TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Zaino wax

progolferv1

Started the process this morning at 8 cst. Clay bar first, 2 coats of polish and just put on the first coat of wax. I run 3 miles a day and lift weights 5 days a week. I will tell you after 4 hours of this...I am wiped. this is not the easiest thing to do, but it sure is nice to see the car this clean. This stuff is all that they claim it to be. I will post pics after the 3 coat of wax.

Started the process this morning at 8 cst. Clay bar first, 2 coats of polish and just put on the first coat of wax. I run 3 miles a day and lift weights 5 days a week. I will tell you after 4 hours of this...I am wiped. this is not the easiest thing to do, but it sure is nice to see the car this clean. This stuff is all that they claim it to be. I will post pics after the 3 coat of wax.

Whats the story with Zaino wax, never heard of it? :headscratch:

Zaino is good stuff no doubt about it, but its a bear to get off, especially the first coat. I've been using ICE paste on my Van and found it to be just as good, more long lasting and really easy to apply and remove.

I did my Van with Zaino before (and clayed it) and it about killed me. Lots of sheet metal. Its out in the weather day in and out and it really wore the Zaino down fast. Was only 2 coats though.

I'm thinking I may try ICE on the GT500 next time to wax.

The only thing Zaino may be is slightly shinier. Its very hard to tell. The ICE works well on black plastic too and that makes it easier to use. Its pretty damn good stuff. Just me .02 cents.

Did you use z-2 or z-5, or some other type?

KC666

:rockon:

Zaino looks amazing but I just don't have it in me to put that much work into detailing anymore. Here is one of their products and it is a one application product that can go on the paint, plastic, vinyl, rubber hoses, etc. It looks pricey but I've had my bottle for a couple of years and it goes a long way.

<<ZAINO LINK>>

I have been a Zaino believer for a long time but it does take some elbow grease. I have switched over to Show Car's products and have found them to be as good without the entire workout required for Zaino. In this area, we have many good choices.

Jim

I have been a Zaino believer for a long time but it does take some elbow grease. I have switched over to Show Car's products and have found them to be as good without the entire workout required for Zaino. In this area, we have many good choices.

Jim

Thats good to here about Show Cars products! I was curious if they were any good, I have been tempted to give them a try.

Thats good to here about Show Cars products! I was curious if they were any good, I have been tempted to give them a try.

Here is a good example. A friend of mine is getting a new vehicle (not a Shelby) and he is dedicated to taking care of the car from day one even though it is a daily driver. It is garaged and he lives in Phoenix so there is a good chance he will follow through. I e-mailed Steve (owner of Show Car) and asked him what my friend would need to care for the car inside and out. Steve put together a package for me that we fine tuned into this:

Show Car Wheel Cleaner.

Show Car Wash.

2 Wash and Dry Packages.

Show Car Exterior Kit - Includes Clay Kit, Polish, Glaze, and Wax.

Show Car Interior Kit - Includes Dressing, Carpet Cleaner, Glass Cleaner.

2 Show Car Drying Towels.

2 Grit Guards.

8 Satin Edge Towels.

Steve understands customer service; he flat gets it done. Put that together with great products and it is a pretty winning combination for my money.

Jim

Love the Zaino!! Did mine 3 weeks ago...Clay bar, 2 coats of Z5, 1 coat of Z2, Gloss Enhancer between each coat, Clear Seal, Grand Finale spray. I took 2 days to do it. I know what you mean, I was sore for a couple of days. It was all worth it though, paint looks awsome. Get compliments on it, especially when sun hits it. Not worried about how long it lasts compred to others. Parked in garage under cover when not driving it. Plus when I do drive it, I get home and clean it up with a spray bottle that I mixed with Zaino car wash and water. Then wipe it down with gloss enhancer. I'm anal I know. I kept my 99 Cobra clean as well, just not this clean. It was a DD, the GT500 is not.

I've been using Ziano on my car since I brought it home from the dealer. I like how you can just push the water off the car when washing it. After the first application, I ended up buying a buffer. It's pretty easy applying the Ziano with the buffer and it doesn't wipe you out for a couple days. Without it, I think the thing to remember is that you don't have to apply a lot of pressure when doing the coats. Just wipe on, wipe off.

It's pretty easy applying the Ziano with the buffer and it doesn't wipe you out for a couple days.

I bought a buffer as well but have not used it for applying the polish. Do you find that you use more polish with the buffer (not a big deal if you do) because of the amount the pad absorbs? Thanks in advance.

Jim

Whats the story with Zaino wax, never heard of it? :headscratch:

It's a sealant really, not a wax.

Wax is made from carnuba and is "natural"

Sealants are chemical and are designed to bond with the clear coat of your paint.

As for ease of use... it's extremely easy to use. I'm not sure why some of you are having a hard time wiping it off unless you're using WAAAY to much and/or leaving it on for like a week :)

It comes off much easier than many of the waxes I've used.

As for the steps, yeah to do the whole "3-step" process that really does take a very long time. But IMHO that process really shouldn't be necessary but maybe once a year. After the initial process you should be able to just do one layer and be good.

As for longevity, Zaino will generally outlast waxes, and has a reputation for lasting quite a while even in harsh conditions (ice, snow, salt).

IMHO I think as long as you wash and wax your car at least once a month, it really doesn't make a huge difference in what you use.

A good wax or sealant will generally last about three weeks so just take your pick :)

I would avoid any wax that will stain trim however.... just my .02

Yes, it is a LOT of work. No way around that. Worse if it is humid outside.

But shines like nothing I have ever seen.

Have to admit I waxed before doing the claybar. I was lazy that day (and it still took two days, a dehumidifier in the garage the first night and LOTS of work). Now, I'm dreading starting from scratch and doing the claybar. Not even sure if I will since is looks AWSOME even with having those few "bumps" the claybar would remove.

Being in a VERY humid place. It is a two day process whenever I do it. With the last Z2 & Z6, then Z8 being the second day.

Yes, it is a LOT of work. No way around that. Worse if it is humid outside.

But shines like nothing I have ever seen.

Have to admit I waxed before doing the claybar. I was lazy that day (and it still took two days, a dehumidifier in the garage the first night and LOTS of work). Now, I'm dreading starting from scratch and doing the claybar. Not even sure if I will since is looks AWSOME even with having those few "bumps" the claybar would remove.

Being in a VERY humid place. It is a two day process whenever I do it. With the last Z2 & Z6, then Z8 being the second day.

My last Stang was an '02 black GT and I know exactly what you mean. I spent days on the hood and ended up using more aggressive Einzette with my Porter Cable buffer. In fact, the Porter Cable was bought because of the black GT. I learned alot on that car and had my technique to the point that the black paint looked near perfect. The dealer had made such a huge mess of the paint with so many scratches I thought I would never get it right.

Now I have Alloy, and I only need to do the ZIO and then clean with the Cali Duster and microfibers and the detail spray.

Black is an awesome color, but also, without a doubt, the most difficult.

It's a sealant really, not a wax.

Wax is made from carnuba and is "natural"

Sealants are chemical and are designed to bond with the clear coat of your paint.

As for ease of use... it's extremely easy to use. I'm not sure why some of you are having a hard time wiping it off unless you're using WAAAY to much and/or leaving it on for like a week :)

It comes off much easier than many of the waxes I've used.

As for the steps, yeah to do the whole "3-step" process that really does take a very long time. But IMHO that process really shouldn't be necessary but maybe once a year. After the initial process you should be able to just do one layer and be good.

As for longevity, Zaino will generally outlast waxes, and has a reputation for lasting quite a while even in harsh conditions (ice, snow, salt).

IMHO I think as long as you wash and wax your car at least once a month, it really doesn't make a huge difference in what you use.

A good wax or sealant will generally last about three weeks so just take your pick :)

I would avoid any wax that will stain trim however.... just my .02

Agreed. Piece of cake to wipe off if applyed properly(very little is needed).Claybar everytime?IMHO not necessary.Last's a very long time if car is Garaged and not a DD.Money well spent IMHO.Chuck. PS I would highly recommend getting the "CR Spotless water filtration system" to compliment you cleaning process.As Anal as everyone is about our cars,especially in the cleaning process, this is a joy to use and to have.I use a 1600psi 1.6gpm power washer with my CR system and spray the entire car down,underbody,underhood(very carefully) and it dries completely spot free(just make sure to rinse all the soap away) and looks shiny as hell to boot(something about mineral free water).As much as we spend on "Mod's" $300. is relatively cheap for something we use weekly on our cars.

Zaino is not hard to apply or wipe down. If you apply too much, it takes a lot of effort to rub it in. Just follow the directions exactly-don't over apply. This stuff is great, been using it for years.

I bought a buffer as well but have not used it for applying the polish. Do you find that you use more polish with the buffer (not a big deal if you do) because of the amount the pad absorbs? Thanks in advance.

Jim

The pad does absorb quite a bit but once you get going, you only have to add a small amount.

Just putting my .02 in here too. I just heard about the zaino myself but unsure if it will live up to its hype. I have been into detailing my car for years first my daily driver when I was a teenager in the 90's to now. I have tried various products from zymol to the colour match waxes, which work best if your ready to sell your daily. Anywhoo, about ten years ago I had tried Meguires and Mothers and was not impressed with their products but like anyone else they have improved. I have been using Meguires since we bought our GT500 mind you only three weeks ago but I used the claybar right away because my paint on a brand new GT500 was like sand paper already. Then I used their cleaner wax. Then just last weekend I used their nxt syn wax. I have never seen such a deep rich shine on one of my vehicles before. Now don't get me wrong I am not saying Zaino does'nt work I am just saying that maybe if you pick a good premium product from your local auto store you may be pleasantly surpised by the results and the smaller dent in your wallet!!

Just putting my .02 in here too. I just heard about the zaino myself but unsure if it will live up to its hype. I have been into detailing my car for years first my daily driver when I was a teenager in the 90's to now. I have tried various products from zymol to the colour match waxes, which work best if your ready to sell your daily. Anywhoo, about ten years ago I had tried Meguires and Mothers and was not impressed with their products but like anyone else they have improved. I have been using Meguires since we bought our GT500 mind you only three weeks ago but I used the claybar right away because my paint on a brand new GT500 was like sand paper already. Then I used their cleaner wax. Then just last weekend I used their nxt syn wax. I have never seen such a deep rich shine on one of my vehicles before. Now don't get me wrong I am not saying Zaino does'nt work I am just saying that maybe if you pick a good premium product from your local auto store you may be pleasantly surpised by the results and the smaller dent in your wallet!!

You are very correct - there are probably cheaper products out there... Where do you start, there are so many!! I may give the Meguires a try though, off your recommendation. Zaino lasts a while, not only on the car, but since a LITTLE bit goes a long way, I've found that I just simply have it around for a while. Once it runs out maybe I'll experiment with other products...

Thanks for the input on Meguires, I too used to see bad reviews on it.

You are very correct - there are probably cheaper products out there... Where do you start, there are so many!! I may give the Meguires a try though, off your recommendation. Zaino lasts a while, not only on the car, but since a LITTLE bit goes a long way, I've found that I just simply have it around for a while. Once it runs out maybe I'll experiment with other products...

Thanks for the input on Meguires, I too used to see bad reviews on it.

I followed the instructions on the clay kit, making sure my paint was cool and all the fun stuff. Then applied the cleaner wax after claying the car. Now I know Meguires has a three step system you can use after the clay kit. But they also suggest you use their nXt synthetic. Which is what I used. Now unlike the turtle wax ice you have to keep it away from vinyl, plastic and rubber, as it too will leave a white residue. I do like the ice detailer under hood, and in door jambs and in wheel wells. As I have'nt shown the car yet I have not conditioned the hoses under hood. But as I say I was really happy with the results. As far as tire dressing goes though definately black magic is the way to go. The meguires long last tire gel is great, but to me hands down black magic has a better tire shine. But once again just my .02 cents.

I followed the instructions on the clay kit, making sure my paint was cool and all the fun stuff. Then applied the cleaner wax after claying the car. Now I know Meguires has a three step system you can use after the clay kit. But they also suggest you use their nXt synthetic. Which is what I used. Now unlike the turtle wax ice you have to keep it away from vinyl, plastic and rubber, as it too will leave a white residue. I do like the ice detailer under hood, and in door jambs and in wheel wells. As I have'nt shown the car yet I have not conditioned the hoses under hood. But as I say I was really happy with the results. As far as tire dressing goes though definately black magic is the way to go. The meguires long last tire gel is great, but to me hands down black magic has a better tire shine. But once again just my .02 cents.

From what I've heard NXT is a great product. NXT "2.0" is supposed to be even better. Be careful with any wax/sealer that you use that will stain trim. I personally just don't use it if it stains as there are a lot of great products out there that don't.

I'm not sure if NXT does or not.

My favorite "go-to" product right now is Clearkote's Carnuba Moose. I love the stuff, it's cheaper than Zaino and durability is right up there as well. I generally use the Carnuba Moose for everything I do now.

Mother's also produces quality stuff for OTC. Their "Reflections" line is very nice.

Does the NXT go on easy & last?

I found it went on easy and came off easy, but mind you after I used their clay kit and cleaner wax. I don't think I will use the three step system they have as I found the car looks great now!! But you never know. As far as lasting?? I am not sure, as like you my car is usually garage bound and covered during foul weather.

Archived