TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The only Hood Scoop Fix !

I agree. That looks sharp. I might do the same thing if Chip and Heath have any left by the time I am ready to fix mine.

I was told yesterday by Carl (08SGT1234) that my scoop and stripes were the worst he had ever seen and he has had his scoop replaced twice. His looks great now with the final SAI version.

I love my original equipment improved Shelby mod-shop installed Shelby GT hood scoop!!! :happy feet:

I love my original equipment improved Shelby mod-shop installed Shelby GT hood scoop!!! :happy feet:

I asked Dennis G. if TASCA would fix mine under warranty and have never heard back :shrug:

I heard that after doing yours (which I understand is a good fix) they don't want to do anymore. I see the headaches that some have had and am reluctant to take it to anything but a Shelby Mod Shop.

There are any number of GREAT body shops, such as the one I went to, that are more than qualified and able to install these.

The key is finding one. If anybody knows a Ford dealer in the Maryland or DC metropolitan area who has SUCCESSFULLY done the new and final fix from SAI, let me know. Thanks!

I bought the Chip Beck hood scoop from Heath at Thanksgiving 2008 and am soooo glad I did!

Andrew

Andrew,

Thank you for posting those photos. Your hood scoop looks outstanding and it will outlive you!! With this most nagging problem behind you, I believe you'll enjoy every drive even more when you look out across your hood and everything is perfect.

The Shelby GT has a far more serious look about it when that hood scoop is open. My 16-year-old son Charley recently did a high school science experiment. The subject he chose to analyze was the effectiveness of automobile hood scoops and whether or not they did anything beneficial at reasonable vehicle speeds. Heath Lehost at Performance One Aviation provided us with both a calibrated aircraft altimeter and remote temperature measuring equipment so that we could take accurate measurements of temperature and air density. The reduction in temperature near the supercharger was over 20°F with that scoop open! After an extended period of idling the reduction in temperature was 35°F!!! As supercharger efficiency is greatly affected by temperature, your open scoop is unquestionably more than just an ornament.

Heath has sold about a dozen of those scoops now with a 100% satisfaction rate from everybody who has received one. Compare that with the satisfaction rate of the scoops everybody else is trying to deal with.

All the best.

Chip

Andrew,

Thank you for posting those photos. Your hood scoop looks outstanding and it will outlive you!! With this most nagging problem behind you, I believe you'll enjoy every drive even more when you look out across your hood and everything is perfect.

The Shelby GT has a far more serious look about it when that hood scoop is open. My 16-year-old son Charley recently did a high school science experiment. The subject he chose to analyze was the effectiveness of automobile hood scoops and whether or not they did anything beneficial at reasonable vehicle speeds. Heath Lehost at Performance One Aviation provided us with both a calibrated aircraft altimeter and remote temperature measuring equipment so that we could take accurate measurements of temperature and air density. The reduction in temperature near the supercharger was over 20°F with that scoop open! After an extended period of idling the reduction in temperature was 35°F!!! As supercharger efficiency is greatly affected by temperature, your open scoop is unquestionably more than just an ornament.

Heath has sold about a dozen of those scoops now with a 100% satisfaction rate from everybody who has received one. Compare that with the satisfaction rate of the scoops everybody else is trying to deal with.

All the best.

Chip

Chip,

I can't thank you enough for spending the time and money to do this project .... I win twice I get the world's best scoop for the SGT and I get Mr. Shelby's signature on the original one.

I am blessed that I have a job with a great company and could afford to skip the dealer warranty work on this.

I am looking forward to your strut tower brace (stock hood and Whipple SC) and hoping one day you make functional side scoops !

Take care and have a Great Memorial day

Andrew

Congratulations Andrew, it looks fantastic! What you've done (Chip beck/Heath Lehost scoop and painted stripes) is one of the top three things I want to do to my SGT one day (Whipple and Griggs suspension being the other two). Seeing yours demonstrates it can be done right and gives hope to the rest of us. Again, congratulations!

Chuck

Chip,

I can't thank you enough for spending the time and money to do this project .... I win twice I get the world's best scoop for the SGT and I get Mr. Shelby's signature on the original one.

I am blessed that I have a job with a great company and could afford to skip the dealer warranty work on this.

I am looking forward to your strut tower brace (stock hood and Whipple SC) and hoping one day you make functional side scoops !

Take care and have a Great Memorial day

Andrew

So Andrew.... when do I see this and where are the running lights and lower grill?

Grady

I am at work on Memorial Day

The key is finding one. If anybody knows a Ford dealer in the Maryland or DC metropolitan area who has SUCCESSFULLY done the new and final fix from SAI, let me know. Thanks!

You can go out and find any body shop you want and go to any dealer you want and tell them that you want to subcontract the work to the shop of your choice and you will pay any difference above Ford's allowance and take responsibility. The alternative is they do it, or subcontract it out, and if it's not right have to redo it or fix it on their dime! Ford pays once!

It's amazing the response you get when you clearly explain the situation to them.

You can go out and find any body shop you want and go to any dealer you want and tell them that you want to subcontract the work to the shop of your choice and you will pay any difference above Ford's allowance and take responsibility. The alternative is they do it, or subcontract it out, and if it's not right have to redo it or fix it on their dime! Ford pays once!

It's amazing the response you get when you clearly explain the situation to them.

Thanks. How is it that Ford pays once when some people have had their scoop replaced several times? Who is paying for the subsequent repairs?

Andrew,

All the best.

Chip

Chip - As always your journalism is high end. The scoop being wide open is the way these should have come from SAI. These cars, SGT's, were made for profit... period. The 1966 GT350 had a wide open scoop and these were made to mimick those scoops "without" the time, effort, design element and money spent on them. It is easy to put a asthetic mod on any car but to acutally make it functional is another thing. So kudo's to you and Heath for a job well done and shame on SAI for a lousy scoop to begin with.

All that being said, I still love the look of the Shelby GT more than any Mustang I have ever had.

Swede

I asked Dennis G. if TASCA would fix mine under warranty and have never heard back :shrug:

I heard that after doing yours (which I understand is a good fix) they don't want to do anymore. I see the headaches that some have had and am reluctant to take it to anything but a Shelby Mod Shop.

Now that's interesting. I have the only TASCA Shelby GT hood scoop????? :happy feet:

Chip - As always your journalism is high end. The scoop being wide open is the way these should have come from SAI. These cars, SGT's, were made for profit... period. The 1966 GT350 had a wide open scoop and these were made to mimick those scoops "without" the time, effort, design element and money spent on them. It is easy to put a asthetic mod on any car but to acutally make it functional is another thing. So kudo's to you and Heath for a job well done and shame on SAI for a lousy scoop to begin with.

All that being said, I still love the look of the Shelby GT more than any Mustang I have ever had.

Swede

Look Swede we all know Obama is in office but its still a capitialist country...I mean shoot SAI is not building cars for the heck of it???

Dang I'd bet Bud gets a paycheck!! And AMY TOO!! and those techs are not involuntary servants...holy batcaves!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding you still crack me up after all this time....you coming this weekend?

Cheers!

Archived