TEAM SHELBY FORUM

45th MCA Anniversary and Barbers leaves an impression

stpracer43

UPDATE - 6 June: My car is finally back on the road!

Click link below to jump to the update post...

My update thread with pics...

------------------

Well Gang ~

Here's my story, with pics. The 45th show at Barber Motorsports Park was outstanding. Faye, Marcus, and I made the drive up on Friday.

P4170166.jpg

Saturday and Sunday was highlighted by too many amazing cars to see and a ton of track time on the track day!!! Faye and Marcus parked in the TS Corral with many of you! Great viewing location of the track for sure.

P4180215.jpg

Love the track! Technical turns with lots of elevation change. Five sessions on the track was just awesome. On Saturday morning, I followed a 66 GT-H to the track at sunrise... crappy camera picture but the imagery was spectacular.

P4180169.jpg

Met up with Steph and Paul in paddock. Had a great time chatting about our laps on the track. Big smiles all around every time we came off of the track.

P4180174.jpg

Fast forward to the last run of the day.... Anyone see a Red/White Stripe GT500 tag the rail after fish-tailing and spinning out of the hairpin? Well... I, no doubt, had the best view of it... from about 5 feet away. First immediate thought ~ thankfully the airbags didn't activate. It was a relatively "slow" speed glancing blow. I drove it back to the pits and checked out the damage.

IMG_3970.jpg

P4180220.jpg

Other than the fender being pushed in on the wheel, the car was/is drivable. The steering wheel is in the right position and the car tracks straight, with no vibes in the wheels, steering, or drive train... So I pull the fender off the wheel and call it a day.

Bottom line ~ driver error. I drove every corner on the track in 3rd gear in every prior session. Was only in 4th gear on the front straight, intermediate and back straights. During the last session I had caught two slightly slower cars entering the hairpin... My speed was well below what I had been driving earlier, and I just instinctively down-shifted to 2nd. On the exit, I hammered the throttle just like I had been doing in 3rd all day.

End result ~ rear end steps out right, I correct right, rear comes left and I try to catch it, this goes left/right for another iteration, and it finally spins around on me, headed toward the edge of the track and guard rail. I locked the brakes down hard those last instantaneous seconds on the asphalt, hoping to get it stopped. The nose comes around, I'm off the brakes and steering away from the guard rail. Just not enough room...

Thankfully, no one else's cars were involved, I'm okay, and my car will be okay too. Already working with Michael Morris on the parts list...

For those that offered help at the track, "Thanks!". I appreciated your concern and offers to assist in any way. If anyone captured the action on camera, I'd love to see it from the external view.

Bottom line, I'd always rather it be my fault, enjoying my car on the track, as opposed to getting plowed by some inattentive driver in a parking lot.

And yes, I was driving it like I stole it! :peelout: Check out my tires from one session... I can still smell the sticky rubber and the brake dust!

P4180217.jpg

Here's a link to photobucket with other pics as well...45th Mustang Anniversary

All in All, a memory of a lifetime! Just one hell of a way to get folks to take pics of my car!

Keith

Great pictures and honest text Keith...I have a great deal of respect for someone that accepts responsibility when something goes wrong, can laugh about it, then keep on enjoying themselves. A++++

Alex

Keith,

We enjoyed spending the Saturday next to you. The advice about keeping it in 3rd and only shifting into 4 on the straights was priceless, too bad I only got to use it one session!

How did the wife take It? She did not look like a happy camper leaving.

Paul

Keith,

We enjoyed spending the Saturday next to you. The advice about keeping it in 3rd and only shifting into 4 on the straights was priceless, too bad I only got to use it one session!

How did the wife take It? She did not look like a happy camper leaving.

Paul

Faye was naturally relieved I wasn't hurt, but disappointed at the outcome and the unplanned expenditure for repairs...

But, she understands my desire to be on the track (hell, she bought me the Richard Petty Driving Experience for my birthday) and tolerates it.

Naturally, I would have preferred a different outcome as well. But, You and I both know how much fun we were having on Saturday.

Certainly worth the price of admission from my perspective.

Been There, Done That, Got the T-Shirt!

Keith

Well Gang ~

Fast forward to the last run of the day.... Anyone see a Red/White Stripe GT500 tag the rail after fish-tailing and spinning out of the hairpin? Well... I, no doubt, had the best view of it... from about 5 feet away. First immediate thought ~ thankfully the airbags didn't activate. It was a relatively "slow" speed glancing blow. I drove it back to the pits and checked out the damage.

Keith

Keith, I was videotaping cars going into that turn when I heard your car go into the spin.

I quickly panned over with the camera and caught the smoke and the "hit".

It was a very painful thing for us all to see and I felt terrible.

I took a whole bunch of video of the racing and I'll be posting on youtube.

Great show, my car was parked in front of the Quantam Performance folks the whole time.

I met a lot of great people and look forward to the next event.

PS: I was staying at the Marriott and tried to meet the owner of the red

super snake with "super s" from Mo. on the license plate but could never find him.

I have some good footage of his car on the track..

super snake with "super s" from Mo. on the license plate but could never find him.

That was Reg a.k.a bossreg

Met him and his wife Mary over the weekend!

I'm sure he would love to see the footage.

WELL,

On the good side of this, at least y'all didn't mess it up like the Rousch 427R on Thursday.

HE TOTALLED THAT CAR, the shifter acted like a can opener through the console.

And the dash pad came off.

WHAT DO YOU TELL ALLSTATE IN THIS CASE?

TDS

WELL,

On the good side of this, at least y'all didn't mess it up like the Rousch 427R on Thursday.

WHAT DO YOU TELL ALLSTATE IN THIS CASE?

TDS

I know nothing, I say nothing. Not making an insurance claim... out of pocket on this one.

Keith

Keith, I was videotaping cars going into that turn when I heard your car go into the spin.

CobraFun ~ have you had a chance to post the video clip yet? Would love to see it!

Thanks,

Keith

Great show, my car was parked in front of the Quantam Performance folks the whole time.

I met a lot of great people and look forward to the next event.

That would be me..let me know when your going to put up the video would love to see it...was about 1/2 lap behind Keith when he spun...I ran the 3.73 gear in 3rd and 4th all day...could only get the SS up to @110 on the front straight before the brakes have to be applied....the new 6P Baers on the back just squat that car right down....I have in car video of one session I'll try to put up on youtube....Reg

That sucks, glad you were alright. Yes, that Rousch took a big hit. I was there with my Bullitt rather than my GT500. In the group photo that would be my hood up that is facing the far left blue Mach just behind the camper van. I had a great time as well. Managed to get a brief conversation with Robert and Scott Hoag of MRT and picked up a really cool Michael Lovitz GT500 print.

I have a couple of Video's from my track time on Thursday.

First with some music added:

Second with wind noise and Engine:

I captured a similar video clip as well... but not of my spin and hit. Hoping someone out there has it so I can get the spectators' view.

Ouch!

Glad the damage was limited to just body panels...

These might make you feel a bit better - I snapped them at various times during the weekend. Thanks for running that beauty!'

(You can download the originals by clicking on the pictures and following the links - look for "All Sizes" and choose the original)

Hope you have her back on the road quick! :)

Red Shelby Leads

3478796452_c56f2f712e.jpg

RedShelbyLeads2

3477973933_9f6045d71c.jpg

3 red stangs

3469955774_8bcf662f3a.jpg

Red 08 Shelby

3467438466_35d2858a49.jpg

Ouch!

Glad the damage was limited to just body panels...

These might make you feel a bit better - I snapped them at various times during the weekend. Thanks for running that beauty!'

(You can download the originals by clicking on the pictures and following the links - look for "All Sizes" and choose the original)

Hope you have her back on the road quick! :)

Red Shelby Leads

3478796452_c56f2f712e.jpg

RedShelbyLeads2

3477973933_9f6045d71c.jpg

3 red stangs

3469955774_8bcf662f3a.jpg

Red 07 Shelby

3467438466_35d2858a49.jpg

Clutch ~ Nice shots!!! Thanks for taking them and thanks for making them your first post on Team Shelby. Have to say, Damn my car looks good on the track B) !

Car went in the shop on Weds and should be done early next week.

Welcome to TS!

* UPDATE *

Here's a series of photos with the action from an external view... Guess I was influenced by the flagman waving the blue flag at the cars in front of me in the hairpin :drool:

Hammer it & get ready to pass these guys!

100_3226.jpg

Oh crap, this is gonna leave a mark...

100_3227.jpg

Driving away after hitting the guard rail, glad the airbags didn't activate.

100_3228.jpg

Signaling I'm slow... looks like the other driver is checking out my damage

100_3230.jpg

Done for the day, but damn that sure was fun :happy feet:

100_3231.jpg

Keith

Clutch ~ Nice shots!!! Thanks for taking them and thanks for making them your first post on Team Shelby. Have to say, Damn my car looks good on the track B) !

Car went in the shop on Weds and should be done early next week.

Welcome to TS!

Thanks! And you are very welcome - I love seeing people using the cars as they are intended. :)

I have quite a few more that I haven't posted (didn't want to focus too much on any one car) If you're interested, let me know and I'll send them to you via Email.

Ed.

• 1 month later...

Well Gang ~

After about 6 weeks and working with Michael Morris, my car has been fully repaired to it's rightful glory!

Picked it up from the shop on Sat, 6 June and it is as good as new. Was essentially ready before Memorial Day, but discovered an alignment issue with left front wheel and sent it back to shop to correct.

Replaced the Hood, Plastic Bumper, Left Fender, Steel Bumper, Upper Radiator Support, Headlight/turn signal, and hood/bumper/fender stripes.

Repair Pics below:

Back on the road!

P1010216-1.jpg

Looking like a Shelby should...

P1010217.jpg

Initial Diagnosis...

Picture_500.jpg

The carnage...

Picture_501.jpg

P1010167.jpg

P1010184.jpg

New metal back in place...

P1010191.jpg

Still had fun on the track, despite the expense...

Keith

Archived