TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My intro, and are there other orginal owners out there?

G-Man

Hi, It's Gerry. Some of you know me, some don't. I probably have the most original collection of Shelby Dodges (and some Ford Mustangs). I bought most of them new and kept them all. In fact all the cars inside my house with the memorabilia. I love these cars, and they were way ahead of their time! I would like to hear from anyone else who bought a Shelby Dodge car or truck new and has kept it. I will be at the Chrysler Carlisle show also. And...I need a VNT INTERCOOLED decal for the hood bulge in color light quartz for the driver side of the hood! Must be NOS! Just finished a cosmetic resto on a '90 VNT Daytona Shelby. Let me know if anyone has one!

Well, I finally signed up for this site. Hope to hear from other Shelby Dodge fanatics. Thanks Mr. Shelby for offering up this cool place!

Gerry, owner and keeper of:

'84 Ford Mustang SVO, bought new, silver, 8162 miles

'84 Ford Mustang SVO, Detroit Grand Prix Pace Car, 9975 miles, grey

'85.5 Mustang SVO, comp prep model, 1 of 10, red, 548 miles

'86 Mustang SVO, last one built, unprepped, three miles, red, leather

'95 Mustang Cobra R, bought new, 5 miles, unprepped

'99 Saleen Mustang, S351, silver Speedster, 7406 miles

'00 Saleen Mustang, S281, custom speedlab yellow paint, spyder option

'03 Mustang Mach1, azure blue, bought new, 30 miles, unprepped

'87 Shelber Charger GLH-S, #995, bought new, 5210 miles

'87 Shelby Shadow CSX, #305, bought new, 8300 miles

'89 Shadow CSX-VNT, bought new, 1 0f 15, 50 series tires, Recaro seats, #138, 773 miles

'90 Daytona Shelby VNT, 1 of 536, white/maroon interior, louvers

'92 Daytona Shelby/IROC, one of 230, red, stick, sunroof, 2.5 Turbo I, Chrysler executive car

'93 Daytona IROC/RT, last one made, bought new, green, nine miles, unprepped

'86 Porsche 944 Turbo, red, black interior, 18,000 miles

Daily driver? '03 SVT Focus, Euro package, or my Cannondale bicycle!

Hello and welcome! Wow, nice collection! I was unable to buy my Charger, Charger GLHS or Dakota when they were new since I was only in Junior high. But, I did buy my Roush Mustang new. Both, my 86 Shelby Charger and 87 Charger GLHS came from western Pennsylvania. I got my 86 Shelby Charger while in high school and still have it. Where in PA? are you located?

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Gerry - welcome.

I'm the original owner of an '85 Dodge Omni GLHT in Santa Fe Springs Blue.

Bought it for $10K OTD on the 5yr/50,0000 mile/5% interest promotion that Iacoca was touting.

Also have 1986 GLHS #463, an Shelby Charger, and 2.2 Maserati engined '83 Rampage.

Hello Gerry,

I do own a recently purchased new CSX-VNT (65 miles on the car). Was stored in a warehouse for the last twenty years. Bought on certificate of origin that was issued buy the Shelby Whittier factory. Was planning to not drive it much to promote better resale value later. I should not have drove the car at all. It's a absolute blast to drive. How do you resist the temptation to put miles on the cars you have collected?

Doug

Hello Gerry,

I do own a recently purchased new CSX-VNT (65 miles on the car). Was stored in a warehouse for the last twenty years. Bought on certificate of origin that was issued buy the Shelby Whittier factory. Was planning to not drive it much to promote better resale value later. I should not have drove the car at all. It's a absolute blast to drive. How do you resist the temptation to put miles on the cars you have collected?

Doug

That's a seriously cool find Doug. Did you purchase the CSX from that dealer that also has a new Lancer?

Yes I bought to CSX-VNT from the same place that is offering the Lancer. You can guess what I payed for it. I got a few bucks knocked off but I had to pay for an enclosed car hauler to deliver it 1,500 mile away from where it was purchased. Car arrived in good shape. It had been properly stored and taken car of for all these years. It rained for the first five days after the car arrived (Seattle weather) but on the sixth day it was sunny so my wife and I took it for a brief five mile spin. I could have easily driven for hours as the car was a scream to drive. The car is now all polished, covered and safely tucked away in our enclosed garage. I have seen a few Roush mustangs on the Internet and they are sharp looking cars. I hear they have great performance. Do you still drive your Charger?

Doug

Hi Doug...great car! I know the dealer in South Dakota and have spoken to him several times. He had a green '93 Daytona IROC/RT like mine for sale at one time. And the Lancer which you mention. Neat to see you bought a "time warp" car. I actually bought my '87 Shadow CSx in the Spring of 1992 from a dealership who put it away in their back room after it didn't sell for so many years!!!

The tempatation to drive them? I drove them every once in awhile. But I work at a car dealership and drive Mustangs, Corvettes, BMW's every day. My brother collects Porsches which we take out now and then. And my SVT Focus is a fun daily driver to blast around in. So, at this point in time it would be foolish to take my low mile cars outside and drive.

You're in a quandary: You can drive it and watch vale plummet and let it turn into just "another" CSX. Or, you can keep it as a garage queen and tell peopole you have a "new" '89 car with 65 miles.

I'd vote for choice #2.

Thanks for the update! G

Hi Doug...great car! I know the dealer in South Dakota and have spoken to him several times. He had a green '93 Daytona IROC/RT like mine for sale at one time. And the Lancer which you mention. Neat to see you bought a "time warp" car. I actually bought my '87 Shadow CSx in the Spring of 1992 from a dealership who put it away in their back room after it didn't sell for so many years!!!

The tempatation to drive them? I drove them every once in awhile. But I work at a car dealership and drive Mustangs, Corvettes, BMW's every day. My brother collects Porsches which we take out now and then. And my SVT Focus is a fun daily driver to blast around in. So, at this point in time it would be foolish to take my low mile cars outside and drive.

You're in a quandary: You can drive it and watch vale plummet and let it turn into just "another" CSX. Or, you can keep it as a garage queen and tell peopole you have a "new" '89 car with 65 miles.

I'd vote for choice #2.

Thanks for the update! G

Gerry,

I have a question about what I have discovered under my hood of the CSX-VNT #126. It appears to be some work along the front Cross member over the radiator where the spot welds have been tampered with. I have looked at the photo of your CSX-VNT where you have the hood up and I think I see something similar on your cross member. I thought maybe the Whittier plant may have needed to open things up a bit to shoehorn the Inter cooler in. I sure would appreciate a chance to talk to you about this to set my mind at ease.

Thanks for the recommendation to keep the car as a low mile car. Now I will need to find something else that is as fun to drive!

Mack

Congrats at picking up the CSX from Gesswein. I had mentioned to Carroll a few months back about that CSX and he couldn't believe they were asking that much for it. I don't think Carroll meant it as it's not worth it but more of a good luck on getting it.

Well maybe I'll have to tell Carroll that although it took 20 years Gessewin did get that much. I don't recall off the top of my head what invoice was for the 1989 CSX but lets say it was $13,000 to $14,000 Gesswein probably could have done better investing that money somewhere else for the last 20 years but I guess if he had then you wouldn't have the car right now.

I have a feeling that you'll do much better in the coming years with it.

The 1989 CSX had a gusset plate installed on the bottom of the radiator support from the Shelby factory. So many folks thru the years see that plate and freak out that the car must have been wrecked but don't worry thats they way they all came.

Enjoy your CSX and how about posting pics for everyone to drool at.

Steve

Mack

Congrats at picking up the CSX from Gesswein. I had mentioned to Carroll a few months back about that CSX and he couldn't believe they were asking that much for it. I don't think Carroll meant it as it's not worth it but more of a good luck on getting it.

Well maybe I'll have to tell Carroll that although it took 20 years Gessewin did get that much. I don't recall off the top of my head what invoice was for the 1989 CSX but lets say it was $13,000 to $14,000 Gesswein probably could have done better investing that money somewhere else for the last 20 years but I guess if he had then you wouldn't have the car right now.

I have a feeling that you'll do much better in the coming years with it.

The 1989 CSX had a gusset plate installed on the bottom of the radiator support from the Shelby factory. So many folks thru the years see that plate and freak out that the car must have been wrecked but don't worry thats they way they all came.

Enjoy your CSX and how about posting pics for everyone to drool at.

Steve

Steve

Thanks for the info about the cross member reinforcement. This really had me concerned. I did buy the car sight unseen so you could imagine what was going through my mind when I looked under the hood closely. Let Carroll know he built a very fun car and it has gone to someone who appreciates the advancements in automotive engineering with the advanced turbocharger and the composite wheels. I know its not a GT500KR but back in 1989 it was one of a handful of the fastest cars at the time. When I figure out how to post a photo, I will do so. Is Carroll still autographing car parts for a donation of 300 bucks to his charity? I wanted to send the glove box in to have it autographed by the man himself.

Doug

Doug, Up until the last couple of years Carroll drove his 1989 CSX the most out of all his Dodge cars. It used to be kept out at the Vegas facility for when he was in town. Many folks attending SEMA would see him pull up in it and not realize it was a 10-15 year old car.

A couple years back Carroll wanted it upgraded so we installed a 568 transmission with an aluminum flywheel topped off with a Quaife differential. We have some performance parts that need to be installed to take advantage of this beefy transmission set-up but other projects are taking priority at the moment. But its at the ready. All Carroll has to say is bring it up front.

And yes tou can obtain an autograph thru his charity foundation. The glovebox or the console bin lid under the radio are the best locations for the CSX. Here's the link on how to obtain an autograph.

http://www.cscf.org/donating_autograph.php

Steve

Yes I bought to CSX-VNT from the same place that is offering the Lancer. You can guess what I payed for it. I got a few bucks knocked off but I had to pay for an enclosed car hauler to deliver it 1,500 mile away from where it was purchased. Car arrived in good shape. It had been properly stored and taken car of for all these years. It rained for the first five days after the car arrived (Seattle weather) but on the sixth day it was sunny so my wife and I took it for a brief five mile spin. I could have easily driven for hours as the car was a scream to drive. The car is now all polished, covered and safely tucked away in our enclosed garage. I have seen a few Roush mustangs on the Internet and they are sharp looking cars. I hear they have great performance. Do you still drive your Charger?

Doug

I took a driver's school with the ROUSH at Thunderhill Raceway here in Ca. It certainly handles well. Feels slightly softer sprung than the GLHS. It would be a good comparison to run the two against each other on the roadcourse. The Charger has 85k on it and has been retired since '99. It's a stock T1 with Mopar Per computer and has GLHS wheels. Traveling over seas for work and other things left the car to sit in the garage. In the past year however, it has received 4 wheel disk brakes, all new brake lines, new fuel pump, and this weekend a new water pump. It also got a SHELBY valvecover this weekend. I have a new Magnaflow Cat to put on it and with a new set of rubber, it should be ready to go again :) Here's some pics of the Charger and ROUSH.

Robert

post-11998-1241925424_thumb.jpg

post-11998-1241925456_thumb.jpg

post-11998-1241925474_thumb.jpg

post-11998-1241925424_thumb.jpg

post-11998-1241925456_thumb.jpg

post-11998-1241925474_thumb.jpg

I took a driver's school with the ROUSH at Thunderhill Raceway here in Ca. It certainly handles well. Feels slightly softer sprung than the GLHS. It would be a good comparison to run the two against each other on the roadcourse. The Charger has 85k on it and has been retired since '99. It's a stock T1 with Mopar Per computer and has GLHS wheels. Traveling over seas for work and other things left the car to sit in the garage. In the past year however, it has received 4 wheel disk brakes, all new brake lines, new fuel pump, and this weekend a new water pump. It also got a SHELBY valvecover this weekend. I have a new Magnaflow Cat to put on it and with a new set of rubber, it should be ready to go again :) Here's some pics of the Charger and ROUSH.

Robert

post-24498-1241958507_thumb.jpgpost-24498-1241958541_thumb.jpgpost-24498-1241958681_thumb.jpg

Robert

I to work overseas. I have been working in Indonesia since 1990. Not to many cars to choose from over here. Where are you working overseas? In twenty years I have seen only one Mustang in Indonesia and it was a 65 year. Both of your cars are sharp. The Mustang is especially aggressive looking. I'm brand new to this forum and picture posting thing so I do not know if I properly attached a few photos of my new CSX-VNT. Will find out.

Doug

EDIT: Added quote tags.

post-24498-1241958507_thumb.jpg

post-24498-1241958541_thumb.jpg

post-24498-1241958681_thumb.jpg

I to work overseas. I have been working in Indonesia since 1990. Not to many cars to choose from over here. Where are you working overseas? In twenty years I have seen only one Mustang in Indonesia and it was a 65 year. Both of your cars are sharp. The Mustang is especially aggressive looking. I'm brand new to this forum and picture posting thing so I do not know if I properly attached a few photos of my new CSX-VNT. Will find out.

Doug

Wow that looks awesome! Congrats!

Robert

Doug

The CSX is sweet. Don't touch a thing. It's a time capsule. However, I noticed the window sticker in the window. That has to go. It should be put away to prevent fading. So, make a several copies of it and even scan it. Use the copies in the window.

Never been to Indonesia. The closest was the Philippines. I spent most of my time in Korea and Taiwan while working at a start up semiconductor type company. My company was based in Ca, but our first machines were sold to Asia.

I don't recall seeing any decent cars in Asia either.

Welcome to the forum.

Robert

EDIT: Added quote tags

Gerry, Very nice collection of vehicles. I always loved the SVO foxes, but never had enough spare change to buy one. I'm not an original owner of my 86 GLHS, but I am the second owner. 1st owner put 170K miles of hard use to her, but I'm slowly bringing her back. My main concern is new front floors for her. Welcome.

Hey Gerry, Good to see you still have your collection of cars. I haven't talked to you in a while. I still have my GLHS Omni. I may have some paperwork for your CSX. When I left the dodge dealer I took a bunch of the shelby stuff. Copies of MSOs and invoices. They were going to throw it all away. Drop me a line.

Mike

Hey Gerry, Good to see you still have your collection of cars. I haven't talked to you in a while. I still have my GLHS Omni. I may have some paperwork for your CSX. When I left the dodge dealer I took a bunch of the shelby stuff. Copies of MSOs and invoices. They were going to throw it all away. Drop me a line.

Mike

Hey Mike

Did you end up getting that Shelby dealer sign?

Steve

Oh, Hi Mike! I remember picking the '87 CSX up at your dealership at like 1:00 AM in the morning because I couldn't get off work and had to drive all night to get there! You showed me the '86 GLH-S that was still on display! Funny, because I bought my Charger GLH-S new in Shelby, Ohio at Al Rosso Dodge. At least THAT time I picked it up on a Sunday afternoon and drove out there in my dad's '86 Glh Turbo (which we also bought new, now gone).

Yep, I'd love to have any and all paperwork regarding my car.!!!!

E-mail me!

Thanks, Gerry

Archived