TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 Shelby GT500 the last American Muscle Car?

ISAID

I think I agree. Newer electric cars could have much better performance than what is out there today, in HP, balance and handling (man, a can't believe I'm saying this) but it's the roar that will be missing. They will be muscle cars without the roar. And what what will the mods be? Bigger wires and gearing instead of better exhaust and superchargers? It still hard to believe that this could happen

I just don't think to many people are taking in consideration the US power grid. What's going to happen on a hot night when everyone has there A/Cs running and all the lights on and people start pluggin in the cars to charge them at night. And you may not have a gasoline bill, but how much is you electric bill going to be?

Some very astute coments by the TS group--by the way, estimates of electricity bills just from the impact of the crazy cap and trade legiaslation that BHO has asked for is 50% increase if you get power from coal,30% increase for oil.Being a power engineer, i agree with the power grid comment, ==we dont need a smart grid,we need a bigger grid,really a doubling of capacity to handle electric cars.And for what,global warming-i wont get into that issue here.

The thing i worry about is the government putting controls on the gasoline produced and limiting the octane we all need for high compression,supercharged engines.Menawhile,im going to drive the heck out of my 2010 ,whenever i get it

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are very far from driving electric cars other than a few random ones like from Tesla.

None of us will be around to see it, and I am still in my 20s

I think some of you drank the coolaid

Performance cars in general are not going any where, and if so they will be back very soon.

But I am an optimist

Not to split hairs on this, but I think we are near the end of the last "Muscle Car" era, but there will always be high performance offerings.....

People demand performance and will get it

Some very astute coments by the TS group--by the way, estimates of electricity bills just from the impact of the crazy cap and trade legiaslation that BHO has asked for is 50% increase if you get power from coal,30% increase for oil.Being a power engineer, i agree with the power grid comment, ==we dont need a smart grid,we need a bigger grid,really a doubling of capacity to handle electric cars.And for what,global warming-i wont get into that issue here.

The thing i worry about is the government putting controls on the gasoline produced and limiting the octane we all need for high compression,supercharged engines.Menawhile,im going to drive the heck out of my 2010 ,whenever i get it

I never thought of that aspect (I like the inside of the box). But yes, at some point we're going to have to pay, whether it's more for gas, or more for electric. Hopefully we can continue to have the ability to think ahead, especially when alternative powered cars are becoming more of a demand (even if inadvertently).

Well... we got ours!! I'm still behind times and mad (and waiting) for gas prices to go up this summer. I just don't understand the nature of the beast, sometimes :shrug:

Is your daily driver a 335i BMW ? If so how do you like it? I have been looking @ one for a daily driver. 6 speed auto or manual?

How does the low end power feel and expressway passing without downshifting. Top gear 60mph to 90mph ?

Friday am going to the Mitty @ Road Atlanta . Talk about V/8 thunder WOW. What else can you do when your retired ?

Actually my daily driver is a 2001 Audi S4 with a 6 speed manual. In stock form, it has a twin turbo, 2.7 litre, 250hp and 260lb/ft for torque, which may not seem much, but was enough for a 0-60 in around 5.5sec. The nice thing with this engine is that you could have a simple ECU reprogram and boost power to around 320hp and torque to 375lb/ft. Unfortunately, in the subsequent generation of the S4, Audi dumped that engine...for a V8! The V8 was a bit heavier, not much quicker than the turbo 6, but much more thirsty. The next generation S4, coming this fall, will go back to a V6 engine, this time with a Eaton TVS supercharger. It will make about the same power as the V8.

As far as the BMW 335i, I'm pretty sure that the engine torque characteristics are the same as my Audi, only better, as this is a more modern and more powerful engine in stock form. I'm not as familiar with BMW mods, but I'm pretty sure that, as all turbo engines, you can extract more power than the standard 300HP rating.

Let's face it, politicians regardless of party and corporate executives don't always make the best decisions. With current gas prices and environmental concerns, I think it is highly likely that we may see another cycle like we had in the 70's with the fabulous, 4 cylinder, Mustang II. Muscle cars in some form or another will never disappear, they just may not be so popular for the next few years so nobody big will make them. That's why I ordered a 2010 GT500. There will surely be a 2011 model because of the investment Ford made in the new developments on the car and the tooling. But some sort of high mileage 'stang is probably somewhere in the works.

And I don't have any problems with electrics. Sure they can perform like mad. Instant full power, instant acceleration. But I don't think they're the answer either for the reasons already posted here. That electricity has to come from somewhere. Also, I read an interesting article that looked at the long term environmental impact of a bunch of cars and it turns out that a Hummer is greener than the current hybrids. When you're done mangling the environment off-road in your Hummer, you can recycle just about every bit of it. With a hyrbid, you're stuck with a ton of lithium ion batteries with a low scrap value that end up in landfills.

Hydrogen is the way to go. Imagine an 8 cylinder hydrogen exploding internal combustion engine that spits steam and water out huge exhaust pipes. Maybe that's the future of muscle cars.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we are going to see the end of the "2nd Muscle Car Era" in the next 5 years (at least as it looks right now). I think the federal government will pass such strick Fleet MPG laws by averaging it over the entire production. Forcing Ford to make (and sell) 1500 Focus cars just to make 1 GT500 or maybe forcing GM to produce 1500 Chevy Volts to make one Vette. Turning all high HP cars into a very limited edition product, and eventually maybe somewhat extinct.

But that may create bigger openings in the market for post-title modification companies.

I think we are going to see the end of the "2nd Muscle Car Era" in the next 5 years (at least as it looks right now). I think the federal government will pass such strick Fleet MPG laws by averaging it over the entire production. Forcing Ford to make (and sell) 1500 Focus cars just to make 1 GT500 or maybe forcing GM to produce 1500 Chevy Volts to make one Vette. Turning all high HP cars into a very limited edition product, and eventually maybe somewhat extinct.

But that may create bigger openings in the market for post-title modification companies.

I agree I think that "We The People" are not going to have any say in what type of vehicles are produced. The Government is going to determine what type of "GREEN" vehicles are produced and the manufactures will have to comply. This Global Warming crap and going "Green" crap is the biggest hoax ever. I don't care if gas goes to $15.00 a gallon I am going to drive the crap out of my 2010SGT. :peelout: It may cost a lot of green but I am definitely going to keep my part of globe real warm!

I think the average person see's the Challenger and says that's why Chrysler is going out of business. They think the co's living in the past. 4000 lb's with a big ohv V/8 that's the size of a 1993 Ford ltd sedan. . I think the public won't allow it for to long.The Mustang has a HUGH fan base, but will need the ecotec V/6 direct twin turbo for it's future muscle cars. The dohc V/8 will only live in the exotic sports cars of the future.

I have been looking @ the new Camaro on E-bay and the interior is really "WOW UGLY" . What were they thinking ! The side profile looks like a Challenger.

I'm glad, :happy feet: I will have my car in a couple of weeks Sterling Grey/Silver Striping what a great car to have. It will be one of a few that color and maybe one of the last years that the American Muscle Car was built. :shift: :burnout: :victory:

I'm glad, :happy feet: I will have my car in a couple of weeks Sterling Grey/Silver Striping what a great car to have. It will be one of a few that color and maybe one of the last years that the American Muscle Car was built. :shift: :burnout: :victory:

The new Mustang looks great in that color. The interior is really top notch in the 2010. Post some pictures when you get the beauty.

The new Mustang looks great in that color. The interior is really top notch in the 2010. Post some pictures when you get the beauty.

I will as soon as I get it. I'M getting more exicted each day that passes by. It's Like being a 4 year old on Christmas Morning.

Next year will be to late for the Camaro, Vette, Viper, Charger, Challenger they are history, If Ford can stay out of the bailout business they will have a shot at still producing some type of Muscle Car. Yesterday the Obama administration mandated 39 MPG by 2016 that is only six short years from now.

4 cylinder Muscle Cars that look like a match box are not very appealing to me how about you guys?

Next year will be to late for the Camaro, Vette, Viper, Charger, Challenger they are history, If Ford can stay out of the bailout business they will have a shot at still producing some type of Muscle Car. Yesterday the Obama administration mandated 39 MPG by 2016 that is only six short years from now.

4 cylinder Muscle Cars that look like a match box are not very appealing to me how about you guys?

Looks like it's 35.5 by 2016. Not that it's a big difference though. Hello 1970's vehicles all over again...

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-gener...US.Obama.Autos/

Some things that are not clear though...

1. Is it every vehicle in the auto manuf fleet offering to the US?

2. Is it an average of all vehicles the auto manuf offers in the US?

3. Are certain vehicles exempt with a gas tax or other "waiver" (ie. performance cars like the corvette and muscle cars that could never meet 35.5 and produce high power)

The Vette still does not meet the criteria. Any vehicle below the requirements will be hit with a special gas gzzler tax and then we will end up being given a weekly or monthly fuel allotment. Not a pretty picture people telling us how much fuel we can burn and limiting are abilty to travel to work or for pleasure. Anty up the games is own!!! :angry2: :angry2:

Be happy you got your Shelby cause they can't take it away. Plus they made enough of them. Bring on the future hot cars of tomorrow, what ever that might be. Really:who needs a Camaro that's the size of a Ford LTD and a v/8 design from the 50's. Surely are engineers can do better than this .

I am really tired of the Vette scene also.

Yea Me To! I have never been a vette fan, they are fast and nice but the last several years they are to foriegn looking. Old days gone a new ERA is upon us. We can shape the future if we stand up and speak up. I am so over the global warming crap and going green crap. I was thinking about putting " GO GREEN" on my new Shelby GT 500 TAG. :yahoo:

Great Post! The future looks pretty glim for those of us who love muscle cars. No more First Drive tire smoking videos to get excited about. :cry: I truly believe we are in the Last year or two of The American Muscle Car era. If you don't have a Muscle Car and you want one now is the time, it maybe to late next year.

Great Post! The future looks pretty glim for those of us who love muscle cars. No more First Drive tire smoking videos to get excited about. :cry: I truly believe we are in the Last year or two of The American Muscle Car era. If you don't have a Muscle Car and you want one now is the time, it maybe to late next year.

Wow! You guys actually believe this crap? The only people who can kill off the muscle car is the public. As long as people buy them there will be someone making them. I know we have a lot of hard right people who spend way too much time getting their news from right wing sources but c'mon the sky is not falling! Technology will improve and fuel economy will increase across all models.

If you don't have a Muscle Car and you want one now is the time, it maybe to late next year.

Where have I heard that before???????????

Oh ya, at your local Ford Dealer..........Great Sales Pitch??????????? :hysterical:

Wow! You guys actually believe this crap? The only people who can kill off the muscle car is the public. As long as people buy them there will be someone making them. I know we have a lot of hard right people who spend way too much time getting their news from right wing sources but c'mon the sky is not falling! Technology will improve and fuel economy will increase across all models.

Revenge- you better wake-up before it is to late. If you think Obama is going to let 12 and 14 MPG cars to continue to be produced your are sadly mistaken. If you think the public determines the future of the muscle car I guess you believe the public agreed to the bailout of GM & Chrysler, the banks, the insurance companies, and of course closing Gitmo. HA!HA!HA! BULL :censored: S :censored: T.

Archived