TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Chip Beck's take on the Car & Driver article.

ChipBeck

Well put Chip!

As for the HD comments. . . Don't know if I'm rough enough around the edges to be "old school" yet doubt if I make enough to be considered "yuppie." I bought my first motorcycle when I was 14--my first a Honda 160CL, then a 350, then a Honda 450, and then after a few years of no bike I got a Kawasaki 900--I loved that bike and I used to pass quite a few broke down Harleys alongside the road. And then about 12 years ago all that "hype" that's been mentioned got to me I guess because I saved my pennies just like when I was a kid and bought my first Harley. Now I've had my second Harley for 6 years--it's just a 03 Softail with a few "mods" but it's all I need and I love it. Don't know if I'll ever be as fanatical about Harleys as Fords but I'm close. . . although what HD charges for anything with their name on it gets a bit obscene sometimes; likewise everytime I go on a poker run, or some other HD gathering I feel like I'm at an old folks home--everyone's an old fart like me. . . it's a bit depressing.

CC

Funny, I was just thinking about that last night while looking at the Cobra Jet article in the new Hot Rod again. When I was hanging out on the corner in the mid to late 60s (what a Jersey kid does), the people who had the cool cars were the old farts, at least 35 years old! None of us average kids could afford a real car. The hottest Vette in town was owned by a guy with a hint of gray hair. Harleys were supposedly owned by Hell's Angels and considered too counter culture. :nonono:

Things sure have changed. I had to wait 40 years but now I'm the old fart with the hot car :happy feet: , the bikers have gray ponytails or better yet a cap or "doo rag" with a faux ponytail built in :hysterical: All of the ones I've met are in to their hobby like us car guys are. I get a thumbs up from lots of them on the road and comments at stoplights. Lots of the car guys I know have both Harleys and an American :salute: muscle car, new or old.

When ever I go to a cruise or car show, I never get depressed about my age (late 50s). I look around at all of us having fun, swapping stories and showing our cars. I see my SGT as my personal time machine. I met my wife in my mother's '67 Mustang in high school in 1968. Now when when we fire up the SGT and the Shaker 500, it is like we never left central Jersey. I feel like I'm 17 again. :happy feet: After 40 years, my high school sweetheart literally is again in a Mustang passenger seat next to me. :happy feet:

What does this have to do with the C/D article? I say lets enjoy what we have. They'll never undersatnd it. No matter what a person is in to, there will be the ignorant nay sayer hanging around. If they bash anybody on a personal level, it proves my point about ignorance. If they bash our vehicles and won't drive them, that's their loss. We all know differently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuCSDFDwkKY

Edit:

You just can't walk into a HD dealer and buy a Ironhorse like this...and guys I know with bikes like this laugh when someone wants to buy them...I guess thats what I was getting at, its like an appendage to me and everything on it is like a memory of friends here and gone who I rode with and wrenched with along the way, like some sort of talisman or a good luck charm...hard to explain...

It has a power and I believe all objects have power, this ones is immediate, it has a presence all its own.

To me HD's are nothing like Shelby's except that they are both very very cool. I am very grateful to have both.

I went riding last night, and made this video...nothing like this bike...I will ride it until I am dead. The sound of that mill snapping to life in the crisp coast night air is so f@#$ing sweet.

It was the first thing I ever owned worth anything...Ate beans and rice for 6 months way back when to buy it on my word from a crusty old Viet Nam vet who bought it new. I like it more than any other vehicle I have owned or own.

Chrome won't get you home but black will get you back.

That's a beautiful bike mccoy.. I used to drool over the old Shovelhead when I was a kid. Now that I'm a wise old man of 27 years, I've decided I want a Night Rod (blacked out V-Rod). ;)

I've heard lots of old HD guys criticize the hell out of that bike, but I love it and couldn't give a sh*t less what anyone thinks of my choice in wheels. Once my 66 fastback is finished, I'll be shopping for one.

Anyway, I'm a young guy and I've loved Mustangs, Shelbys, and kick ass bikes since I was a boy. It's all about how you're raised, I think.

Ken

McCoy... We are truly blessed!!! I, too have an HD - '03 Wide Glide and along with my Shelby what an awesome combination!!!

Gary

Same here, 04 Nighttrain, Love my bike! Ford and Harley seem to go together well:)

That's a beautiful bike mccoy.. I used to drool over the old Shovelhead when I was a kid. Now that I'm a wise old man of 27 years, I've decided I want a Night Rod (blacked out V-Rod). ;)

I've heard lots of old HD guys criticize the hell out of that bike, but I love it and couldn't give a sh*t less what anyone thinks of my choice in wheels. Once my 66 fastback is finished, I'll be shopping for one.

Anyway, I'm a young guy and I've loved Mustangs, Shelbys, and kick ass bikes since I was a boy. It's all about how you're raised, I think.

Ken

Right On! I know an old timer who rode a v-rod they are pretty dang quick and no maintinence but oil changes, there was a great Discovery channel show about how they designed and built that bike it was cool.

With you 100% ride whatever you want :happy feet:

Around here you are a spring chicken haha... You ever see Garage Magazine? Cool stuff....Thanks for the compliment.

Archived