TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What is Your Favorite Bourbon?

I never thought I would consider myself a fan of bourbon, but I've tried some smaller batch versions recently that I liked, and I wondered if any of you guys had any other suggestions.

The following are some of the ones I liked a little better than others (in order of preference):

Knob Creek

Baker's

Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 Year

Booker's

Anything else I should try?

:lurk:

How do you remember if you liked it or not? :hysterical:

I'm a practiced drinker, during college I downed a liter of gin every Saturday night and went for an early motorcycle trip early Sunday morning, I always felt great.

Drinking a whole bottle of Bookers makes my brain hurt but a bottle of Knob Creek doesn't make me feel too bad. I admit it's better spreading it out over 3-4 days, but when I drink, I REALLY drink. :drop:

I'm a practiced drinker, during college I downed a liter of gin every Saturday night and went for an early motorcycle trip early Sunday morning, I always felt great.

Drinking a whole bottle of Bookers makes my brain hurt but a bottle of Knob Creek doesn't make me feel too bad. I admit it's better spreading it out over 3-4 days, but when I drink, I REALLY drink. :drop:

If I drank a whole bottle of anything in one night, I'd have to have somebody carry me somewhere where I could recover for three days!

I never thought I would consider myself a fan of bourbon, but I've tried some smaller batch versions recently that I liked, and I wondered if any of you guys had any other suggestions.

The following are some of the ones I liked a little better than others (in order of preference):

Knob Creek

Baker's

Booker's

All of these are good Bourbons but the Pappy 20 is a little over priced for what you get. If you don't mind that price range try to find a bottle of Woodford Reserve Sweet Mash, it is outstanding.

I generally stick with Maker's Mark when I'm drinking Bourbon. It was "Small Batch" before everyone else had one.

A few more to look for are Eagle Rare 17yr, Elijah Craig 12yr, Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve, and George T. Stagg. Also Four Roses 120th Anniversary is very good.

Knob Creek

Baker's

Booker's

Woodford Reserve...most small batch bourbons I've tried are decent.

• 3 years later...

Just found this topic again after enjoying a bourbon sampler during dinner...Hirsch, Basil Hayden & Bakers. They were all good but I think I liked them in that order.

Two other favorites are Knob Creek & Woodford Reserve.

I can handle Knob Creek, but I'm a scotch guy. I'll take a glass of Johnny Walker blue anytime over anything else.

Funny you mentioned it, my wife got me a bottle for Valentines Day. Before she bought it, I've been talking to her about trying it but couldn't pull the trigger because of the price. I asked 4 friends to chip in one time but decided to get the one Gold and one Green afterwards because, again, the price. We thought for the price of Blue, we can get one Green and one Gold. I actually like Gold label because of the sweet taste but drink it occasionally. I drink the Green often. As for the Blue, I most likely will never open this bottle and just display it with my other collection.

EDIT

I did not realize this thread is old lol.

Funny you mentioned it, my wife got me a bottle for Valentines Day. Before she bought it, I've been talking to her about trying it but couldn't pull the trigger because of the price. I asked 4 friends to chip in one time but decided to get the one Gold and one Green afterwards because, again, the price. We thought for the price of Blue, we can get one Green and one Gold. I actually like Gold label because of the sweet taste but drink it occasionally. I drink the Green often. As for the Blue, I most likely will never open this bottle and just display it with my other collection.

EDIT

I did not realize this thread is old lol.

You should open and enjoy it. You can always display it at the same time!

You should open and enjoy it. You can always display it at the same time!

But if it is open, it will not be a display for a long time, especially when friends come over. But if they see the bottle sealed, they'll know it is untouchable and just :drool: Oh well, I'll try some day when my friends all decide to chip in for a bottle. Bars here charge $30 a shot :banghead:

• 1 month later...

Maker's Mark is my old standby and Maker's 46 is quite good as well.

Just to keep the old thread revival going... I agree, I like Maker's but I actually like the Kirkland brand from Costco as much as Maker's 46 and you can't beat it for the price

Jack Daniel's does not call itself a bourbon, but in fact is one. Probably no other bourbon goes through the processes that JD does. OK, it is a common name, but it is a very good bourbon. Things don't have to be rare/unheard of/ or "hipper than thou" to be outstanding.

Archived