TEAM SHELBY FORUM

WHEN WILL THE GT500'S FINALLY BE SHIPPED

It was a clone see here....

CLONE

Thanks for the Link zeindog.. Id have to agree with you after seeing those pics..

This one was a little different.. It did have the wheels matched up much better than

the one in your link, and the air extractor wasnt painted and stripped. But the fact the

rear defuser is painted and striped and the brake line is covered over. Id Agree

Most Likely Clone, or they Painted and striped the bottom rear.

Didnt see any Custom Tagging on the Rear or front Windshield.. The Front Air splitter was

black plastic... and not painted and stripped.

Thanks, That is why i was shocked to see one on the road, didnt think it should be driving

around yet. LOL

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me or do others also think it should be against the law to make a GT look identical to a Shelby. It's like trademark infringement. I know customizing cars is a great American pastime but Ford really needs to draw the line on these aftermarket fakes. I'm not a Shelby owner yet but soon will be. We should ban together to press Ford to protect our investments.

Is it just me or do others also think it should be against the law to make a GT look identical to a Shelby. It's like trademark infringement. I know customizing cars is a great American pastime but Ford really needs to draw the line on these aftermarket fakes. I'm not a Shelby owner yet but soon will be. We should ban together to press Ford to protect our investments.

They have been cloning shelbys for over 40 years. In fact, I think there are more clones that actual shelbys out there.

I don't see where any such law could be enforced.

The mere fact there are so many clones out there would indicate to me there are more people that don't have a problem with it then there are than those that do.

I could care less if someone clones there car. Hopefully if they clone it they clone it right instead of a half azz job!

It is only a problem if someone tries to sell a clone and represent it as authentic. Other than that, it is their car and they can do whatever they please with it.

This idea that someone else may blow the doors of a clone that is really a GT and not a real GT500 and then tell their friends how they beat a shelby sounds very childish to me. WHO REALLY CARES!!! When they eventually do meet up with a real shelby thinking they can blow its doors off won't they be in for a big surprise? And if they have one of their friends with them they bragged to about it, won't they look like the fool after they get their doors blown off by a real shelby? LOL

Exactly what would could Ford do to protect your "investment"?

Exactly what would could Ford do to protect your "investment"?

Ford could start charging licensing fees for shops that add the Shelby insignia and name. That will deter it a little. It would all need to start with letters from the Ford attorneys. Nothing personal (ShelbyDude) but Ford should target the shops offering this package and not the individual owners as there would likely be some public relations fallout.

Sure someone may not be trying to sell one of these fakes as authentic but my market value is affected nonetheless. Is a Shelby GT500 as special if 10,000 are produced but yet there are somehow 30,000 driving around on the road. Maybe I have papers with mine but will a potential buyer see it as rare and unique or just one of several other Shelby's (real or fake) already on the road. Personally it bother's me a little bit that I might pay 10-15k more for the Shelby nameplate and someone else sells a retrofit option for half that price. If you want a Shelby you should have to pay for it. If you want to add all the other stuffs i.e. Stripes, rims, spoiler, hood effects, go for it but just don't slap the Shelby nameplate on it. That's my 2 cents.

Ford could start charging licensing fees for shops that add the Shelby insignia and name. That will deter it a little. It would all need to start with letters from the Ford attorneys. Nothing personal (ShelbyDude) but Ford should target the shops offering this package and not the individual owners as there would likely be some public relations fallout.

Sure someone may not be trying to sell one of these fakes as authentic but my market value is affected nonetheless. Is a Shelby GT500 as special if 10,000 are produced but yet there are somehow 30,000 driving around on the road. Maybe I have papers with mine but will a potential buyer see it as rare and unique or just one of several other Shelby's (real or fake) already on the road. Personally it bother's me a little bit that I might pay 10-15k more for the Shelby nameplate and someone else sells a retrofit option for half that price. If you want a Shelby you should have to pay for it. If you want to add all the other stuffs i.e. Stripes, rims, spoiler, hood effects, go for it but just don't slap the Shelby nameplate on it. That's my 2 cents.

It would not affect the value of your Shelby no matter how many clones are made. It has not affected the values of the older shelbys and there are more clones of those than the real thing. Heck, even the clones are bringing big money. That would indicate cloning HELPS the future values.'

For one, you are comparing over all LOOKS and not a complete clone. People cloning are only doing so cosmetically. No one is going to spend more to completely clone a shelby than what you could buy the real one for! The engine alone cost $15k!!! By the time to completely cloned one from the bottom up you will have spent double or triple the cost of buying a new one!

Besides all that, I don't value is something you need to be concerned about. If you haven't noticed the values on these have dropped tremedously! They are dropping in value, not increasing.

"IF", and that is a BIG IF, these cars ever do become valuable it would likely be long after we are all dead! So what difference does it make? Now had they stuck with the original plan of only building 7k per year for two years only, that would have been different. But pumping out 10K+ per year over a 5 - 7 year period I would not count on these having any real value increase over the next 20 - 40 years. Who knows, in 20 years you may not even be able buy gas anywhere to be able to drive the thing. What value will that have???

As had been said hundreds of times already, do NOT buy one for future resale value. Buy it to drive the wheels off of it and enjoy the car!

If you want an investment take your $40k - $50k and go buy 4 or 5 houses with about $10k down on each and rent those out for 30 years. In 30 years the houses will be worth a minimum of 3 - 4 times its current value. That's about $3,000,000 in real estate if you bought 5 $150k houses today. Plus the cash flow and tax write offs you get.

How much could your $50k shelby be worth in 30 years? Assuming best case compared to what the older ones bring, $500K if you are LUCKY???? Doubtful!

And the manufacturers are in business to make money. Not worry about whether a car will become a collector in 30 years. Do you have any idea how much they make off selling all those parts?

Anyhow, I wouldn't worry much about it because with what the cost difference is now it isn't worth spending the money to clone one even just for the cosmetic look. By the time you pay to do that you can just buy the real thing! When these were bringing $20k+ over MSRP that was entirely different. With the current market it isn't worth it. You will see a lot less of people cloning these now. I don't think any dealers are doing it. It cost $8k just to do one. With the GT500 selling well below MSRP now and used one in the $30k's, who in their right mind would spend $8k to clone a regular GT Mustang???

When the GT500 was bringing $55k - $75k and you could clone a new GT Mustang at a total cost of $38k - $40k, that made it more affordable for someone that wanted the look but could not afford the $55k - $75k for the real deal. Now you are talking a matter a only a few grand difference at most. It would be a total waste of money at this point with what the market is doing on these.

A new 2010 GT500 is about $50k. A loaded up GT Mustang is at $40k. Add $8k to clone it and you are at $48k to make a GT Mustang look like a GT500 and you can just buy a real GT500 for $2k more where you get the engine, trans, suspension, and everything else that comes on the real deal!

What we are buying in the first place is a SVT with Shelby on it. If it doesn't go through the Shelby Plant and have Shelby team work done on it is just a SVT Cobra, I Love it anyway, just like I Loved my 2004 SVT Cobra. IMO if you want down the road value do the Super Snake thing or purchase a Shelby GT.

Cobra09

What we are buying in the first place is a SVT with Shelby on it. If it doesn't go through the Shelby Plant and have Shelby team work done on it is just a SVT Cobra, I Love it anyway, just like I Loved my 2004 SVT Cobra. IMO if you want down the road value do the Super Snake thing or purchase a Shelby GT.

Cobra09

The Shelby GT or Supersnake or KR might become collectors but that isn't because they went through SAI, it is only going to be because they are the most LIMITED produced.

Please explain how a car that was touched by EMPLOYEES from one shop VS EMPLOYEES of another makes it any more or less valuable???

Carroll Shelby did not PERSONALLY build any of these. ALL of them were built with his name attached regardless of where or who did it! Carroll Shelby was involved with all of these regardless of where they were built. The only difference in any of this will be based on limited numbers that were produced.

If it had anything to do with just going through SAI as far as collectability and value, then the Shelby GT would have sold for more than the GT500 and people would have paid it just because of that. But the truth is, the Shelby GT did not sell well at all and dealers are taking losses on these even with big rebates on them. They sold good right before they came out and that lasted a couple of months. Once they hit the dealers lots sales dried up and dealers sat on them for a very long time and they are still sitting on them and can't dump them even with $10k off MSRP!

Now in 30 years from now they MIGHT be worth something and IF any of these are going to be worth anything, in my "opinion" it will be the Shelby GT over the GT500, but NOT because they were built at SAI. But ONLY because they made a less than 8k total VS the 50k - 70k GT500's that will end up being made.

Remember the mopars? Same thing happened. They didn't sell well when they were new, but look at them now. They bring some of the biggest money now.

outside the 65 or 66 shelby had little involvment.its why the chicken farmer threw in the towel and went to afrika...get back in 30 years if they have made any money (modern flavors)..hell in 30 years all the old farts will be dead and who knows how well the early ones will be holding value..its anybodys guess...only sure thing is ammo and guns and prostitutes working the streets

outside the 65 or 66 shelby had little involvment.its why the chicken farmer threw in the towel and went to afrika...get back in 30 years if they have made any money (modern flavors)..hell in 30 years all the old farts will be dead and who knows how well the early ones will be holding value..its anybodys guess...only sure thing is ammo and guns and prostitutes working the streets

Never know us old farts might out live you. :happy feet:

Cobra09

Archived