TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 GT500KR

ctann

I am not sure if there was a date set for an introduction? There was a target date, but it was missed. I do not know when it will come out.

You want to kill me, don't you???????

I'm hurt'in bad!!!

I don't think I can hold out much longer under this pressure.

KingCobra. :blink: :blink:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

STILL NOTHING!!!

I'm dy'in here!!!

The pressures tooooo much!!!

You guys can fight over my Eleanor.............BANG..............

RIP

KingCobra. :unsure:

You crack me up. First you go the deep end when the info on the GT500 came out. Now you just about have an aneurysm with the KR. Sorry but you are cut off. You are way beyond my help. :shrug:;)

Does anyone have any speculation (assuming they do a GT500KR) about what they would do for it.

Would it just be ext/int design modifications???

KingCobra.

How about a twin screw with some exterior changes like side scoops,hood pins,and maybe diff tail lights.

Oh yeah and a "KR" on each side. :happy feet:

But it seems the GT500KR will be revieled (assuming it exists)

at The New York Auto Show on April 14,

but the order books are suppossedly going to open up at the end of March/beginning of April for the GT500!!!

:wacko:

I have to assume that I would probably rather have the GT500KR over the GT500, and we're potentially about 41 days away. But the New York Auto Show is 55 dys away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

What's a guy to do (don't answer that mrsuds)

KingCobra.

Man.............

That sounds great!!!!!!!

But what do we do if they open up the order books for the GT500, before revieling the details about the KR?

:shrug:

KingCobra.

The introuction of the "KR" is all speculation at this point. It just makes alot of sense if you consider the history of the GT500, the "KR" came out in the second model year. If they do make it, I think they should bump the horsepower a little bit as the original "KR"'s were supposedly a little more powerful than the original GT500's. Although advertising from back in the 60's doesn't support that claim as they advertised the '67 GT500's at 355 HP and the '68 KR's at 335 HP. Most articles from back then say that the '68 HP rating was well below the actual output. The '67 GT500's had the Police Interceptor 428 with dual 4-barrels, the '68 KR had the Cobra - Jet 428 with a single 4- barrel. I would bet if they do come out with a KR in '08 that it will physically be almost identical to the '07 GT500, but hopefully a little more powerful. I'll bet they don't announce anything about it until well into the production of the '07 GT500, why would they want to take the chance of having a bunch of people who are hoping to buy an '07 decide to wait until the '08's come out? I am tempted to wait until '08 just because I would like to see what the color selection is, but if they do come out with a "KR" the excitement for that won't be any less than it is for the '07 GT500, so you can bet that you won't save any money by waiting, plus you know the invoice for the car will be higher for '08 because of the way people have been lining up for the '07. Ford probably wishes they never mentioned that they were going to have an MSRP of under $40,000 after seeing the way people are lining up to put their names on waiting lists for this car.

The introuction of the "KR" is all speculation at this point. It just makes alot of sense if you consider the history of the GT500, the "KR" came out in the second model year. If they do make it, I think they should bump the horsepower a little bit as the original "KR"'s were supposedly a little more powerful than the original GT500's. Although advertising from back in the 60's doesn't support that claim as they advertised the '67 GT500's at 355 HP and the '68 KR's at 335 HP. Most articles from back then say that the '68 HP rating was well below the actual output. The '67 GT500's had the Police Interceptor 428 with dual 4-barrels, the '68 KR had the Cobra - Jet 428 with a single 4- barrel. I would bet if they do come out with a KR in '08 that it will physically be almost identical to the '07 GT500, but hopefully a little more powerful. I'll bet they don't announce anything about it until well into the production of the '07 GT500, why would they want to take the chance of having a bunch of people who are hoping to buy an '07 decide to wait until the '08's come out? I am tempted to wait until '08 just because I would like to see what the color selection is, but if they do come out with a "KR" the excitement for that won't be any less than it is for the '07 GT500, so you can bet that you won't save any money by waiting, plus you know the invoice for the car will be higher for '08 because of the way people have been lining up for the '07. Ford probably wishes they never mentioned that they were going to have an MSRP of under $40,000 after seeing the way people are lining up to put their names on waiting lists for this car.

For what it's worth, I heard Carroll Shelby himself confirm that the only difference in the GT500's and the KR's of the 60's was the letters "KR". He said he got the idea from the boys working on a Corvette KR and found out they hadn't trademarked the name and so, overnight, he "stole" the name right out from under them. Then, in order to make it official, the stuck the "KR" letters on the standard GT500 and presto! - a new model. A marketing genius.

If that's all it is then I can live with that.

But, at this point, I would be surprised if they didn't do something to make it different.

KingCobra.

Gary Patterson at Shelby Automotive ,when speaking of what they were working on with Ford,refered to it as an "upgrade". I take that as mainly power,but possibly something visual as well.

The anticipation has got me checking the boards all the time,its crazy!!!

Ford ,if you're reading this ENOUGH ALREADY !!!!!!!!!!!!! :headscratch::headscratch:

For what it's worth, I heard Carroll Shelby himself confirm that the only difference in the GT500's and the KR's of the 60's was the letters "KR". He said he got the idea from the boys working on a Corvette KR and found out they hadn't trademarked the name and so, overnight, he "stole" the name right out from under them. Then, in order to make it official, the stuck the "KR" letters on the standard GT500 and presto! - a new model. A marketing genius.

Yep, that's the official story. Good ol' Carroll was a marketing genius! Added mark-up for not much more than a name change and some additional badging.

Gosh, you think Ford would stoop to that level?? :shrug: You bet you a$$ they would!!

Yep, that's the official story. Good ol' Carroll was a marketing genius! Added mark-up for not much more than a name change and some additional badging.

Gosh, you think Ford would stoop to that level?? :shrug: You bet you a$$ they would!!

The "KR" 's in '68 did have the 428 CJ engine rather than the 428 Police Interceptor engine, I think most old Ford nuts would probably feel that the CJ engine was better than the PI engine. It had heads that supposedly breathed better, as I understand they were basically the 427 heads, maybe somebody can verify that or correct me if I'm wrong. I know the CJ engine came with a cast iron singe four barrel intake manifold rather than the aluminum dual quad manifold that was on the 67 GT500's, but in most things I have read over the years most people felt the '67's were overcarbuerated with the two fours. I have read Carroll's statement that the '67's ran as well as the KR's, but I don't know if the Cobra Jet owners would agree with that. Mine is a 67 with the PI engine and dual quads, so I'd like to think it runs as well as the CJ's, but I don't know that it truly does. I just think that most old musclecar guys prefer the 428 CJ engine to the 428 PI.

I tried to edit my last post, but I screwed up somehow. I just wanted to add that by the time the '68 Shelby's were being produced they were being built by Ford in Michigan. Shelby didn't really have anything to do with them other than his name being on them, basically like the '07's. So Carroll wasn't involved with the original KR's - maybe that's why he said that they didn't run any better than the 67's!

Gary Patterson at Shelby Automotive ,when speaking of what they were working on with Ford,refered to it as an "upgrade". I take that as mainly power,but possibly something visual as well.

The anticipation has got me checking the boards all the time,its crazy!!!

Ford ,if you're reading this ENOUGH ALREADY !!!!!!!!!!!!! :headscratch::headscratch:

Well, PLEASE keep us informed!!!

Are you suggesting that the possibile KR would not be coming from Ford as a separate model, but would be an after-market option of sorts available from Shelby Automotive directly for preple that have already purchased a GT500??? That would mean everybody would have the option to get it if they wanted, and both companies would get business out of it, WIN-WIN-WIN!!!!!!!

KingCobra.

Well, PLEASE keep us informed!!!

Are you suggesting that the possibile KR would not be coming from Ford as a separate model, but would be an after-market option of sorts available from Shelby Automotive directly for preple that have already purchased a GT500??? That would mean everybody would have the option to get it if they wanted, and both companies would get business out of it, WIN-WIN-WIN!!!!!!!

KingCobra.

I've been trying to find that out ,but no luck yet. They are tight lipped. Ford is good at being tight lipped these days ,there's enough people loosing their jobs as it is, I guess.

Archived