TEAM SHELBY FORUM

home stretch of the resto-mod

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's kinda scary but not much else you can do short of pulling it out and tearing it down. Hopefully it's all on the 'pre-filtered' side of things.

Sorry to hear it's not what you would expect to find in a new motor.

Good luck!

That's kinda scary but not much else you can do short of pulling it out and tearing it down. Hopefully it's all on the 'pre-filtered' side of things.

Sorry to hear it's not what you would expect to find in a new motor.

Good luck!

Yeah man I know it. It's not exactly new however. It's the original 4V-289 block stripped bare, cleaned up, bored out, with all new internals, heads, intake, carb, nuts, and bolts. Everything but the block itself is new. I had all the faith in the world in the machine shop that did the work at the time. I'm really hoping it's nothing, because I can't afford to rip this thing back out to rebuild it!

Ken

It turns out that the shot was from the pan itself, not the engine. A huge relief. They cleaned the pan thoroughly last week and flushed the engine with oil just to be safe.

Luckily the oil pump pickup wasn't installed, so none of the metal circulated out of the bottom of the pan. I dodged a huge bullet.

I ran out to NorCal again today to see what the progress was. Jason was able to fire the engine up for the first time today and it was absolutely jaw dropping. For a first run, it sounded remarkably tuned, which means the carburetor is correctly sized for the application. It was ear piercingly loud and the cam sounded beautiful.

I got one good video of the very first start up. The battery died mid way through that run, so I don't have footage of how it sounds at normal idle (800 RPM's or so).

Even at 2500 RPM, it lopes along pretty nasty. Once the exhaust and Bassani race mufflers are installed this week, it ought to quiet down a bit at idle. Hopefully not too much. ;)

Anyway, I'm still loading the video. Stay tuned.

Ken

DSC07561.jpg

Thanks a lot guys! I didn't think I could be more excited about a car than I was about the Shelby, but the 66 has surprised me a lot. It's been a hell of a project for the last 2 years, a lot of ups and downs, but I'm ecstatic that it's nearing a close.

I'm losing sleep over her this week for sure. Hopefully I'll have some videos of me breaking it in sooner than later.

Ken

When can you give me a ride in that bad boy? Wow, that just sounded awesome.

Anytime Dana! :shift:

I'll definitely be arriving to one of our next Nor-Cal meets in this one sometime. But if you ever want to go for a cruise before that, just drop me a line man!

Ken

Here's the new aluminum driveshaft installed. It was built by Driveline Service of Sacramento. It's a 3 1/2" unit with greaseable zircs at either end.

I only had my phone so the pics aren't the best quality. But this thing really makes the underbody look sharp. Still waiting on the exhaust. I asked Jason to be finished by this Thursday, so that I can drive it up to Thunderhill that night.

Ken

IMG00037-20090807-1255.jpg

IMG00036-20090807-1255.jpg

IMG00035-20090807-1254.jpg

IMG00034-20090807-1254.jpg

Very nice, a job well done enjoy!

wayne

Thanks a lot Wayne! I'm happy to hear your billet door arrived OK. Sorry for the delay man, it's been a crazy couple of weeks. :)

Here's a clip I just took in my garage of the fastback idling:

Ken that is so sweet. Congratulations on a job well done.

I turned up my 5.1 so it sounded like I was taking the video. I miss the fuel smell though.... LOL!

:lol: That cracks me up! Well if you're still planning on hitting the Mustang night at our drag strip tomorrow night, you'll get to smell the fuel too.

My wife is going to follow me in the Shelby (yikes). Pray for the safe roundtrip with my wife behind the wheel of my baby! :hysterical:

• 1 month later...

The 'break in' is over. I passed 500 miles tonight, while cruising up HWY 50, with the windows down, and The Doors jamming on the stereo. :)

There are lots of little issues to address, but I'm happy that I can finally lay into this thing the way I've wanted to for 2 years. Now it's time to replace the fluids with RedLine synthetic oils.

One of the exhaust hangers is broken at the weld, so I'll need to repair that. The passenger door speaker is hissing, after I apparently got some water inside the door while washing it last week. The tie rods are lacking jam nuts, so I need to install those before I destroy my front tires (by losing alignment). Paint repair is next on the list, however. Lots of little scratches and dings that are finally getting covered under warranty. I'll get some photos of the before/after, whenever that happens. All in all, lots of stuff to attend to, but it sure is awesome to be able to fire it up at will and fly down the freeway, rattling the windows of anything that gets in my way. :shift:

Ken

Here is my 70 Fastback I picked up. I have it for sale for 7000 on racingjunk only because things are a little tight but, If I dont get it, she's staying right where shes at. All sheetmetal that was Rusty has already been replaced.

DSC01057.jpg

DSC01059.jpg

More pics here:

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/svttim/1970/

Here is my 70 Fastback I picked up. I have it for sale for 7000 on racingjunk only because things are a little tight but, If I dont get it, she's staying right where shes at. All sheetmetal that was Rusty has already been replaced.

More pics here:

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/svttim/1970/

That's a great looking project car Tim. If I had the dough, I'd jump all over that price. Good luck with the sale.

Ken

That's a great looking project car Tim. If I had the dough, I'd jump all over that price. Good luck with the sale.

Ken

LOL, I hope she sells but, it wont break my heart if it doesnt :hysterical:

I had one call but the guy acted like I was way to high. Anyone care to share thoughts?

I had one call but the guy acted like I was way to high. Anyone care to share thoughts?

Stick to your Sale price. look at post #17 on this thread, I thought of selling it and wont go less than $8500. I have that much into it.

Stick to your guns on that one. The market isn't very friendly right now for classics. If you don't NEED to sell it, don't think about lowering your price. It's a great buy, IMO.

Ken

Archived