TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 Shelby GT500 the last American Muscle Car?

ISAID

With Bankruptcy of Chrysler, and GM eliminating Pontiac, the Z28 and probably the Corvette and with the enormous pressure from the Obama Administration to meet MPG requirements and alternative fuel Hybrids is the 2010 Shelby GT500 going to be the last American Muscle Car Produced? Chime in and lets get your thoughts. :cry::lurk::headscratch:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With Bankruptcy of Chrysler, and GM eliminating Pontiac, the Z28 and probably the Corvette and with the enormous pressure from the Obama Administration to meet MPG requirements and alternative fuel Hybrids is the 2010 Shelby GT500 going to be the last American Muscle Car Produced? Chime in and lets get your thoughts. :cry::lurk::headscratch:

if the government stops GM from making muscle cars and chrysler folds, the government will put restrictions on ford from producing

V8 cars. i don't think the consumer will have much say in the matter. :cry: byby gt500 :cry::lastyear:

I agree, I feel sure muscle cars from GM and Chrysler (Dodge) are history. Ford is going to be pressure so much from the "Car Zar" that a V-6 with 35 mpg is all you will be able to get. I wonder how after market upgrades will be affected? :blink:

I agree, I feel sure muscle cars from GM and Chrysler (Dodge) are history. Ford is going to be pressure so much from the "Car Zar" that a V-6 with 35 mpg is all you will be able to get. I wonder how after market upgrades will be affected? :blink:

[/quot

Ford is already headed in this direction, Hybrids, Transit connect and smaller cars are on the way!

This is another reason I jumped at the chance to get my KR. I had been dreaming of one since the original, and just came to realize that with the way things are going, no one will be making cars like this anymore. All of us here are very lucky and probably the last to see good old American Muscle.

I wonder now if I should trade my 05GT on 2010 GT 500 or just keep both of them. It really is sad that the things that have made America great and unique from every other country in the world are slowly but surely passing away. The exictement we all had the first time we drove a muscle car, our children and granchildren may never get to experience. I guess next will be allotted 20 gallons of 87 octane per week per household, no more 93.

This is another reason I jumped at the chance to get my KR. I had been dreaming of one since the original, and just came to realize that with the way things are going, no one will be making cars like this anymore. All of us here are very lucky and probably the last to see good old American Muscle.

It sure looks that way . Even in the 60's nothing came close to current GT500 or KR, maybe a 427 Cobra! We were lucky to have this short period of muscle cars. The old muscle cars are not even fun to drive anymore.

But who knows maybe a electric muscle car in the future. I have heard that 0 to 60 could be in the 12's . These things don't rev like a gas engine , it's like turning on an electric power tool.

This would be really unfortunate if they discontinued muscle cars... Who knows though, really... The automakers went through hard times before (hence the four-banger Mustangs, etc), and they're back to producing more powerful cars than ever. If they do go through a slump... hopefully there will be a comeback. However, I suppose that if stricter emission laws are put in place, THAT would prevent a comeback.

I guess that's what we're really talking about huh.

This would be really unfortunate if they discontinued muscle cars... Who knows though, really... The automakers went through hard times before (hence the four-banger Mustangs, etc), and they're back to producing more powerful cars than ever. If they do go through a slump... hopefully there will be a comeback. However, I suppose that if stricter emission laws are put in place, THAT would prevent a comeback.

I guess that's what we're really talking about huh.

generally agree--GM bean counters tried to kill the vette afetr the C-4,but they realized they needed it for branding,so they developed the C-5, now the C-6. My C-6 gets 27mpg on highway,honest, it only weighs 3200 lbs.There will always be a market for small prodcution high-performance cars,as long as they dont become illegal, so the V-8 may go away.But look at the HP they get out of a 4 cylinder in F1,and the Lotus as well.But the vette wont be going away as long as there are performance cars coming in from all the labels.BTW the 1st vette was a 6.As a purist,it should be ponited out muscle cars were defined as at least 2 rows of seats,so vettes arent inlcuded.Im getting my red Gt500 ragtop hopefull in june, current parduction date is June 1, and I agree it may be the last true muscle car.

We'll have to see what 2011 brings in regard to the Corvette. 2010 model options were just announced last week in Bowling Green. Chevy even announces the return of the Grand Sport model which will be marketed between the base and Z06 corvettes. That brings four models to the line up: base, GS, Z06, and ZR1.

generally agree--GM bean counters tried to kill the vette afetr the C-4,but they realized they needed it for branding,so they developed the C-5, now the C-6. My C-6 gets 27mpg on highway,honest, it only weighs 3200 lbs.There will always be a market for small prodcution high-performance cars,as long as they dont become illegal, so the V-8 may go away.But look at the HP they get out of a 4 cylinder in F1,and the Lotus as well.But the vette wont be going away as long as there are performance cars coming in from all the labels.BTW the 1st vette was a 6.As a purist,it should be ponited out muscle cars were defined as at least 2 rows of seats,so vettes arent inlcuded.Im getting my red Gt500 ragtop hopefull in june, current parduction date is June 1, and I agree it may be the last true muscle car.

Heyyy good for you! So why the GT500 and not another 'Vette? Ha-ha, thought I'd ask :lurk:

The differences in horsepower is becoming more comparative lately... for example a V6 producing 300hp, where the current Mustang GT produces 315hp out of its 4.6L V8...

Heyyy good for you! So why the GT500 and not another 'Vette? Ha-ha, thought I'd ask :lurk:

The differences in horsepower is becoming more comparative lately... for example a V6 producing 300hp, where the current Mustang GT produces 315hp out of its 4.6L V8...

Yeah, but not the TORQUE!!

Our muscle-car futures are now in the hands of environmentalists & liberals. It's really a shame, because as few cars like these as there are, they do a mere fraction of a % of environmental and resource harm, if any.

Yeah, but not the TORQUE!!

Our muscle-car futures are now in the hands of environmentalists & liberals. It's really a shame, because as few cars like these as there are, they do a mere fraction of a % of environmental and resource harm, if any.

Keep the politics out of this and lets go the turbo route for torque on small engines. I know alot of dems that go to sports car races. They just don't care for Nascar .

Keep the politics out of this and lets go the turbo route for torque on small engines. I know alot of dems that go to sports car races. They just don't care for Nascar .

That's what they did in the 70's. Hey, we may see a turbo-fed direct injection V6... I wouldn't put it out of the picture!! Chevrolet already is getting V8 power out of the Camaro, but yesss, minus the torque.

Minus the torque and the the thunder of the V8 exhaust :yup: . The sound of a true muscle car not a rice burner. :stirpot:

I agree that the sound of a V8 may be very hard to reproduce with a V6. However as far as torque is concerned, several turbo V6s have torque characteristics that are on par with much bigger V8s. Besides, turbo lag is no longer an issue in most modern turbo cars. The Ford Ecoboost V6 that will soon appear in the SHO and Lincoln MKS will have significant low end torque, as does the current 3 liter twin turbo used by BMW in the 335. My daily driver has a twin turbo V6 and peak torque is at 1850 rpm, which is quite low, even by V8 standard.

No doubt now that the government has taken control V8 is on the way out. Not that I bought my car for future value these cars are a part of history and in the future they will be looked upon as the last American Muscle Car Im glad at least I own and enjoy my Shelby

I don't get the electric car dis...they have enormous torque. Instant 100% torque throttle response.

The Tesla Roadster does 0-60 in like 3 seconds. Electric cars will surpass V8s by far in performance - it won't even be close. You'll have an electric motor at every wheel with 500 lbs of torque each. These things will fly faster than anything on the road today. So don't dis the electric car on performance - we just haven't seen what the end result will be.

Look at what happened with the V8 itself - the first gas crisis produced a Corvette with a 350ci that had like 140hp. Over the years thru improved engineering - I now have a 331ci V8 that has over 700hp - and gets 20mpg. Simply amazing.

Just give these guys some time to get the battery situation solved. The cars will have better weight balance, better range, better performance all the way around. The downside - it won't have the pavement-pounding throaty V8 sound we all love. That will be soarly missed indeed. They will sound like a Hamilton Beach blender. Get used to it.

I agree that the sound of a V8 may be very hard to reproduce with a V6. However as far as torque is concerned, several turbo V6s have torque characteristics that are on par with much bigger V8s. Besides, turbo lag is no longer an issue in most modern turbo cars. The Ford Ecoboost V6 that will soon appear in the SHO and Lincoln MKS will have significant low end torque, as does the current 3 liter twin turbo used by BMW in the 335. My daily driver has a twin turbo V6 and peak torque is at 1850 rpm, which is quite low, even by V8 standard.

Is your daily driver a 335i BMW ? If so how do you like it? I have been looking @ one for a daily driver. 6 speed auto or manual?

How does the low end power feel and expressway passing without downshifting. Top gear 60mph to 90mph ?

Friday am going to the Mitty @ Road Atlanta . Talk about V/8 thunder WOW. What else can you do when your retired ?

I actually could buy a nw vette ragtop for less than the GT500, but the issue for the vette is its so small inside.Im 6-4,220, and my kness hit the dash on the passeneger side) the vette is my wifes.Ive always liked the Stang,and actually reneted a Hettz Shelby back in the day,and always liked them.When i sat in the passenger seat,i had a good 5 inches of knee room.I know its a silly reason,but does the term "cognitive dissonance" apply here.Plus I like a 6 spd.Ill tell you what though, if the Shelby put a 6 spd paddle shifter in like the vette has, it'd be a killer car,and more folks would consider it.

What if 2010 Shelby is the last "TRUE" American Muscle Car with a V-8 and 500 plus HP manufactuered, what will it be worth in 20 years? :lastyear: Again I say the VIPER, VETTE,CAMARO CHALLENGER, CHARGER are history their done and over the Government is not going to allow them to manufacture these vehicles in anything but 4 or 6 cyl. with 30 to 35 mpg requirements. Ford eventhough no bailout yet will be pressured into building the same type of products. Does this make the KR'S that are going at MSRP a really good investment and what about the P-51B's that are still on dealer show room floors? :spend:

I highly doubt modern day muscle cars (ie GT500) are going anywhere. You have to remember that the 35 MPG does not mean that each car has to get 35mpg, it is a fleet average. The GT500 can keep getting 20mpg just as long as ford develops cars such as the new fusion hybrid and so on that get 40+mpg which would raise their average. The CAFE average is dependant on percentage of sales too, so if they sell more high mpg vehicles than low mpg vehicles their average would be even greater.

I highly doubt modern day muscle cars (ie GT500) are going anywhere. You have to remember that the 35 MPG does not mean that each car has to get 35mpg, it is a fleet average. The GT500 can keep getting 20mpg just as long as ford develops cars such as the new fusion hybrid and so on that get 40+mpg which would raise their average. The CAFE average is dependant on percentage of sales too, so if they sell more high mpg vehicles than low mpg vehicles their average would be even greater.

That's true now, but those rules will change dramatically.

I agree :yup:

...And Ford is in a good position to prevail; they have the new Fusion Hybrid (beats Hybrid Camry's MPG), an SHO presents a fun ride for the 4-door set, and has MPG Champs like the Fiesta (and perhaps the Ka) coming from Europe. Thank God for the guy from Boeing!

I'd like to see Saleen run the "continuation" of the Dodge Challenger. I can't imagine what Fiat would do with it? They know nothing about American Muscle.

I can only hope GM can bring the Camero SS to market while the next gen Corvette is stalled.

I don't get the electric car dis...they have enormous torque. Instant 100% torque throttle response.

The Tesla Roadster does 0-60 in like 3 seconds. Electric cars will surpass V8s by far in performance - it won't even be close. You'll have an electric motor at every wheel with 500 lbs of torque each. These things will fly faster than anything on the road today. So don't dis the electric car on performance - we just haven't seen what the end result will be.

Look at what happened with the V8 itself - the first gas crisis produced a Corvette with a 350ci that had like 140hp. Over the years thru improved engineering - I now have a 331ci V8 that has over 700hp - and gets 20mpg. Simply amazing.

Just give these guys some time to get the battery situation solved. The cars will have better weight balance, better range, better performance all the way around. The downside - it won't have the pavement-pounding throaty V8 sound we all love. That will be soarly missed indeed. They will sound like a Hamilton Beach blender. Get used to it.

I think I agree. Newer electric cars could have much better performance than what is out there today, in HP, balance and handling (man, a can't believe I'm saying this) but it's the roar that will be missing. They will be muscle cars without the roar. And what what will the mods be? Bigger wires and gearing instead of better exhaust and superchargers? It still hard to believe that this could happen

I just don't think to many people are taking in consideration the US power grid. What's going to happen on a hot night when everyone has there A/Cs running and all the lights on and people start pluggin in the cars to charge them at night. And you may not have a gasoline bill, but how much is you electric bill going to be?

Archived