TEAM SHELBY FORUM

OEM radiator/intercooler on SS

SS Owners-

I think the time has finally come when I will be getting my car back from the SS conversion. I am hopeful Friday is the day but it still needs to be test driven and go through QC.

I went onto Kenne Bell's web site and learned about the differences between twin screw and roots type superchargers. It sounds like the twin screw runs much cooler and they even mention that intercoolers are not required. My question is for all of the SS owners with the OEM intercooler and radiator - have you had any overheating problems? I decided not to upgrade the radiator and intercooler with the new Shelby parts but may decide to do so in the future. Seems like if you track the car this is a good idea as the car will run much hotter.

Please let me know your opinions.

I ran my 725HP SS at Fontana Raceway and overheated on the second session. Blew fluid all over the engine :banghead: . It took me four hours to clean up the mess.

Since then I've changed over to the complete cooling package that Shelby offers. One of the most important mods I have done.

I ran my 725HP SS at Fontana Raceway and overheated on the second session. Blew fluid all over the engine :banghead: . It took me four hours to clean up the mess.

Since then I've changed over to the complete cooling package that Shelby offers. One of the most important mods I have done.

I would add my .02 but I think you guys know what I'm going to say!

You need to look at the cooling system in a couple of different ways. The cooler you keep the car running the better your engine longevity. The cooler downstreams with the new heat exchanger enable you to have power and sustain power even after a 4 hour drive. I had one customer actually tell me that he was able to drive the car for 8 hours on a long trip. Got to the destination and punched it (he has a Kenne Bell and makes over 700 RWHP) the tires broke loose like he had just started it. You'll notice that the car gets sluggish (heat soak) after just a short drive with the OEM equipment. OBTW, OEM equipment was originally designed for a vehicle with 440 RWHP and 500 flywheel horse power. What kind of power are we pushing now? Higher Horsepower = Higher Heat

The first time a Z06 or a ZR-1 pulls up next to you after you've been driving the car for 30 minutes or more and the end result is not what you thought it would be, you'll re-think putting in the cooling system.

VC

Archived