TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rack and Pinion for 66 Mustang

carnut

Anyone done a rack and pinion conversion on the 65 66 Mustang. I am close to ordering the manual kit from Chris Alston Chassisworks, (Total Control Products) and was wonder if anyone has done this conversion and what do they think of it :idea:

Gee I start a boring old tech question and I end up replying to my own post to keep it alive. How sick is that? :hysterical:

Do you mind telling whose kit if any you used.

Yeah, stoker, cool. The rack and pinion will be done when I replace motor and tranny.

347, 10 to 1 cr, block girdle, Probe rotating assembly, Probe shaft mounted rocker conversion, ported AFR heads, mechanical roller cam, divorced plane manifold, 750 double pumper, Baumann EOD with stand alone computer control system, multidisc lock up converter, a sniff of gas, 9 inch with 3:90 gears, 4 wheel disc brakes.

It will most like kick the crap out of my new Shelby.

So with the hp, I am thinking the rack and pinion is the only way to go. :shift:

I installed the TCP power rack and pinion(now owned by Alston) in my Boss 429.Works great!

Really nice car, (I'm jealous) thanks for input. I realize the Boss is significantly heavier, and this would be hard to guess, but would you have gone with the manual rack if your car was a lot lighter, say 3,000 lbs ?

With only 3000 lbs and a smallblock manual would be first choice,but if you are going to drive a lot of street miles power sure would make it comfortable to drive.

The KRC pump that is used with the system has a valve that takes about 5 minutes to change if you want to increase road feel.Also,the installation of wider wheels and tires on the front will have a bearing on the decision.

Along with your upgrades,don't forget the 4 wheel discs.

post-2941-1164297377_thumb.jpg

post-2941-1164297564_thumb.jpg

post-2941-1164297377_thumb.jpg

post-2941-1164297564_thumb.jpg

Archived