TEAM SHELBY FORUM

'wheel hop' at launch?

I read this on a review of the '10 GT 500 :

Unfortunately, there is one circumstance where the GT500 trips. If excessive rpm is used during a drag-style launch from rest, the rear axle enters jack-hammer mode with violent hopping and intermittent rubber-to-road contact. The new axle ratio and added torque combo doesn't work as well as the 2006-2008 arrangement. That's an odd situation for a car that has such a devout straight-line, quarter-mile following. During recent tests of the new Camaro with an independent rear suspension--supposedly ill suited for drag use--we observed no such traction problem. To circumvent the axle tramp issue, the GT500's electronic stability system has a launch mode that automatically modulates the engine's throttle. It works as advertised.

So, if a guy gets some good slicks and trys a 4,000 rpm launch ('launch' mode off), all he'll get is massive wheel hop? That doesn't sound right. What have you guys heard thru the grapevine about this? It seems troubling that such a car should have this problem. :banghead:

Oh Grasshopper, you have much to read about in these forums. GT500 owners have a number of items that have proven to help. Of course as you build more horsepower you need more goodies to offset.

My best recommendation is to call all of our site sponsors. Tell them what you plan to do with the car in the short run and in the future. They will recommend a course of action. The most important part is then to stick with their recommendation and buy all the parts from the same sponsor. Each of our sponsors have spent time and money looking for the right combination of parts to cure the hop. There is more than one approach that will work.

Oh Grasshopper, you have much to read about in these forums. GT500 owners have a number of items that have proven to help. Of course as you build more horsepower you need more goodies to offset.

My best recommendation is to call all of our site sponsors. Tell them what you plan to do with the car in the short run and in the future. They will recommend a course of action. The most important part is then to stick with their recommendation and buy all the parts from the same sponsor. Each of our sponsors have spent time and money looking for the right combination of parts to cure the hop. There is more than one approach that will work.

Well, after thinking about this a little more, I think wheel hop won't be a problem using the 'soft' rubber of drag slicks. :doh:

Archived