TEAM SHELBY FORUM

06 GT-H vs 09 GT500

Hi guys

For many many reasons I love my GT-H and have put a lot of time and effort into it, IE.. signed dash, memorabilia, full documentation etc however ... I have always toyed with the idea of a GT500.. Sunday I (foolishly) stopped by a local Ford dealer here in SD who was selling a 09 GT500 with 5 miles (White with Blue stripe & Nav), $47,995 no dealer mark up (due to the 2010's coming out I guess?) Anyway, they said they would trade mine, for $30k ish .. current market value... and maybe do more to drop the price further on theirs?

In anyone's opinion would this be a good price / trade up and if so, why..? Or do I just keep my GT-H.. And no, unfortunately I cant buy both :( lol

Anyway, they said they would trade mine, for $30k ish .. current market value... and maybe do more to drop the price further on theirs?

I can't imagine a dealer giving anyone $30,000 for a 2006 GTH unless the car only has 100 miles on it. Sounds like they are playing around with the numbers between the GT500 & the GTH trade.

Take your GTH to say CarMax for a quote on what CarMax will purchase it for then ask the GT500 dealer why they are willing to pay so much more for it. I know CarMax is not a definite source of the GTH's value but it should answer a few questions for you on whats really going on.

Or better yet, tell the GT500 dealer you are keeping the GTH. Work out a price on the GT500 then tell them you've changed your mind and want to trade the GTH in afterall. You'll quickly see that $30,000 trade in value disappear.

Steve

Hi guys

For many many reasons I love my GT-H and have put a lot of time and effort into it, IE.. signed dash, memorabilia, full documentation etc however ... I have always toyed with the idea of a GT500.. Sunday I (foolishly) stopped by a local Ford dealer here in SD who was selling a 09 GT500 with 5 miles (White with Blue stripe & Nav), $47,995 no dealer mark up (due to the 2010's coming out I guess?) Anyway, they said they would trade mine, for $30k ish .. current market value... and maybe do more to drop the price further on theirs?

In anyone's opinion would this be a good price / trade up and if so, why..? Or do I just keep my GT-H.. And no, unfortunately I cant buy both :( lol

It comes down to a VERY simple decision for me. Do you want to go fast or do you want to own a piece of automotive history?

Hey go to Mustang car show and you'll see a virtual sea of GT500s. They've made 10s of thousands with no end in sight, in the end you're just another GT500! The Hertz GT-H however is different and one of only 500 in the world and a true rare classic in the making!

Never mind I think the GH-H looks WAY better than a GT500, but I digress...so do you want to go fast, maybe racing pimple kids in ricers at stop lights, or do you want to belong to an exclusive club that I personally envy.

Maybe I'm being simplistic, but hey either way...good luck!

It comes down to a VERY simple decision for me. Do you want to go fast or do you want to own a piece of automotive history?

Hey go to Mustang car show and you'll see a virtual sea of GT500s. They've made 10s of thousands with no end in sight, in the end you're just another GT500! The Hertz GT-H however is different and one of only 500 in the world and a true rare classic in the making!

Never mind I think the GH-H looks WAY better than a GT500, but I digress...so do you want to go fast, maybe racing pimple kids in ricers at stop lights, or do you want to belong to an exclusive club that I personally envy.

Concur. The GT-H will probably be worth more someday if you can afford to wait.

I have both an '06 GT-H and an '08 GT500. The cars are so totally different I stay confused on which I would keep. I would agree with the posts on this topic that you buy the GT500 because you want to play and race the car. If you want something more collectable that gets more attention keep the GT-H. If you have to S/C it so it would run with a GT500. I get very little attention when I'm in my Vapor GT-500 but when I'm in the GT-H people literally chase me down to find out what I'm driving. If I had to choose just one and it was not a daily driver it would be the GT-H. If I had to pick a daily driver it would be the GT-500; its a more livable daily driver. I would suggest you find a buddy with a GT500 and drive one a while to get it out of your system. If the bug doesn't leave maybe you just need 2 Shelbys - lol.

Good Luck with your decision,

SVT

Keep the GT-H, take it to Vegas, have Shelby put on a supercharger on it. Problem solved.

Sam

AKA:

If you want more "GO" this is the answer.

The '66 GTH cars are the most wonderful cars I've ever seen. Here's before and after:

DSC_0285.jpg

and one I saw last week:

DSC_3518.jpg

Keep the history.

First, they are playing with the numbers, that is way to much for the trade, but also to much for the GT500.

I agree to Supercharge what you have, get the best of both worlds

Bill

I (test) drove a number of nice GT500s from San Diego dealers. I liked them. A GT500 was a great highway cruiser. It was not that nice as a drive-around-on-the-streets vehicle. It seemed ponderous in contrast to the SGT and GTs I tried. I suppose with sufficient acclimatization (and skill) (and patience) (and gas money) (and especially, cognitive dissonance) one could learn to enjoy daily-driving in a GT500.

If I could have a GT500 in addition to an SGT or GT, it would be nice. I could feature driving a thousand-mile trip across the West in a GT500. It would take too much sacrifice in enjoyability to drive it daily, as a transport module on city streets, seems to me.

The one I tried at a San Diego dealer was - after some negotiation - on offer at 42K regardless of trade or down amount. That was August 2008 on a 2008 with everything but the navigation.

Dealers are in a tough spot these days: they have to move cars, which means lower prices, but they also need to make a living, which means they will have to try to get you to pay more. It may be a matter of who has the most patience and fortitude.

i agree 100%. keep the gt-h and put a supercharger on it. i sold my gt-500 w/ no regrets and now have 3 hertz editions.

Personal choice that only you can answer??????

I say forget the future investment idea.....Do your research and go for the car you like the best.....

Personal choice that only you can answer??????

I say forget the future investment idea.....Do your research and go for the car you like the best.....

+1000

I personally love the GT-H and would pay a lot more for it than a GT500.

Good luck.

Ken

Sorry for the late reply guys... havent been online for a few days. I got bronchitis.... I really do love my car and after the supercharger talk am serioulsy considering this.. dont know why i hadnt thought of this.. I guess what got me with the gt500 was the increase in power.. regarding s/c my car from SAI, how long does it take? how much does it cost? and is there a wait list?

I just got GT-H #403 SC´ed at Tasca Ford. 550 hp whipple. Everything Shelby documented with Vin pates, SC plates and certificates etc. To me that is really the way to go.

The whippled 4.6 Shelby GT or GT-H is a very strong package. Mine made 455,1 RWPH on the dyno.

48168_Dyno01.jpg

48169_Dyno03.jpg

Cheers

Anders

thats awesome anders - thanks for the reply and pics,... beautiful car.. and i thought with the whipple you had to lose the strut tower brace but i see yours is still on there... i do have a couple of questions if you dont mind me asking....

what kind of cost was that parts and install approx total? how long did tasca have it for? and after s/c do you then have to make additional upgrades ie. gauges/brakes/re-tune etc?

Also, how did you get everything regsitered, certificates, plates etc with shelby .... (im on the west coast, san diego... tasca ford is on the east coast right? not sure where i would go to get the same install done.).

thats awesome anders - thanks for the reply and pics,... beautiful car.. and i thought with the whipple you had to lose the strut tower brace but i see yours is still on there... i do have a couple of questions if you dont mind me asking....

what kind of cost was that parts and install approx total? how long did tasca have it for? and after s/c do you then have to make additional upgrades ie. gauges/brakes etc?

Also, how did you get everything regsitered, certificates, plates etc with shelby .... (im on the west coast, san diego... tasca ford is on the east coast right? not sure where i would go to get the same install done.).

Don´t remember the exact cost, but it is in line whith the other Shelby Modification shops. Tasca fabricated brackets/lowering blocks so my engine could be lowered just enough to keep the strut tower brace. Not sure if the other mod shops can this? Maybe others can chime in.

Tasca could probably do it in just a few days. With my cars it hasn´t been that important as there a lot of shipping arrangements to wait for anyways.

I chose Tasca as they have great reputation and has done excellent work on my other cars in the past. I also like the Tasca history being one, if not the performance Ford dealership since the sixties.

Tasca takes care of all the registering, vin plates etc.

I would never trade my GT-H for GT500 :)

Anders

Keep the GT-H, take it to Vegas, have Shelby put on a supercharger on it. Problem solved.

Sam

AKA:

I agree with this! Blow it :shift:

I will chime in. I contacted SAI about Anders install after I spoke with TASCA to see if they can also lower the motor with the K-member and billet mounts etc being that SAI is closer for me. SAI Vegas will not do this. Bud sated that maybe when they become a full blown mode shop they may do this. Not sure what that ment as I thought they were a mod shop.

I am still waffling between Paxton and whipple. Bud will be sending me a picture of the hood mod should I do a whipple. I really do not want to loose the brace.

Also now giving this serious thought and have contacted Bud to get more info.. I wouldnt want to lose the strut brace either, What is your thoughts on 475hp Whipple vs 500hp Paxton? Whats the difference really? My car is a regular w.end drive, not a track or drag.. and as my car is totally stock, would you think I would then need/have to make other mods after the sc (i dont really want to sc it then have to do lots more other mods, ie brakes etc.. maybe the gauges would be cool, but personally I like my car to be and look pretty stock)

Also now giving this serious thought and have contacted Bud to get more info.. I wouldnt want to lose the strut brace either, What is your thoughts on 475hp Whipple vs 500hp Paxton? Whats the difference really? My car is a regular w.end drive, not a track or drag.. and as my car is totally stock, would you think I would then need/have to make other mods after the sc (i dont really want to sc it then have to do lots more other mods, ie brakes etc.. maybe the gauges would be cool, but personally I like my car to be and look pretty stock)

If the question is for me, the 475 whipple I think would be great, however the stb is my delima. However, for my driving the Paxton would also be OK since I do not race or track and allows the motor to perform like a natural asperated motor in the low RPM range until I punch it. Not really worried about the low end HP. To that end, I have heard with the Paxton, it may be necessary to change the stall convertor to a 3500 becouse of the auto trans. Have not looked into this to much.

I think if the paxton could be installed at SAI I would do that. Not sure if or when this would happen so looking at options. For me an SAI install is important to keep it all Shelby.

Archived