TEAM SHELBY FORUM

home stretch of the resto-mod

I towed my 66 fastback to NorCal Motorsports in Sacramento 2 Mondays ago so that they could tie up all the loose ends of my restoration project and finally get this thing on the road.

Anyway, I'll use this thread to catalog the final weeks of the project. There were a few classics in line before me, so they didn't actually get started on mine until today.

They seam sealed the new floor pan edges, cleaned up the underbody, sprayed it with a textured coating, then painted it black. It looks infinitely better than it did 2 weeks ago.

Now they can get the transmission installed and finish running the brake lines. Here's what the underside looked like this afternoon.

Ken

DSC05480.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a shot I grabbed today of the progress. It's moving along a lot slower than I'd like.

The Ring Brothers fender and strut tower bolts are in (just dress up), as are the battery/alternator cables, engine hoses, and some other small parts.

The Holley 650 I picked up doesn't have any provision for the vacuum hose, so it'll have to be run to the back of the intake, just below the carb.

Next up, install the transmission and shifter, get the measurements for the aluminum driveshaft, install new export brace, finish engine and stereo wiring, and on and on...

Ken

DSC05560.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I took these shots on Thursday afternoon, after finding out that my headers and manual rack & pinion steering kit are NOT compatible with the original 4 speed toploader that they just installed.

I was told that I'd need to spend $2k-$3k on a new 5 speed trans. I suggested a hydraulic clutch kit to resolve the interference with the mechanical linkage. So now we're all on the hunt for a kit.

You'll see that the trans and bellhousing are installed, along with the Hedman long tube headers, Pertronix ignition box/digital rev limiter, custom e-brake assembly, and the rest of the stainless steel brake lines/fittings/brackets. I'm very happy with the work itself and the quicker pace. If I can get the clutch issue resolved without having to buy a new transmission, I'll be ecstatic.

The guys at NorCal are telling me 1-2 weeks to get the car running, complete the high priority stuff, and adjust the ride height. After that, I'll still need them to complete the exhaust and install the subframe connectors. Once all of that is done, it's back to the paint shop for some repair work. My wallet and I are getting pretty tired of this project.

Ken

DSC05768.jpg

DSC05769.jpg

DSC05770.jpg

DSC05771.jpg

DSC05772.jpg

DSC05773.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I stopped by the shop this morning to drop off the new TCP monte carlo bar and truss braces for the TCP export brace.

While I was there, I snagged a few photos of some of the recently completed work. It's been painfully slow going lately with this thing.

A 2 week job is turning into a 2 month job pretty quickly.

Ken

Anyway, here are the pics:

1 - billet aluminum Lokar throttle pedal (I had already installed the clutch and brake pedals)

2 - Ford Racing 'Masterpiece Gauge Collection' with the JME brushed aluminum gauge bezel (the dash pad needs to be screwed down above the gauges)

3 - billet throttle pedal support on the firewall inside the engine bay

4 - throttle cable installed

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing more pix.

Thanks a lot man.. It's been killing me lately. It seems like this just goes on forever and ever!

The reason I didn't just finish the last 5% of the work myself is because I was tired of waiting to hear it run... But here I sit a month later.

Ken

Looking forward to hearing it run. Should be a blast to drive.

Me too and I hope so! I've got a good feeling that there will be lots of 'tweaking' and 'adjusting' for the first month or so.

I just hope that I don't end up wanting to rip the thing apart again by this winter. My wife would kill me.

Quick update - I'm still waiting on McLeod to ship my hydraulic throwout bearing to Autoworks International. Once they receive it, they'll ship the entire clutch kit to me.

I'll then run it out to Nor-Cal and they can finally finish this thing up. Everything that's left to be done is on hold, till that hydraulic clutch kit arrives. :waiting:

Ken

Looking very nice. I just picked up a 70 Fastback that i will be starting, hopefully, soon. Gave me some things to think about

Thanks guys!

Tim, I'd love to see some pics of the 70 you picked up, if you get a chance.

Ken

Looking very nice. I just picked up a 70 Fastback that i will be starting, hopefully, soon. Gave me some things to think about

I am also working on a 70 Mach 1. I am at the point to make it either a modified or return it back to stock. Dont know what to do...

Before

ALASKAVacation2008270.jpg

After

mach1003.jpg

mach1001.jpg

mach1008.jpg

ALASKAVacation2008304.jpg

I am also working on a 70 Mach 1. I am at the point to make it either a modified or return it back to stock. Dont know what to do...

Hey Louis, now that's a muscle car! Looking good man. That's a tough call though for sure. I had the same battle over my fastback, only because it's a hard to find A-code, which is the only engine originally equipped with a 4 barrel carb aside from the coveted K-code of course.

In the end, however, I decided to build it my way. There are already some things that I want to change about it, but for the most part, this is the 66 that I want to drive. :)

Good luck with whichever direction you choose. She'll be a beauty either way!

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, the hydraulic clutch kit arrived from Autoworks. Here's a pic of it out of the box. The reservoirs still haven't shipped, but are scheduled to depart Monday.

Regardless, this hydraulic throwout bearing will allow the guys at NorCal MS to wrap up my car once and for all. This has been holding up the entire show.

With this, they can get the transmission and headers back in, get the driveshaft cut/installed, and weld in the Summit x-pipe and Bassani race mufflers.

There's no reason they shouldn't be done by Friday. Hopefully I'll have good news to report by the middle of the week!

Ken

DSC06966.jpg

Ken,

Other than working on the Mach 1, here is my Vert.....I imagine you like the color

That's a very nice blue Louis. :happy feet:

I stopped by NorCal Motorsports today to check on the progress of my 66 and to meet the guy from Gold River to get a quote for the minor paint repair needed.

Well he must have gotten lost because we all waited around for over an hour and he never showed or called. <_<

Regardless of that, it was nice to get a chance to catch up with Gary and Jason. I felt pretty bad that they waited around all night for a dude that never showed up.

Aside from that, I snagged a few photos of the newly corrected ride height. They lopped 1/2 coil off of each front spring and installed lowering blocks to the rear leaf springs.

The exterior appearance is night/day different in a very good way now that it's sitting so much lower. The interior is basically finished. All that's left is for them to button the console down and install the shifter, once they can get the tranny back in. The steering setup and gauges look brilliant, IMO. The engine bay is 99% there also. Just a few last minute touch ups necessary. I'm chomping at the bit to hear them fire her up for the first time.

We're all waiting on Autoworks again. They shipped the hydraulic throwout bearing kit, minus the reservoir (after MONTHS of waiting). I've been told dozens of times that it was 'shipping today'. It's getting pretty irritating. Also, they shipped the wrong sized piston with the kit, so we're waiting on the correct piston to ship directly from McLeod. Once they have that, they can finish the clutch kit, re-install the transmission, wrap up the exhaust, and install the new aluminum driveshaft. They mentioned that if they see the correct piston by Monday, this thing could be done by Friday. :shift:

Ken

DSC07048.jpg

DSC07047.jpg

DSC07046.jpg

DSC07042.jpg

DSC07041.jpg

Ken, that is a thing of beauty for sure!

Thanks Dan! Yesterday was the first time in a long time that I've been happy to see the old fastback.

It's been one issue after the other with this restoration, but I'm finally now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. And it sure is purdy. ;)

Hopefully I'll have some video of it fired up this week. :happy feet:

Ken

Well they tried firing it up today, but had no oil pressure. It turned out that the machine shop forgot to add the oil pump pickup and screen to the pump itself.

After taking the pan off, they found what appeared to be shot peen left over inside of the block. I called the machine shop and they said they don't even have a shot peen machine and that they use acid to clean the block. Now we're all left scratching our heads.

We came to the weary decision that the metal shavings must be left over from when they bored the cylinders out or re-tapped the holes for the main cap threads in the block. They also found gobs and gobs of assembly lube, more than any of us have ever seen used in any engine. The plan now is to flush the hell out of the engine with a whole lot of oil, run it, flush with oil, check the filters for metal, flush with oil, run it again, and flush with oil. I'm crossing my fingers that we're not about to grenade this brand new engine. I'm the one giving the green light on all this, so I'll have no one to blame but myself. :baby:

Ken

HustBrothers331004.jpg

HustBrothers331003.jpg

HustBrothers331002.jpg

HustBrothers331001.jpg

Well they tried firing it up today, but had no oil pressure. It turned out that the machine shop forgot to add the oil pump pickup and screen to the pump itself.

After taking the pan off, they found what appeared to be shot peen left over inside of the block. I called the machine shop and they said they don't even have a shot peen machine and that they use acid to clean the block. Now we're all left scratching our heads.

We came to the weary decision that the metal shavings must be left over from when they bored the cylinders out or re-tapped the holes for the main cap threads in the block. They also found gobs and gobs of assembly lube, more than any of us have ever seen used in any engine. The plan now is to flush the hell out of the engine with a whole lot of oil, run it, flush with oil, check the filters for metal, flush with oil, run it again, and flush with oil. I'm crossing my fingers that we're not about to grenade this brand new engine. I'm the one giving the green light on all this, so I'll have no one to blame but myself. :baby:

Ken

HustBrothers331004.jpg

HustBrothers331003.jpg

HustBrothers331002.jpg

HustBrothers331001.jpg

Archived