TEAM SHELBY FORUM

08SS0247 pick-up story

Well, the long awaited day finally came last Friday where I went to SAI to pick up my Super Snake. We arrived around 10 am and were greeted by Roger who took us to the "House of Lights" where I saw the car for the first time. They had it prepped for our arrival and it was a thing of beauty!! Everything was cleaned and polished and the car looked immaculate, almost to where you don't want to drive it but there was no way that wasn't going to happen. We then met VP Gary Patterson who showed us around the plant and took us to where they build the oringal cobras. Let me tell you SAI's shops are the cleanest I have ever seen, the exact sort of cleanliness you would look for in a place working on a person's favorite car. Anyway, they pulled the car out front for pic's and that is when we met Bud. I will get to him in a bit...

After break in and then driving nearly 1000 miles back to Bend, Oregon with a slight detour to hit the wine country in Northern Cal here are my observations:

Engine - After all of the posts I decided to go with the unwarranted 725HP polished KB supercharger and am extremely happy I did. This car is an absolute rocket ship! It is amazing the amount of low end torque/power it has even in 6th when you need to pass people up a hill. The sound of the engine and supercharger is one of a kind, much better than the stock Eaton. It pulls HARD and I am definitely going to take it easy (per Bud's STRONG advice) until I learn the car a little better. I think they should post a sticker that says, "Drinking and Driving strongly not recommended!" This engine absolutely rocks and I wouldn't change a thing.

Suspension - Since I am not a big track guy and just like to putt around town and look cool I went with the FRPP suspension package. There is a night and day difference between this and stock. Although the ride is much stiffer, the car handles incredible. Body Roll has been minimized and with the suspension and tires that were selected the car grips the road much better. I nearly got the wife sick in the swooping corners along the coastal highway. Not sure what the Eibach suspension is like but I am very happy with my choice. Oh, and the wheel hop is completely gone!

Brakes - Money is tight for everyone (unless you are an attorney) so I couldn't upgrade the rear brakes. But, the new brakes with the vented rotors and cooling ducts are a major improvement. Stopping power is much, much quicker and by God they look cooler than...

Overall Looks - How can you beat the look of this car, in any color? I went with the side scoops and think they fit the car as these were what was installed back in the day. In my opinion, the hood and the wheels and tires make the car what it is. Driving down the strip in Vegas people were stopping to take pictures of the car on their cell phones. I even had an older drunk lady flash me her boobs at a cross walk...she really should be doing that if you get my drift. Every time you stop somewhere people comment on the car and ask about it. The stock GT500 looks great, but this car is on a complete other level.

Interior - The gauge pod, head rests, console cover and floor mats all look fantastic. The head rest cover looks to have been upgraded to better match the color of the seats from the first SS's. Fit and finish are second to none. I got a web site from MM (Thanks!) and am going to update the lighting to blue to match my color scheme.

Quality - Unbelievable, enough said. When you see AD (or whoever) putting the finishing touches on the car you will see what I mean.

Add'l Mod's - I didn't elect to go with the interior upgrade or the cooling package because I was so anxious to get the car back. Let me tell you folks, both look like they are well worth the money and time if you can be patient. The cooling package comes with a brushed aluminum option which ties in with the polished KB supercharger extremely well. The new seat covers look and feel like those out of a $150K car.

Bud - What can I say, thanks so much for helping me along the way in this process and keeping me updated as to the car's progress. I don't think people understand how busy you are and how much responsibility is on your shoulders. I am sure our paths will cross in the future as now the wife wants a Shelby instead of a Vette...

If I can provide any advice to people out there who may be frustrated with the process, good things take time and great things take more. If you knew these people and how much they cared I think your tune would change. You can tell everyone who works there takes a ton of pride in what they do and are striving the be the best and produce the best product. And always remember, please and thank you go a long, long way in life...

Let me know if anyone has questions. Thanks again SAI for a job well done!!! Oh yeah, and here are some pic's...

post-16029-1243454347_thumb.jpg

post-16029-1243454359_thumb.jpg

post-16029-1243454382_thumb.jpg

post-16029-1243454347_thumb.jpg

post-16029-1243454359_thumb.jpg

post-16029-1243454382_thumb.jpg

Wow beautiful car :drool: , congratulations :happy feet: . I have a month to wait until mine gets back from SHM :cry: . Much the same options as yours, would you mind passing the web site along for the blue lights

Thanks Randy

Wow beautiful car :drool: , congratulations :happy feet: . I have a month to wait until mine gets back from SHM :cry: . Much the same options as yours, would you mind passing the web site along for the blue lights

Thanks Randy

Randy-

The web site is http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.as...+115+4294812054 You have your choice of red, green, or blue. Red is cheapest for some strange reason.

Enjoy your trip to SAI. It is a very cool place. And most of all, enjoy your car. They are awesome.

JW

Hi Jon,

It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife. I am so glad you love your "new" car. And I know I kept pounding it into your head about "respecting" the car until you get used to it, but now I think you know what I mean. :happy feet:

When the old lady flashed ya :camera: (closest thing I could come to a "flash") , did you tell my grandma I said hi? :hysterical: I pay her well to do that

And thanks for emailing the pic. It is on my wall of fame now :) I think I need a bigger office :drool:

Again, Jon, it was great meeting you. And I do hope to see you again, when you decide to do some upgrades!!!!

Bud

ps. Did you have fun on the way home? (inside joke LMAO!!!!!!)

Well, the long awaited day finally came last Friday where I went to SAI to pick up my Super Snake. We arrived around 10 am and were greeted by Roger who took us to the "House of Lights" where I saw the car for the first time. They had it prepped for our arrival and it was a thing of beauty!! Everything was cleaned and polished and the car looked immaculate, almost to where you don't want to drive it but there was no way that wasn't going to happen. We then met VP Gary Patterson who showed us around the plant and took us to where they build the oringal cobras. Let me tell you SAI's shops are the cleanest I have ever seen, the exact sort of cleanliness you would look for in a place working on a person's favorite car. Anyway, they pulled the car out front for pic's and that is when we met Bud. I will get to him in a bit...

After break in and then driving nearly 1000 miles back to Bend, Oregon with a slight detour to hit the wine country in Northern Cal here are my observations:

Engine - After all of the posts I decided to go with the unwarranted 725HP polished KB supercharger and am extremely happy I did. This car is an absolute rocket ship! It is amazing the amount of low end torque/power it has even in 6th when you need to pass people up a hill. The sound of the engine and supercharger is one of a kind, much better than the stock Eaton. It pulls HARD and I am definitely going to take it easy (per Bud's STRONG advice) until I learn the car a little better. I think they should post a sticker that says, "Drinking and Driving strongly not recommended!" This engine absolutely rocks and I wouldn't change a thing.

Suspension - Since I am not a big track guy and just like to putt around town and look cool I went with the FRPP suspension package. There is a night and day difference between this and stock. Although the ride is much stiffer, the car handles incredible. Body Roll has been minimized and with the suspension and tires that were selected the car grips the road much better. I nearly got the wife sick in the swooping corners along the coastal highway. Not sure what the Eibach suspension is like but I am very happy with my choice. Oh, and the wheel hop is completely gone!

Brakes - Money is tight for everyone (unless you are an attorney) so I couldn't upgrade the rear brakes. But, the new brakes with the vented rotors and cooling ducts are a major improvement. Stopping power is much, much quicker and by God they look cooler than...

Overall Looks - How can you beat the look of this car, in any color? I went with the side scoops and think they fit the car as these were what was installed back in the day. In my opinion, the hood and the wheels and tires make the car what it is. Driving down the strip in Vegas people were stopping to take pictures of the car on their cell phones. I even had an older drunk lady flash me her boobs at a cross walk...she really should be doing that if you get my drift. Every time you stop somewhere people comment on the car and ask about it. The stock GT500 looks great, but this car is on a complete other level.

Interior - The gauge pod, head rests, console cover and floor mats all look fantastic. The head rest cover looks to have been upgraded to better match the color of the seats from the first SS's. Fit and finish are second to none. I got a web site from MM (Thanks!) and am going to update the lighting to blue to match my color scheme.

Quality - Unbelievable, enough said. When you see AD (or whoever) putting the finishing touches on the car you will see what I mean.

Add'l Mod's - I didn't elect to go with the interior upgrade or the cooling package because I was so anxious to get the car back. Let me tell you folks, both look like they are well worth the money and time if you can be patient. The cooling package comes with a brushed aluminum option which ties in with the polished KB supercharger extremely well. The new seat covers look and feel like those out of a $150K car.

Bud - What can I say, thanks so much for helping me along the way in this process and keeping me updated as to the car's progress. I don't think people understand how busy you are and how much responsibility is on your shoulders. I am sure our paths will cross in the future as now the wife wants a Shelby instead of a Vette...

If I can provide any advice to people out there who may be frustrated with the process, good things take time and great things take more. If you knew these people and how much they cared I think your tune would change. You can tell everyone who works there takes a ton of pride in what they do and are striving the be the best and produce the best product. And always remember, please and thank you go a long, long way in life...

Let me know if anyone has questions. Thanks again SAI for a job well done!!! Oh yeah, and here are some pic's...

Congrats!! The car looks gorgeous!! Enjoy it and keep the shiny side up!! :happy feet: :dance:

Jon - Your Super Snake looks Great!! :shift:

I am still debating on the Aluminum vs. anodized Black option on the Cooling System Upgrade. I have been told that the Black looks best, espcially with the billet Super Snake caps in place, it makes the caps really stand out against the anodized Black. You didn't happen to get any pictures of the installed aluminum reservoirs did you?

R

Jon - Your Super Snake looks Great!! :shift:

I am still debating on the Aluminum vs. anodized Black option on the Cooling System Upgrade. I have been told that the Black looks best, espcially with the billet Super Snake caps in place, it makes the caps really stand out against the anodized Black. You didn't happen to get any pictures of the installed aluminum reservoirs did you?

R

Sorry, no pics. There was a blue SS out front when we arrived with the brushed aluminum look. I am sure you could polish them and get them to look like the KB supercharger. Ask Bud, he may be able to get you some pics of both in the cars especially if you are getting it installed. Again, I wish I would have done it but I may try and go back next January and get it done.

Well, now one week into having the car and it is a blast to drive. Took it to a golf tournament yesterday and must have had 30 people inquire about it. Even a high school kid told me, "sick car, dude!" I guess that is good...

Jon,

Sick car is good!

Great meeting you and your wife. She did look good in the Black CSX 4000! :)

It was truly our pleasure having you at our facility. Glad the trip went well.

Best of luck and enjoy! Have a safe and happy summer season.

Roger

Jon,

Sick car is good!

Great meeting you and your wife. She did look good in the Black CSX 4000! :)

It was truly our pleasure having you at our facility. Glad the trip went well.

Best of luck and enjoy! Have a safe and happy summer season.

Roger

Thanks Roger! I will be back, maybe next January if there is another birthday bash. I definitely want to get the cooling package and by then I am sure you will have something else in the works.

Drove the car to the golf course again today. The amount of compliments I receive are crazy. Making the turn to the back nine there were 5 people standing around the car looking at all the badging trying to figure out what in the hell they were looking at. I walked over and told them. My favorite thing to tell people is 725 HORSE POWER BABY!!! Glad I went with the KB. Anyone on the fence out there should take the advice of everyone on this forum and go with the larger HP option. You won't regret it.

Archived