TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Windex?

I was doing parade duty last week and as I got ready to leave the house, I noticed water spots and tracks where water ran out under the spoiler and around the tail lights. So, I remembered what a friend had told me, a very soft rag and windex will erase all water spots and won't hurt the finish. I had a soft wax applicator and tried it.....worked.....erased all spots immediately, dried quickly without leaving residue. Just wondering if it's as safe as it seems.....any one else try this?

I wouldn't do that. Windex contains amonia and it could take off the wax that you put on. I would use some quick detailer instead. Probably at the time when that was mentioned it was a while ago and quick detailer was not near as popular as it is now.

I was doing parade duty last week and as I got ready to leave the house, I noticed water spots and tracks where water ran out under the spoiler and around the tail lights. So, I remembered what a friend had told me, a very soft rag and windex will erase all water spots and won't hurt the finish. I had a soft wax applicator and tried it.....worked.....erased all spots immediately, dried quickly without leaving residue. Just wondering if it's as safe as it seems.....any one else try this?

I would think that the ammonia in windex removes wax. Could use a detailing spray that's made for auto paint. Lots of them out there.

Windex does remove wax. It will also mar the tail light lens, as well as headlight lens and scratch any window tint.

If you have access to a private airport, call them and see if they have Prist Plastic Cleaner. Won't hurt any plastic, tint or remove wax.

I've used it for decades and it's a proven and great product.

Edit: Here's a link to a source. Pilot Shop - Prist Window Cleaner

Not all Windex products contain ammonia.

What ingredients are in Windex® Glass and Multi-Surface Cleaners?

Windex® Glass and Multi-Surface Cleaners contain detergents, solvents, fragrance, Ammonia-D®, and alcohol. They should not be used if ammonia is not recommended for use on surface. (Windex® Multi Task with Vinegar and Windex® Outdoor Window & Surface Cleaner do not contain ammonia. They are safe to use in these cases.)

A mist and wipe with Windex works fine. I do it all the time and it leaves one hell of a shine.

Don't use it on Lexan but it is ok for plexiglass.

Can I use Windex® on all types of windows and mirrors?

On glass windows, mirrors, and Plexiglas®, Windex® cleaners work great. They're fast and easy, and they cut right through dirt and grime. Just spray on Windex® and wipe it off for a streak-free shine.

If you plan to use Windex® on your tinted windows, test a small area first. Care of tinted windows may vary.

For all of you airplane and helicopter owners, we're sorry, but Windex® is not formulated to clean your LEXAN® windows.

http://www.windex.com/faqs.asp#3

Windex has an automotive spray which will not do damage to tint or plastics so it says. I just used it on my windows and outside mirrors. I watered it down a little for inside just because like everyone else I did'nt quite trust what I read. It did a good job and no apparent damage. But I did not check for ammonia in its ingredients.:headscratch:

Glass cleaner is for glass and nothing else. Use a detail spray on paint. If you have to use glass cleaner on paint at least use a automotive safe glass cleaner. Blue glass cleaner of anykind should not be used because the blue dye will stain paint,tint, and plastic over time. Take a look at the inside window weatherstrip of your car and you will probably see blue dye dried in the weatherstrip. Finally windex will strip wax, sealant, polish and any thing else on paint. Detail guy out. LOL

I read years ago that glass cleaner shouild not be used on the plastic lenses on gauges, so I've always avoided doing that. I always make sure to vacumn and/or use a light duster to remove any particles, and then clean with a soft cotton cloth dampened with warm water if necessary. This seems to have prevented any scratches on those lenses over the years.

I may be utterly and completely mistaken... but wasn't it said somewhere that a vinegar and water mixture was safe in removing water spots?

Nope - that's a great secret. Use like a 3 to 1 mix of water to vinegar. I works great with water spots.

Nope - that's a great secret. Use like a 3 to 1 mix of water to vinegar. I works great with water spots.

Amen to that, I've been driving for 45 years and doing the same to all the cars I've ever owned and some of them waxed daily.

Steve

AZ.

I have this product that has vineager in it, it is designed to remove water spots, does not work though

What is the trick, should I mix it with water?

Also, should I spray it onto my cloth or the the paint directly?

Just use household vinegar. Make it a little stronger if you need - I'd say no more than 50/50. I wouldn't mix your other stuff - don't know what's in it. Oh - I only use it with a cloth dampened with the mix.

Thanks guys! This mix reeked of vinegar and I shot it on the applicator, then wiped. Don't think I did any real damage, but will go to the vinegar/water mix for the future!

Mix both 1:1 and it works. Any type of liquid will etch if left on long enough. A round dropplet becomes a magnifying glass for light of anykind and with gravity thats all it takes to damge any surface. Now vinagar and water on for a few seconds doesnt have enough time to damage paint if removed right away like I stated many many times. If you spray and walk away it will etch eventually. Hope this makes sense.

I'm surprised so many people use vinegar. I say that because when we got the care and use instructions for our granite countertops it said that vinegar would etch the surface.

Granite is very porous - it stains easily. Don't get any red wine on it. Clear coated car paint is not so porous. But do mix it with water and don't use it liberally.

So here is what I use

Duragloss water spot remover

http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-water-spot-remover.html

It says will not remove water spot if etched into paint. Hmmm isint that the only time you would need something like this? I mean if the water is still a drop on the car, you would just wipe it away?

I don't like this product unless I am just using it wrong or can you not remove a water spot at all once its etched? What does etched technically mean anyway

Hm glad I was onboard with the vinegar, because I ended up using the other day - about a 70/30 water/vinegar combo. I ended up spraying the water spots and then wiping with a microfiber towel, and then spraying with water and wiping that clean with a separate cloth to pick up any remaining vinegar. Took the spots off!! :whew:

I use Meguiare's Quik Detaileron the paint, works awesome. Spray it on, terry it off. Piece of cake.

As far as the windows go, I use aerosol glass cleaner with no ammonia that I get from the auto paint supply store in town.

Chris

Archived