TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lost my best buddy

Fourteen and 1/2 years ago I began sharing my home and life with a little black Schnauzer I named Dunkin'. We showed him for about 2 years. We both had fun, learned a lot about dogs and met many friends as well as collecting a few cups, assorted trophies and a drawer full of ribbons. The judges liked him. At about age 4 I started taking him on short rides on the bike. Short rides grew into trips on the Blue Ridge Pkwy, to various motorcycle rallys and several trips to Daytona for bike week. Anything up to 500 mile days, he was game for. Neither of us being perfect, we over looked faults and grew to really enjoy each other's company. Although he loved riding on the bike he never seemed to care too much for the truck or cars. That is until I got the Shelby. The first time he rode in the Shelby he got in while in the garage. I put the window down and cranked her up. While I was familiar with the "bark" of the exhaust on start up, he wasn't. He jerked around and looked at me like "what the heck" but soon he grew to love it as much as I do. Riding in the Shelby became almost as good as a bike ride. Dogs are great companions, especially this one.

Last Friday I found a tick on him and removed it. Saturday evening he became sick and Sunday I took him to the emergency vet. They ran some tests and gave shots for nausea and sent us home with some antibiotics for tick born infection. Monday I took him to his vet as his condition hadn't improved. On the way he had a seizure and another in the vet's office. They kept him overnight on IV fluids but didn't offer much hope. He passed away early Tuesday morning. One of the hardest things I've ever had to do was burry my "best friend" of 14 years. He'll be missed tremendiously and I just wanted to share this.

Jim

2006RogersPortfolio062.jpg

Looking good

2006RogersPortfolio2011.jpg

On the Blue Ridge

RogersGS019.jpg

Blue Ridge Pkwy in Virginia

P1000176.jpg

Standing guard at Daytona Bike Week last year

Jim,

I feel so bad for you. I know exactly how you feel. :cry: A couple years ago....my best friend Rosie (Golden retriever) got cancer. Rosie was 14. She was so sick she could not hardly walk. I took her to the vet and held her in my arms as she was put to sleep. At that time.....it was the hardest thing I had ever done.

I can see by your photos that you and Dunkin did alot together. I can also see how strong the bond / love that you guys had by the great photos. Try to get some rest and then think of a good way to remember your best friend. I planted a tree in my yard for my Rosie and spread her ashs under the stone I made for her.

Just an idea.

YardPhotosOct2008013.jpg

YardPhotosOct2008014.jpg

I know how you feel. I lost one of my best buddies after 5 years, a 9 yoa black lab/sheppard mix this past December. He had lung cancer! The only thing I can think of is that before I got him from the Pound that he had lived where there was a lot of second hand smoke. That kills just like inhaling from a cigarette. It was devastating to see him suffer at the end. He chose to stand instead of laying down---he had problems breathing on the floor his last 24 hours. On his last trip to the vet I put the window down. He enjoyed himself by putting his head out the window letting the wind blow in his face. I saw this in the rear view mirror. He was in hog heaven! I'll always keep that image of him as my best image of him on his last day. So mode it be.

Jim H.

Tucson, AZ

So sorry to hear about Dunkin'. I lost my old buddy Clyde last September at 13 years old (Boston Terrier). I know what you're going through. They are truly "man's best friend".

Fourteen and 1/2 years ago I began sharing my home and life with a little black Schnauzer I named Dunkin'.

Schnauzer's are the best dogs. We found ours in the middle of a field someone had booted out as a little puppy and we took her in. She is the best companion and smart as a tack so I know losing yours after 14 years had to be pretty tough.

Condolences sent your way.

I am extremely sorry for your loss. I know exactly what you are going through I too had to put down my best friend Gypsy back on Sept 22nd 08 she was 16.5 years old, I was 18 years old when I got her. Thank GOD I had 16.5 years with her she helped me become an adult. Its been 7 months and I still miss her so much.

About a month ago we got another dog (actually a puppy) her name is PUKKA and I thought I would never have the same love I had for a dog as I had with Gypsy, but to be honest getting the new puppy has helped alot she has a very similiar personality as Gypsy had and Pukka has helped so much in the grieving process now she has became such an important part in our life its actually fun doing the whole training process over again.

So when your ready and the time is right the best medicine is to get a puppy or at least it was for us.

Take care and I am very sorry for your loss.

Thanks for all the encouraging responses guys, they really mean a lot. Grabber the tree that you did by Rosies grave is a great idea. Stump, I know what you mean. I've had several dogs but the Schnauzers seem to have so much personality. I'm sure that in time I will get another but I can never replace Dunkin'. He was one of a kind. Ccmellies, 16.5 years, man I know that was rough. Again, all your thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Jim,

i am so very sorry for your loss. i to had a dog very much like Dunkin called Bogie a labrador and he went every where i went. he was definately one of my best friends. i think of him often and now have a new dog named Bogie who is also a lab. Hope that your pain is short lived. So in the interm here is a poem that was sent to me when the 1st Bogie had passed away. it is called The Rainbow Bridge.

Respectfully,

Scotty N Peggy

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Archived