TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Light Weight Driveshaft

Pros and cons of 1 piece, light weight drive shaft?

I suppose more RWHP is obvious.

How much with stock SGT? Can you tell the difference?

How about flex, vibration, etc?

Who has what?

TIA :headscratch:

OlBlue

The Driveshaft Shop aluminum one piece seems to be a favorite around here. It's on my to do list.

Ken

Has anyone tried the 2-piece Aluminum/Chromoly from these guys? It would fix the harmonic vibration problem and be a lot lighter too (27 lbs vs. 48 lbs).

I went with the 4 in. aluminum d.s. from the axle exchange. I have no issues with it at all. Paid 699.00 plus shipping. The shaft weighs 18 lbs. and the adapter weighs 3 lbs. for a total weight of 21 lbs.t This is what was advertised and this is also what i weighed it at. No problem with clearence either and it is rated for 750 plus h.p. JDM racing uses these shafts on there cars so i don't think i will ever have to worry about this shaft in my car. Good mod but pricey. Don't forget the adj. upper control arm to set your pinion angle when changing the shaft. As for as h.p. gain you might gain 10 or 12 h.p. but with the shaft weighing half as much as the steel 2 piece it's easy to see how you would gain h.p. because of the less weight you have to turn. The factory shaft is only 3 in. but very bulky. The difference in the 3 1/2 in and 4 in is the 4 in. is stronger but i don't think you could tear up the 3 1/2 '' if you wanted to. The 4 '' can handle a little more critical speed but there are a lot of 3 1/2 '' shafts with s/c that have no issues. Good-Luck

I've got the one piece drive shaft from Coast, it's laying in my garage right now I'm put'n it on this weekend, I'll let you know! I bought it when they had a special on E-bay, 500.00.

I had a one piece in my Saleen.

The biggest surprise is taking it out of the box and comparing the stock weight to the one piece weight.

The biggest con is if you like to rev match or heel-toe, you are definitely going to feel those down shifts in the seat of your pants.

I didn't have any other problems other than that.

Is the dyno tech a simple bolt in or did you have to reset the ring and pinion clearances?

Yes the DynoTech is a simple bolt-on, no adaptor required. I did use an adjustable Upper Control Arm to set the pinion angle but that is probably a good idea to do regardless of which brand 1-piece drive shaft you use.

Yes the DynoTech is a simple bolt-on, no adaptor required. I did use an adjustable Upper Control Arm to set the pinion angle but that is probably a good idea to do regardless of which brand 1-piece drive shaft you use.

Can someone explain to me what this pinion angle thing is and how the new driveshaft changes it?

:headscratch:

edit - Never mind, I googled it - so now I ask, does it require special instruments or something to get the pinion angle correct or can any of us do this in our garages?

Can someone explain to me what this pinion angle thing is and how the new driveshaft changes it?

:headscratch:

edit - Never mind, I googled it - so now I ask, does it require special instruments or something to get the pinion angle correct or can any of us do this in our garages?

You just need an inclineometer and a adjustable control arms.

I'm using the DynoTech 1-piece aluminum 3.5".

DynoTech builds driveshafts for NASCAR, NHRA, NMRA, etc... High quality and a very easy install.

http://www.dynotechengineering.com/

http://www.brenspeed.com/dshaft05gt.html

I researched this extensively and I also got the Dynotech. It gets nothing but extraordinary reviews and as Cuda said it is used by all the professionals.

That's one of the reasons why you buy these shafts is to not have vibrations. You have Coast,Dynotech,Spyder shaft,Axle Exchange and a few more who sell 3 1/2'' and 4'' aluminum shafts and no one has been critical of them and they are all very close in price. It's just a matter of whether a person feels they are getting enough bang or should i say h.p. for the buck. I'm pleased with mine but don't think i would be displeased no matter what brand i bought as long as it was aluminum.

That's one of the reasons why you buy these shafts is to not have vibrations. You have Coast,Dynotech,Spyder shaft,Axle Exchange and a few more who sell 3 1/2'' and 4'' aluminum shafts and no one has been critical of them and they are all very close in price. It's just a matter of whether a person feels they are getting enough bang or should i say h.p. for the buck. I'm pleased with mine but don't think i would be displeased no matter what brand i bought as long as it was aluminum.

There seems to be a lot of positive comments here, I've seen a lot of vibration complaints and also clearance issues with the Aluminum shafts /shrug

Archived