TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ram air system _ Homemade

I'm sure some will say it needs to be painted black :talkhand: I came up with this set up it not road tested yet or fan tested. But the end of hose will end up in the front part of filter with insert. I may have to buy a shorter air filter cone to do this. Here are the pics. Had to widen the hole next to ABS system. Also cut into air filter box. Forgot I mounted it behind lower grille

post-18733-1241566607_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1241566661_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1241566720_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1241566788_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1241566868_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1241566946_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1241567014_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1241566607_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1241566661_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1241566720_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1241566788_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1241566868_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1241566946_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1241567014_thumb.jpg

Isn't your wife gonna kill you for cutting up her vaccum cleaner hose like that??!! :lol2: Oh yeah and paint it black! :)

She would if she knew what a vacuum was !!! and she doesn't get the concept of a bucket of water and that stick with the string at the end. :hysterical::hysterical: and I'm not joking :banghead:

I am not done with anything yet its not finished and I don't do sloppy work. That hose is from spectre peformance but you probably use a shop vac hose. But the hose will end up in the tip of air filter. Or it may rip off at 120mph

The hose is too small and too much resistance to flow in that kind of hose. You MIGHT get positive pressure in the hose but not at the speeds the car will ever see under its own power. It's a nice thought though . . . :hide:

I'm sure some will say it needs to be painted black :talkhand: I came up with this set up it not road tested yet or fan tested. But the end of hose will end up in the front part of filter with insert. I may have to buy a shorter air filter cone to do this. Here are the pics. Had to widen the hole next to ABS system. Also cut into air filter box. Forgot I mounted it behind lower grille

Sorry to say that is this isn't going to make a damn bit of difference to the air given the hose coorrugations, the uphill climb of the air stream and the curve(s) in the hose from outside to inside the engine bay. Its like sticking your nostrils out the window.

You would be surprised how much air is already flowing around the air filter....and the temperature of the air going into the filter (IAT) is only 2 to 3 degrees above ambient air temperature (AAT) as measured by the ECU's digital air readout when the car is cruising.

So why do something like this when there is little to no gains to be made?

The hose is too small and too much resistance to flow in that kind of hose. You MIGHT get positive pressure in the hose but not at the speeds the car will ever see under its own power. It's a nice thought though . . . :hide:

Does that go for the ram air hoods ???? if the hose is connected to the air filter at the top the engine will draw whatever air it can from the hose. Every bit helps since the car isn't getting that much cold air up there. I fan tested it with a regular fan up on the grille and got flow. I trying to get a industrial fan or floor blower to see the affect. Thanks for info my Engineer friend your safe for now :hysterical::censored:

They should change the name of C.A.I to hot air intake next, I'm cutting the scoop open and under the hood get some fresh air in there

I agree with you that most "cold air kits" are just hot air induction systems. Even with the ram air hood on my KR I'm not sure how well sealed or how helpful it is.

I check my seal by yellow grease chalk slam hood and see whats not sealing also I put foam insulation around the open gaps and on my BMW. Then use sheet metal and extended the box to block some the radiator heat. I know there's an headlight ram air but what good is that on the street at night. That crappy scoop should have been made functional and either I cut it up or just put a decent ram air hood with big heat extractors. Anyway, I have nothing better to do since being retired and it's better than change my daughters crap diaper. Next strengthen my chassis my way. :headscratch:

Sorry to say that is this isn't going to make a damn bit of difference to the air given the hose coorrugations, the uphill climb of the air stream and the curve(s) in the hose from outside to inside the engine bay. Its like sticking your nostrils out the window.

You would be surprised how much air is already flowing around the air filter....and the temperature of the air going into the filter (IAT) is only 2 to 3 degrees above ambient air temperature (AAT) as measured by the ECU's digital air readout when the car is cruising.

So why do something like this when there is little to no gains to be made?

Cause, I can and as said before better than changing diapers !!! You that and the ambient temp around my babys diaper 2 to 3 degrees below so I'll stick to screwing around with my car. But the point you also missed here is thinking something up and fabricating it and didn't you ever play dress up with your dolls. I miss those days :drool: But thank you for the knowledge I guess those 2 yrs of auto mechanic school and 8yrs working for ford and 3yrs as an Auto tech for the F.B.I. Ask why everyone puts pulleys in there cars or shorty headers or different mufflers. They do it because you add those up and they amount to something and it makes them happy :dance::salute:

post-18733-1241587601_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1241587601_thumb.jpg

Cause, I can and as said before better than changing diapers !!! You that and the ambient temp around my babys diaper 2 to 3 degrees below so I'll stick to screwing around with my car. But the point you also missed here is thinking something up and fabricating it and didn't you ever play dress up with your dolls. I miss those days :drool: But thank you for the knowledge I guess those 2 yrs of auto mechanic school and 8yrs working for ford and 3yrs as an Auto tech for the F.B.I. Ask why everyone puts pulleys in there cars or shorty headers or different mufflers. They do it because you add those up and they amount to something and it makes them happy :dance::salute:

If the small corruated hoses used for the Shelby brake ducts help direct cool air to the brakes, this larger hose should have even less resistance and can't hurt. NASCAR also uses corrugated hoses for their brake packages too. (4 mechancial engineering degrees, 30 years experience in fluid dynamics, 2 babies with lots of diapers!). Hey, keep it up and carry on the innovative spirit of Carroll Shelby! :happy feet:

If the small corruated hoses used for the Shelby brake ducts help direct cool air to the brakes, this larger hose should have even less resistance and can't hurt. NASCAR also uses corrugated hoses for their brake packages too. (4 mechancial engineering degrees, 30 years experience in fluid dynamics, 2 babies with lots of diapers!). Hey, keep it up and carry on the innovative spirit of Carroll Shelby! :happy feet:

Thanks for the support, I made this up to experiment since there are no lower ram air systems for are cars and to share the idea with people on this site and maybe make something that really would work as it goes there's alway one smart guy shooting down the ideas that made this world what it is he probably tell einstien he's crazy or Mr. Franklin light bulb is insane. Iwill test it today with a outside hose inserted in the inverted cone and see how much draw from the motor alone. Then with the industrial fan in front of car fail or suceed it was fun and made someone this site to make one better and I can buy it from him. Also isn't a good thing, I'm fabricating my car than fabricating a DOOMS DAY BOMB !! :drool::angry22::rant2:. like some other crazy's ( i know im one of them but meds are working for now). Next my own chassis brace.

BTW, I can't fabricate crap and admire those who can! :D

BTW, I can't fabricate crap and admire those who can! :D

If you get any good ideas let me know thats how people get rich think up something even stupid and someone will buy it. I sold my old house before being married, I bought for 195,000 all that was done by me was painted and up graded the bathroom with new sinks and shower doors. I rip the kitchen apart and left it that way and put it on the market the realestate company said it will never sell for 349,000 one year later full price. They couldn't wait to move in made me leave in less than a month the same if you sell a car dress it up and someone will buy it for full price or even an outragous price. Isn't America great !!!!! :happy feet:

Racer - There are some brain cells missing are there not? I know you are trying to be theory driven but some of your sentences, well, are a bit off the mark. But I say to each there own and the best to you so rip that thing apart and make a better car we'll all be waiting to see if you or someone comes up with something better. Hey maybe Shelby will look at the baby diaper stuff and the temperature surrounding the dirty ones, you might have something there! :hysterical:

Swede

Racer - There are some brain cells missing are there not? I know you are trying to be theory driven but some of your sentences, well, are a bit off the mark. But I say to each there own and the best to you so rip that thing apart and make a better car we'll all be waiting to see if you or someone comes up with something better. Hey maybe Shelby will look at the baby diaper stuff and the temperature surrounding the dirty ones, you might have something there! :hysterical:

Swede

Sorry Sweety, I might be a bit off and didn't go to college and get fancy degree's and speak with big words and that goes to the other fine people on this site. But remember this, I sitting home playing with my car and traveling while collecting 3x's my salary not dealing with any work stress at 41. I must have done something right not bad for an under educated simpleton like myself. That's why, I love this site hanging with over achievers like some of you guy's. Oh by the way if the earth ended tomorrow, I still get paid !! Once again GOD BLESS AMERICA and have fun at work tomorrow guy's if it's there. Maybe we can all hang meet up one day and exchange are knowledge and point out my errors face to face. Maybe it will sink in then behind this computer makes it so impersonal. I'll post my next project installing heat extractors to my hood any theory on that swedy. Please free to help me out with my sentences maybe you can invite me over for a cup of tea and crumps. :hysterical::hysterical3:

Have a great day critics

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt".

-- Benjamin Edison

(EDIT: AAACK! Misfire on the smiley!)

Whats you saying me smart man like a box of jelly beans :jackinbox: :jackinbox: me ride short yellow bus :drool:

Michael Jackson

Go find someone who'll dyno for you before and after..... It'll give your efforts more "scientific" credibility....

I would but there's only one dyno shop by me and didn't hear anything about them and place always looks dead. If anyone knows of one that's knows what they are please feel free to give me info.

Reino - Every dog knows it name- Now that is priceless my friend!

Sweddy come out come out where ever you are !!!! Woof Woof You must be studying for your next promotion as a HEAD DETAILER :salute: always buff it hard make it shine. :hysterical:

I did a similar mod to my F250 based off a poor man's ram air technique called a zoodad mod by the guy who invented it on the diesel forums. It worked pretty good until I saw that the air filter had gotten a lot of leaves and bugs in there. I then put a screen over the intake hole using "gutter guard" for home rain gutters. I later put everything back to stock after even having the screen, because the Seattle rain was making my air filter soggy. My intake was behind the grille, head on. Isn't there an intake for the Kenne Belle S/C that takes air from the undercarriage as well?

I did a similar mod to my F250 based off a poor man's ram air technique called a zoodad mod by the guy who invented it on the diesel forums. It worked pretty good until I saw that the air filter had gotten a lot of leaves and bugs in there. I then put a screen over the intake hole using "gutter guard" for home rain gutters. I later put everything back to stock after even having the screen, because the Seattle rain was making my air filter soggy. My intake was behind the grille, head on. Isn't there an intake for the Kenne Belle S/C that takes air from the undercarriage as well?

Thank for the info will look into kenne belle, I'll probably keep it on till I find a ram hood thats fits my taste. I got a feeling this thing will rip off at 80mph or better. Some to keep me busy and I like fabricating thing But, I am going to seal the box off as baest possible from heat air and cut open the hood scoop and under it for cool air. I will try to make a flap in the scoop to open it and close from inside the car just to see if I can pull it off.

Caio

Archived