TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Update from Chicago Show 2/10/06

VNMOUS1

First of all, hello everyone. Have been enjoying all the info everyone has been providing as well as the apparent comaraderie among the faithful. So, thank you for making this board informative and fun to read. Here's MY first post; as far as I can tell this is updated info but please excuse me if it's the proverbial "re-run".

I got to take a look around at the charity "First Look" event in Chicago on the 9th, (I'm in electronic media) but went in with the family last night and was told significantly more than at the media event. Cornered a Ford rep that was talking with some local dealer reps and we had a chat. BTW, the car on display was white with blue stripes and full black interior. I was bummed. As soon as the order banks open, I'm checking the "red" box.

The gentleman said that actual delivery on any production units now looked like August. Feb of '07 for the 'verts. I think I read on here somewhere that they needed to have enough cars down the line before they'd ship. He concurred. Said they had to have a "good number" of cars ready to go to make the shipping efficient. Production is still slated for 6/6/06. Order banks are assumed to open the first part of April. He did say that the 40k for coupe and 45k for vert still looked accurate. They do not have the figures yet, but there will very likely be a guzzler tax on it. The only way to minimize it is to go with a (numerically) higher ratio and they don't want to do that for performance's sake. He suggested I take a look at the recent Cobras and the GT and "extrapolate" for an estimate of MPG, then go to the EPA site and I could get a rough estimate of what to expect. (Looks like $3,000 to me unless they perform a miracle). They have no estimates for the car as of yesterday. The words "or better" followed the horsepower rating of 475. Not sure what that meant and didn't get to ask. BTW, on the display car I pray to God that the manhole cover glued to the kick panel was the speaker for the upgraded Shaker and not the std one because I won't get the upgrade. It was fugly. Seats had a power lumbar switch, manual back and power fro and aft.

Also looked at the Challenger....VERY cool console with new millenium version of pistol grip shifter. The CF unpainted "stripes" are a hot touch. Good looking car. Also saw the Camaro. One look at that thing and you can see why GM is in such deep hooowie. I know it's a concept, but even the design looked slapped together. My wife said it looked like the big guys at GM saw the success of the Mustang and the potential of the Dodge and had someone design that had never really seen an old Camaro build this one from a verbal description (she's very articulate and a gearhead....she's great!). There were a lot of heads shaking around the Camaro display and they weren't shaking up and down.

Hope some of this rant gave you updated info. Thanks again for a great board.

They do not have the figures yet, but there will very likely be a guzzler tax on it. The only way to minimize it is to go with a (numerically) higher ratio and they don't want to do that for performance's sake. He suggested I take a look at the recent Cobras and the GT and "extrapolate" for an estimate of MPG, then go to the EPA site and I could get a rough estimate of what to expect. (Looks like $3,000 to me unless they perform a miracle). They have no estimates for the car as of yesterday.

Good morning. Let me start by saying that I have enjoyed reading the posts on this forum and decided to become a member. This is my first post and I hope you find the information helpful.

One of the local dealers here in NC has a new Ford GT in their showroom. I was curious about the gas guzzler tax because of my plans to purchase a Shelby so I stopped by a few weeks ago to check it out. The gas guzzler tax on this GT was $2100. If you take the MPG on the sticker and go to the various websites that will figure the gas guzzler tax you will end up with a higher tax than what is actually on the sticker. That being said, I am not exactly sure how this tax is figured. Hopefully the gas guzzler tax on the Shelby will not be anymore than the $2100 on the GT.

Pics? Yes, I got some. I just meandered through the HELP section to read about attaching them and didn't find anything. Can one of you give me some rules and regs for posting? (sizes, etc) Thanks.

BTW, if you can show me how to post, I also have some nice shots of the Challenger as well as some (not so nice because my flash didn't go that far) shots of the interior of the GT500 that shows the "drilled" pedals, seat switches (lumbar, etc) and that big honkin' speaker hanging off the door.

Pics? Yes, I got some. I just meandered through the HELP section to read about attaching them and didn't find anything. Can one of you give me some rules and regs for posting? (sizes, etc) Thanks.

You can upload them straight from your computer using the "File Attachments", this is right below where you type in the message you are posting. Just click "Browse", find the pic you want to upload and click on it, click "Add This Attachment". Then your pic will show up right below the "Browse" and "Add This Attachment" buttons. You will then be able to add that pic to your post.

I usually resize my pics before uploading them to 800x600. If they are too big it just becomes a pain to view unless you have a huge monitor.

You can upload them straight from your computer using the "File Attachments", this is right below where you type in the message you are posting. Just click "Browse", find the pic you want to upload and click on it, click "Add This Attachment". Then your pic will show up right below the "Browse" and "Add This Attachment" buttons. You will then be able to add that pic to your post.

I usually resize my pics before uploading them to 800x600. If they are too big it just becomes a pain to view unless you have a huge monitor.

Here we go. As for sizing, I don't have PhotoShop or anything else on this laptop. So, sorry for what may be a mega-whoppers post but hopefully it's worth it. The interior shots are dark and grainy....simple camera and with their lighting everything with a flash looked horrible. But, you can see the seat switches on one and see there's a power lumbar and position with a manual seatback. The other pic shows the "optional" pedals and the manhole cover on the door. I've also attached some Challenger shots. Enjoy. bj

post-2868-1139750736_thumb.jpg

post-2868-1139750864_thumb.jpg

post-2868-1139750887_thumb.jpg

post-2868-1139751057_thumb.jpg

post-2868-1139751113_thumb.jpg

post-2868-1139751138_thumb.jpg

post-2868-1139751180_thumb.jpg

post-2868-1139751211_thumb.jpg

post-2868-1139751255_thumb.jpg

post-2868-1139751280_thumb.jpg

Looks like this car has the low stance of the car from Detroit. I sure hope that is the finished product.

I've read the comments/criticism about the stripes but had not paid much attention until seeing these photos. They really are in need of work around the license plate and third brake light area. Anybody know how much the stripes will add to the cost of the car? Certainly, they are going to add visibility for law enforcement types!

I've read the comments/criticism about the stripes but had not paid much attention until seeing these photos. They really are in need of work around the license plate and third brake light area. Anybody know how much the stripes will add to the cost of the car? Certainly, they are going to add visibility for law enforcement types!

Thanks for the shots, VNMOUS1.

By the way, this should be the ride height of the prod. Shelby. Stripes are said to be standard for the Coupe, non-existant for the 'vert (might change), and you can go with stripe delete if you wish. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the shots, VNMOUS1.

By the way, this should be the ride height of the prod. Shelby. Stripes are said to be standard for the Coupe, non-existant for the 'vert (might change), and you can go with stripe delete if you wish. Hope this helps.

While at the dealer yesterday i had a chance to take a close look at the stripes on the FordGT.

What I noticed was that there was a definite 'Ridge" where the stripe stopped on the body paint.

These were painted on stripes too.It seems the stripes were painted on after the body with no clear coat

applied after, on the whole car. If I were to have the stripes painted on I would rether have them be

blended in so the surface would be completly smooth.

The applied vinyl stripes would obviously have the same "ridge" as the GT painted stripes but wouldn't fit around the licence plate or spoiler as well.

I think we're talking at least $2000. to have them painted on the right way ,but i haven't priced it out with any paint shop yet.

Correct, sir, correct!

PS- you will always get some sort of ridge on a painted stripe...

Mr. Crispy I will have to disagree with you on this one. I had my bike painted and after the flames were painted there was three coats of clear and then wet sanded and polished. You cannot feel any ridge whatsoever on my flames.

post-1973-1139929502_thumb.jpg

post-1973-1139929502_thumb.jpg

I've heard of other people being concerned about the edge on painted on stripes, but I don't get it. You can't see them, and personally I don't particularly want people feeling my paint anyway. If you want to add stripes to a car that is already painted you would have to reclear almost the entire car. I had white Lemans stripes painted on my 67 GT500 20 years ago and they look fine. They just masked off the car and used a single stage paint. Sure there is a little edge, but I don't care. The difference in price is enormous, and you get the same look. Nobody can tell when the car is going down the street.

kaylan1521, nice stripes! As for feeling them:

I've heard of other people being concerned about the edge on painted on stripes, but I don't get it. You can't see them, and personally I don't particularly want people feeling my paint anyway. If you want to add stripes to a car that is already painted you would have to reclear almost the entire car. I had white Lemans stripes painted on my 67 GT500 20 years ago and they look fine. They just masked off the car and used a single stage paint. Sure there is a little edge, but I don't care. The difference in price is enormous, and you get the same look. Nobody can tell when the car is going down the street.

That was my experience. I had a '67 350, same thing, you could feel the stripes. Sold it to a guy, and 20 years later, it re-surfaced in Maryland, with the paint job I had done! Still looked awesome. But hey, if they can paint them & clearcoat over them, that's very good. I just think- like owenkelley- that the cost would be prohibitive due to the fact that alot of the car would have to be clearcoated. Further, it sounds as if Ford didn't even do that to the GT from the factory.....so, I guess it boils down to preferences. :)

Thanks for the pics Vnmous1, and welcome to the site.

Hard to tell exactly what they look like. What did you think of the aluminum pedals???

KingCobra.

Hard to tell, but they looked like covers. I have factory covers on my Infiniti and they have rubber "nubs" all over them. I'm not nuts about them. On the other hand, my Mazdaspeed MX-5 has real, live drilled ones (not covers). The interior was black and the turntable was large enough that the really close pix were of front and back. The side view with open door was probably 10 feet from me. But, I could see the shine from the metal on them. I also assume they were covers because this car didn't have the interior upgrade. The dash was the regular one. Ms. Model stated that there was an upgrade available and described the stitching, arm rests and console materials.

I'm not sure why they're making this an upgrade. It can't be that much and my guess is that a very high percentage of buyers will opt for it.

By the way, do any of you Mustang GT owners have the Shaker 500 system and if so does it have the extremely large speakers in the kick panels on the doors? I thought that was only the 1000, but my dealer said it was on both systems. No 1000 for me as the subs in the trunk would keep my Pings from fitting!

Spoke with my dealer yesterday. He said no news on order date. I told him they were talking about Aug/Sept delivery on coupes at the show. He said he's heard nothing other than the 6/6/06 date for production, but he also said that's the production date for Mustangs. THEN, SVT gets them, and as has been discussed here they'd no doubt stockpile a few for efficient shipping purposes. All I know is that he has my dough....I have a contract...and I'm champing at the bit. Anyone need a nice Mazdaspeed ;) ?

Both Shaker systems (500 and 1000) use the big door speakers.

I find it hard to believe that Ford will start 2007 regular Mustang (V6 and GT) production in June. They typically do not start the next model year of Mustang production until mid to late August - with the exception of specialty Mustangs on occassion (i.e. 2003 Cobra). So I would think that 2007 GT500 production could start in June with 2007 V6 and GT's beginning in August.

This transition period between model years brings up interesting questions ...

If the new '07 Shelby is built on the '06 Mustang GT, then they start pulling '07 Mustang GT's as they replace the 2006 model, will there be any differences in the Shelby as the change in model years occur?

Are there significant changes between the '06 and '07 Mustang GT's?

Does it make more sense to begin '07 Shelby and '07 Mustang production at the same time?

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Feb 15 2006, 02:14 PM) 3854[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

I find it hard to believe that Ford will start 2007 regular Mustang (V6 and GT) production in June. They typically do not start the next model year of Mustang production until mid to late August - with the exception of specialty Mustangs on occassion (i.e. 2003 Cobra). So I would think that 2007 GT500 production could start in June with 2007 V6 and GT's beginning in August.

But the question is one of efficiency. Not that I know anything, but does it make any sense at all to run nothing but Shelbys down the line?

And I was afraid your answer about the speakers would be correct. Glad I don't have really fat legs. Since I've never seen either system any closer than at the show on a turntable, can you tell me...are they as fugly as they look from a distance?? You'd think that when Bose can put great sound in a little cube and the surround in my Infinti (11 speakers) is for all intents invisible, they'd not have to do this. I haven't seen anything that big since the early 80s when I put a couple of 3-ways in the parcel deck of my Z28. (I know....the car sucked from the day it rolled off the line.)

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Feb 15 2006, 02:14 PM) 3854[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

But the question is one of efficiency. Not that I know anything, but does it make any sense at all to run nothing but Shelbys down the line?

And I was afraid your answer about the speakers would be correct. Glad I don't have really fat legs. Since I've never seen either system any closer than at the show on a turntable, can you tell me...are they as fugly as they look from a distance?? You'd think that when Bose can put great sound in a little cube and the surround in my Infinti (11 speakers) is for all intents invisible, they'd not have to do this. I haven't seen anything that big since the early 80s when I put a couple of 3-ways in the parcel deck of my Z28. (I know....the car sucked from the day it rolled off the line.)

I have an 05 GT Mustang with the Shaker 500 and I never thought that the speaker covers look that bad. Mine is Torch Red with the red/black interior and even with that combination the area that the cover is in is black so it blends in and isn't that noticeable. Plus, I've never felt that it stuck out too far but I don't have fat legs!

I have an 05 GT Mustang with the Shaker 500 and I never thought that the speaker covers look that bad. Mine is Torch Red with the red/black interior and even with that combination the area that the cover is in is black so it blends in and isn't that noticeable. Plus, I've never felt that it stuck out too far but I don't have fat legs!

Hope you didn't take my preferences as a personal attack on your speakers ;)

Seriously, from what I've seen and heard I'll simply be glad to get the car....big honkin' speakers or not.

Oh...and since Im a newbie here...what am I screwing up when I'm not highlighting the top post? It has some goofy stuff like

[quote name=

etc before the quote. I tried to highlight and that didn't seem to work. Thanks for the tutoring in advance.

Dissappointing to hear that the interior upgrade package has pedal covers, and not aluminum pedals.

KingCobra. <_<

SVT has updated the GT500 site and as of late yesterday there is a revised black/red interior shot as well as verbage about the interior upgrade that actually calls them "covers" in regard to the pedals.

Archived