, sell it to me for what the sticker says. Don't be a greedy mongolian. (No offense to Mongolians. It just sounds funny to me.) ;) Dealers around my area are just awefull, you go in to get a price or just even look at a car and they try to presure you into buying it. Like you are the bad guy and your just hurting them. Anyways thats enough of my rant. :P lol Had to vent

Also GO CANADIANS!!! :rockon:

Also I can't wait to lay waste to the roads this summer.

......Also I can't wait to lay waste to the roads this summer.

Yes, yes, YES!!! :happy feet:

Remember, we must all be careful not to drive in the same direction at the same time, lest we change the earth's rotation! :burnout:

Seriously, 8-10k will be good for us. On a side note, my buddy--who is now leaning HEAVILY on buying a Ford GT- & I were at a SVT dealer yesterday afternoon (hey, it was Friday). Anyway, I was talking with the salesman re: Shelbys and he strongly agreed that if you were patient you would not pay admu. They are positively getting 3-- 2 spoken for by the dealer's friends and one will be raffled off (see, FiveohB, it can be done with your Ford GT as well...if your boss approves). I will post the details of the raffle when they become available. By the way, the Ford GT was a quicksilver 2005 w/black stripes.....very evil looking! :rockon::yup:

Enough of my ramblings....must be a ramblin' day...ramble, ramble... :wacko:

The 8,000 - 10,000 units was what the demo Lady was saying at the autoshow when they were showing off the Shelby. So just for clarification I also asked 3 other Ford employees there and they all told me the same thing. I mean it could be arong but why would Ford have them give out wrong information to the public. Who knows. I am trying to get some more information.

Archived