TEAM SHELBY FORUM

BLUE SMOKE

nsstang

On older engines I'm used to working on it's caused by oil passage on the valve stem seals most of the time, it only gets worse.

On these newer engines I would think it would mean the same thing but I'm not sure, if you're burning any oil to speak of or have a fair amount of smoke on start up I'd get it checked out before your warranty is up.

Will be in touch with the local dearler fist thing on Monday regarding this. Thanks for your replies.

This was a very common problem with the 4.6 engines in the Terminators. I experienced it in mine. As I recall it was not necessarily the valve guide seals but SVT was indicating it was some residual oil from the supercharger. As indicated, previously, this is not an internal engine concern and does not seem to be a problem other than being unsightly and embarassing, if someone sees it. I am surprised to hear this coming from the 5.4 crowd, as I have not seen a post on this concern, to date. Don't fret about it and just keep an eye on it in the future. Don't have this issue with my 17k Shelby, as of yet.

Just wondering if any other members are experiencing a puff of blue smoke only onstart ups?

Mine will do this if I don't let it fully warm up. i.e. start it in winter and not let it run long enough. Then next time I get a short burst of blue at start up. Otherwise I don't notice it.

Mine will do this if I don't let it fully warm up. i.e. start it in winter and not let it run long enough. Then next time I get a short burst of blue at start up. Otherwise I don't notice it.

Yes, I have noticed the very same thing. Yesterday afternoon I finally got to install my TVS. Anyone thinking about it, go for it! The boost gauge is far more responsive to throttle inputs, but that's another story. Regarding the blue smoke, when I removed my stock Eaton, I did notice oil residue on the throttle plates and the bell mouth. So yes, this could be a possible source for the blue smoke. Some have put an oil trap on the SC vacuum line. My feeling is a little lubrication in the SC is a good thing.

Archived