TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Not So Honest Ebay Sellers

With the old Chrysler Corporation pretty much gone, at least with anything to do with the Shelby cars, our main source of parts is going to eBay. While looking around eBay this morning I came across an auction for a Shelby modified speedometer that the seller claims came from a 1986 Shelby GLHS.

The seller puffs up their description with quotes like "Correct for 86 (Omni) GLHS", "The speedo was upgraded to 135 at the Shelby facility in California.", "1 of 500 cars made in this configuration, so you know it's rare getting rarer.", etc.

Well from the first glance I knew something was wrong as the 1986 Shelby GLHS speedometer was upgraded by SAI with yellow numerals for the above 85mph speeds and not white numerals that the sellers photos were showing.

Besides being in the wrong color the numbers are in the wrong type font. And if that wasn't enough the decal was applied incorrectly in correlation to the Mopar numbers.

In a nutshell the seller has a $10 Dodge Omni speedo that has had an incorrect aftermarket decal applied in the wrong position which is now being advertised as a rare speedo from one of the 500 Shelby GLHS cars manufactured by Shelby Automobiles.

So unless you know 100% on what you're bidding on, be smart and ask questions from other Shelby Dodge enthusiasts. Just because a seller says something doesn't always make it true. Just like the $355 GLHS fog lights that sold on ebay last week, although you could make them fit a GLHS, the fact is they were a over the counter universal fit fog light kit.

Lets be careful out there.

Steve

EBAY AUCTION

I was considering bidding on that for my Rampage. I already got robbed a few years ago by a guy on TD when I tried to get one then. Can we get a nice pic of an 87 speedo to compare if someone tries this again?

I just went over there and saw that he posted the question about it being an 86 speedo. He says he's seen both yellow and white numbers in 86. I remember hearing that 87 was white. Could this be an 87? Just want to verify with the experts before I report his item to ebay.

I just went over there and saw that he posted the question about it being an 86 speedo. He says he's seen both yellow and white numbers in 86. I remember hearing that 87 was white. Could this be an 87? Just want to verify with the experts before I report his item to ebay.

Here's an '87 GLHS speedo

post-11998-1242701331_thumb.jpg

post-11998-1242701331_thumb.jpg

HE said he has seen both white and yellow. Said the date on the cluster was Nov, 8, 1985. This makes no sense to me due to the 86 S cars being the last 500 of the GLH-Ts. Not that an earlier cluster couldn't have been used, but it seems odd to me.

Here's an '87 GLHS speedo

Yes this pic is indeed a 1987 speedo.

On the 1986 GLHS cars the decal had yellow numerals and went from 95-135 mph. On the 1987 GLHS cars the decal had white numerals that went from 95-125 mph.

It's impossible for a 1986 Shelby modified speedo to have a white numeral decal as that decal wasn't even produced when the 1986 cars were built.

As I mentioned earlier the seller has a regular Omni speedo that can have any date on it from the 1980's.

Steve

Yes this pic is indeed a 1987 speedo.

On the 1986 GLHS cars the decal had yellow numerals and went from 95-135 mph. On the 1987 GLHS cars the decal had white numerals that went from 95-125 mph.

It's impossible for a 1986 Shelby modified speedo to have a white numeral decal as that decal wasn't even produced when the 1986 cars were built.

As I mentioned earlier the seller has a regular Omni speedo that can have any date on it from the 1980's.

Steve

Nov of 85 would have been in an 86 year model car, however, I doubt the last 500 would have had an early cluster. I also agree that the 86 cars had the yellow overlay(mine does)!!

Steve, that is what I was saying in the previous post.

I'm pretty sure someone made re-pops at one time.
They still are available. Even if it is a re-pop, it isn't the correct one for the 86(I know you know this). I agree, he is just trying to make more $$$$ by lying about what he has. D-bag. :censored:

Nov of 85 would have been in an 86 year model car, however, I doubt the last 500 would have had an early cluster. I also agree that the 86 cars had the yellow overlay(mine does)!!

Steve, that is what I was saying in the previous post.

They still are available. Even if it is a re-pop, it isn't the correct one for the 86(I know you know this). I agree, he is just trying to make more $$$$ by lying about what he has. D-bag. :censored:

While it is true that the last 1000 Shelby Chargers went to Whittier to be converted, I am not so sure that was the same with the 1986 GLH Turbo cars. The 86 cars were a production planned well in advance, while the 1987 cars were a "last minute" add on to the model year for Whittier which is why Shelby got the last 1000 of them.

The VIN lists seem to support this as the 86 GLHS VIN's cover a much larger area with sequential

VIN's scattered throughout. While the 87 GLHS VIN's are a tighter grouping with 10's and 20's of VIN's in sequential order all over.

Barry

While it is true that the last 1000 Shelby Chargers went to Whittier to be converted, I am not so sure that was the same with the 1986 GLH Turbo cars. The 86 cars were a production planned well in advance, while the 1987 cars were a "last minute" add on to the model year for Whittier which is why Shelby got the last 1000 of them.

The VIN lists seem to support this as the 86 GLHS VIN's cover a much larger area with sequential

VIN's scattered throughout. While the 87 GLHS VIN's are a tighter grouping with 10's and 20's of VIN's in sequential order all over.

Barry

Thanks Barry. I had read they were the last 500 GLH-Ts. Interesting.

Archived