TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Stripes gone bad... again

Well what is even more silly is that if you want to not have the problem with the GT350 you need to spend an additional $4300.

To fix the SGT you also have to trust that they can remove and replace the scoop without screwing that up that or the stripe install.

Thats wahat discourages me, I guess we will see how they do in the body shop when they fix the hood pin corrosion I have.

So the new generation stripes get the spots as well? That is wierd, mine is no where near like the above picture.

I feel for your suffering with this.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its like walking around with this great built body. Totally in shape.

An envy of all your friends...

Only to show up to the party with this massive huge Zit on you face with pus poring out. YuK! well ok maybe without the pus.

Sorry just tryin to be funny......

The point is all anyone sees is the ugly looking stripes and not the rest of the car including ME! Every time I get in it.

Ya $4300 is huge on a car you have already spent a bundle on. I'm sure it will be the same for me on My GT

I don't know if Saleen or Roush have similar problems to deal with on their graphics, but is sure a bad vibe for we Shelby SGT owners.

While this doesn't help you Roush provides only a 90 day warranty on their stripes.

There are forums show similar, even worse, issues there:

http://www.fnsweet.com/forums/05-09-roush-mustangs/53157-vinyl-stripe-removal-experts-help.html

There are simply some places, and some owner use/habits, that simply are BAD for these and any vinyl material. Even the best stuff will have issues if allowed to to sit outside day after day, often with repeated dousing of acidic rain or other pollutants/contaminants, or sitting every evening/morning with dew coating the roof and hood that's later allowed to dry slowing building up a microscopic layer of crap over and over and over, each time becoming a stronger and stronger soup of bile as it eats more and more into the stripe material.

Unfortunately while this stuff fine for what it is, and normally fine to use, they're simply not as strong or resilient as paint, but then it's not made to be either, however people expectations are often different as can be seen here.

My car (2007-the stripes that are known to have the greatest challenges) is garaged, has been washed with water maybe 5 times in three years, never allowed to sit outside or dew to form on it, more than maybe 4 times and every time cleaned with detail spray and clay bar right after getting home. If I get caught in the rain I wipe the car down as soon as I get home. My stripes were replaced in year two due to material damage from hood scoop and rear deck spoiler install and thus far finishing up year three still looking perfect.

Bob, all this I KNOW, is little consolation to you, but I have NEVER seen 08 stripes looking as bad as yours and you say you've only had them a few months? Something is up where you live or we would see 2500 owners in here posting similar pictures. I'm not saying there aren't others but I think Ford is correct on this one and it's some extreme environmental issue at play here. BTW: there was a member, also in CA, that posted pictures much like yours in the old stripe thread on his 07 it would be interesting to find out if you both live in the same area.

i had new stripes put on after hail damage 2 years ago and they still look good. the stripe material is better quality. but for whatever reason the body shop didnt have the stripes replaced on the front and rear facias. probably because those parts are fiberglass and they didnt take any hail damage like the metal body did. the front facia stripes have some deteriation but the rear facia stripes are really bad. i wonder what the car would look like without the facia stripes on both ends? anyone have pics with thier SGTs or any mustangs like that?

the pic u see of the front of my Shelby is an older pic of when i had the car only a few months. so the stripes arent as shiny on the front bumper now. my car sits outside all the time. (yeah its terrible to have a car like this with no garage but what can u do?) i never cared for vinyl stripes on anything. i rather paint them on. maybe i'll do that when all the stripes get bad or... i thought of just having them removed completely and leave the rocker panel stripes. and paint the hood scoop solid silver or maybe solid white. i dont know.

Some of you may think it should be kept lookin as original as possible and i can see why being that it IS A Shelby, but its MY Shelby and i can really do what i want. after all i see the Shelby GT as an empty canvas and can be modded, not just mechanically with cams as many of you have already done, but also its apearance could be modded. at least i'm not puttin some gay lookin superbird spoilers on it or painting daffodils all over it. (and yeah, i always hated that retarded lookin tall rear spoiler on those Superbirds back in the day.)

While this doesn't help you Roush provides only a 90 day warranty on their stripes.

There are forums show similar, even worse, issues there:

http://www.fnsweet.com/forums/05-09-roush-mustangs/53157-vinyl-stripe-removal-experts-help.html

There are simply some places, and some owner use/habits, that simply are BAD for these and any vinyl material. Even the best stuff will have issues if allowed to to sit outside day after day, often with repeated dousing of acidic rain or other pollutants/contaminants, or sitting every evening/morning with dew coating the roof and hood that's later allowed to dry slowing building up a microscopic layer of crap over and over and over, each time becoming a stronger and stronger soup of bile as it eats more and more into the stripe material.

Unfortunately while this stuff fine for what it is, and normally fine to use, they're simply not as strong or resilient as paint, but then it's not made to be either, however people expectations are often different as can be seen here.

My car (2007-the stripes that are known to have the greatest challenges) is garaged, has been washed with water maybe 5 times in three years, never allowed to sit outside or dew to form on it, more than maybe 4 times and every time cleaned with detail spray and clay bar right after getting home. If I get caught in the rain I wipe the car down as soon as I get home. My stripes were replaced in year two due to material damage from hood scoop and rear deck spoiler install and thus far finishing up year three still looking perfect.

Bob, all this I KNOW, is little consolation to you, but I have NEVER seen 08 stripes looking as bad as yours and you say you've only had them a few months? Something is up where you live or we would see 2500 owners in here posting similar pictures. I'm not saying there aren't others but I think Ford is correct on this one and it's some extreme environmental issue at play here. BTW: there was a member, also in CA, that posted pictures much like yours in the old stripe thread on his 07 it would be interesting to find out if you both live in the same area.

JeffIsHereToo

It is interesting to know that we Shelby owners aren't alone out here. Not that it does anything to help our problems with the stripes. Oh well. Also, I only sent the picture of my first set that had gone bad. My current set hasn't had the spots start to turn reddish yet, that will probably occur if I can't get the stripes replaced in July as I plan now.

Another reply was also very interesting, the one about the hood pins and the steel screws vs aluminum hood corrosion problems. Galvanic reaction was one thing I hadn't considered. a very good thought. Having served on nuclear subs in the 60's, I should have thought that out (just basic chemistry). I'll mention that to the dealer I'm working with.

Bob

4.6 SHLB

Having served on nuclear subs in the 60's, I should have thought that out (just basic chemistry). I'll mention that to the dealer I'm working with.

Bob,

USS Providence (SSN-719) here! Later Submarine Combat Systems at Mobile Technical Unit Four SubLant.

;-)

I think I was the one to mention the galvanic corrosion possibility on this site when this first came up years ago. My car was doing well in the rain and I park within 50 feet of salt water alot. I should have put aluminum pop rivits in right away but really thought I was dodging the issue. So word up if yours is fine now, loose the screws for aluminum ones or Al rivets.

My spots are very minor and I really do not think it "ruins" the car or anything...just do not want to alter the way the car came from SAI and as stupid as it sounds I probably won't paint them on for that reason...

My scoop is very sweet, and that was changed...

I guess it is what it is....burnouts cure anything....

I know it was on here before BUT just to avoid problem I will replace the screws in hood pins where and what type of Alum. screw did those of you who changed them use thanks Bruce, Oh and Jeff subs Hmmm Army rules!!

i had new stripes put on after hail damage 2 years ago and they still look good. the stripe material is better quality. but for whatever reason the body shop didnt have the stripes replaced on the front and rear facias. probably because those parts are fiberglass and they didnt take any hail damage like the metal body did. the front facia stripes have some deteriation but the rear facia stripes are really bad. i wonder what the car would look like without the facia stripes on both ends? anyone have pics with thier SGTs or any mustangs like that?

the pic u see of the front of my Shelby is an older pic of when i had the car only a few months. so the stripes arent as shiny on the front bumper now. my car sits outside all the time. (yeah its terrible to have a car like this with no garage but what can u do?) i never cared for vinyl stripes on anything. i rather paint them on. maybe i'll do that when all the stripes get bad or... i thought of just having them removed completely and leave the rocker panel stripes. and paint the hood scoop solid silver or maybe solid white. i dont know.

Some of you may think it should be kept lookin as original as possible and i can see why being that it IS A Shelby, but its MY Shelby and i can really do what i want. after all i see the Shelby GT as an empty canvas and can be modded, not just mechanically with cams as many of you have already done, but also its apearance could be modded. at least i'm not puttin some gay lookin superbird spoilers on it or painting daffodils all over it. (and yeah, i always hated that retarded lookin tall rear spoiler on those Superbirds back in the day.)

Here are a couple pics of my Black SGT without the front bumper stripe (and side stripes). Not sure if this helps envision it on your white car. I'm in the process of removing ALL the stripes on mine. The spotting and stains are just way too aggravating.....plus I just can't get myself to accept why they would put tan interior in a car that was destined to receive silver stripes. So, I'm taking all of the stripes off and will see how I like it. They need replaced anyway so if I don't like it, I can always just paint them back on and avoid all the nightmares with the vinyl stripes. I agree with your mixed emotions, but in the end, you are correct......we should be able to mod these cars to fit our individual tastes. The car will ALWAYS be a Shelby GT (we have our dash plaques and authenticity certificates IF they ever arrive LOL to prove it) so unless it's going to be a museum piece that is never driven, go ahead and have fun with it!!!

post-24536-127601036062_thumb.jpg

post-24536-127601036116_thumb.jpg

post-24536-127601036173_thumb.jpg

post-24536-127601036062_thumb.jpg

post-24536-127601036116_thumb.jpg

post-24536-127601036173_thumb.jpg

So, is it just the metallic silver stripes that are mostly going bad?

Oh and can someone recommend a good paint place for the stripes? So Cal area. Orange county.

Flipper,

Don't know what you want to pay, but I had looked into painting my silver stripes if I needed to. I had settled on West Coast Customs to do it if it ever came to that point. They gave me 3 different prices depending on what level of painting I wanted done: basic all the way to a "can't feel the difference clear coat". As it turned out I never had a problem with the stripes so I never pursued it.

As you may know, Amy is now at WCC so if anyone would know what we wanted/needed, she would be the one.

FYI...

John

• 2 weeks later...

Went to a car show over the weekend (was great) and spoke to a few that had the 2008 GT-C like mine. They both said they were upset as well with the stripes they have. And they were on the 2nd set of them and were starting to go bad as well. The response from Ford and Shelby has been the same as mine. That they are washing their hands of this and will not fix the problem any longer. It saddens me... Mine are now a mess. Yes I am still trying to find a company to paint them.

Still no response back from WCC, John. I Called, gave them my info.

Went to a car show over the weekend (was great) and spoke to a few that had the 2008 GT-C like mine. They both said they were upset as well with the stripes they have. And they were on the 2nd set of them and were starting to go bad as well. The response from Ford and Shelby has been the same as mine. That they are washing their hands of this and will not fix the problem any longer. It saddens me... Mine are now a mess. Yes I am still trying to find a company to paint them.

I would look for a good classic car body/paint shop and take it in for a look see estimate. You'll pay more but they'll be done right and last!

Good luck!

let us know what WCC is going to charge you it should be somewere around $ 1400 to $ 1800! its not a Custom paint job its a stripes and a reclear and its not the whole car

just my 2 cents

JIM

I would like to get a show of hands of anyone interested in what I am about to do, and join me. Maybe when I go to get this quoted we can do it as a group and get a better price all together then it may be more profitable for the Painter to do it cheaper for us. Email me and Ill gather a list of cars. Even if it is 2 or 3 of us. I have a few leads I need to check out. Mostly places that are word of mouth. I want reputable places, only want to do this once.

That's strange. I received my info from Alex Anderson at WCC [alexa@westcoastcustoms.com] and he told me to get hold of Louis in the sales dept. if I wanted more info: sales@westcoastcustoms.com. If I was still pursuing it I would call and ask for Amy directly now that she's there. If anyone would know exactly what we need/want it would be her. And form looking at the WCC web site I see they're affiliated with Shelby now.

John

• 5 months later...

You know, until yesterday, I was feeling quite smug and oh-so-smart; I always ignored these "crappy stripes" threads.

My dealer replaced my stripes immediately after purchase in late 2007- you all know the story, rusty stains, rail dust, etc., etc., etc. Although I heard all the associated horror stories, I must admit my dealership and the very good folks at Shelby were extremely helpful and cooperative in correcting the matter. While it took two tries, the stripes were finally perfect and I was a happy camper. They installed the new generation stripes....very glossy with a high silver flake content.

For three years I have babied those stripes...never, ever let a drop of water sit on them for more than a few minutes, whether it was washing the car or getting caught in an unexpected rain shower. And whenever I waxed my SGT, I would always give the stripes special attention with wax to protect them further.

Well, we had a soaking, windy rain here last Sunday. While my Shelby never left the garage, at some point thatat day (or perhaps the next), the garage door was raised and evidently dripped a few raindrops onto the trunk deck before it was lowered again.

So I go out yesterday, raise the garage door, and see several drops of water on the trunk lid, two of them on the stripes themselves. For a second, I panicked.....then thought, "Come on, it's just a little water! Four or five days at most, can't be anything, right?" WRONG!

Both places where the drops lay on the stripes are now noticeably lighter and grayish. I tried spot waxing them, but to no avail - in fact, they are now even more visible.

Frustrating, extremely frustrating. I mean, how fragile can these things be...even the "new, improved" stripes?? My SGT is garaged 99.9% of the time, and even sometimes covered while garaged. How on Earth can someone leave his car outside at all without experiencing far more damage? A very, very weak link on a very strong car.

I figgered I had it knocked - but I guess that's why we play the game, huh? :rant2:

A cautionary tale for all who might think the same.

I have been the same with my stipres only have washed car twice in 3 years never in rain keep covered wax stripes once a week sad that that happened, Funny though ref everyone with the 3 years life comments on these stripes , I have an 87 Shelby Dodge GLHS with 9000 miles owned since new drove for 4 winters with salt etc and guess what stirpes look perfect can you say crap stipes material on SGTS Bruce

I remember, as a lad, my parents bought a 1977 Mustang II Cobra II from the lot, brand new. That car spent the latter part of its life outside, through Montana winters and rain, and the original blue stripes lasted eleven years. In fact, the only reason they were replaced was due to the edges lifting from the freezing rain and snow. Even when we sold the car a few years ago, they looked fantastic. But again, that was 3M material.

Although the stripes are painted on my GT500, the glass roof is covered in perforated vinyl. I have used Aerospace Products protectant on it, as suggested by other members on TS...and it it really a great product!

I thought about the old cars also. The problem is probably some EPA thing, they can not make them as good as before. By the way I have a silver hood stripe kit for a SGT that I got from Shelby that I want to sell. I have no idea what it is worth. IM me if you want them.

IF it is the metal flakes rusting in the stripes they should be covered. I am not saying they are covered but saying they should be covered. Probably close to 90% of cars are parked outside so why should we be expected to garage our cars. I garage mine but Id like to reserve the right to park in my driveway if I wished, without having to worry about my car being destroyed by the elements. And if it is destroyed by the elements why should I be punished? I can agree extreme conditions should not be covered so Id love to know where this car is being parked and what kind of conditions it is there.

With that being said, I am still happy with my original 07 stripes. I may be one of the few left with 07 stripes. :shrug:

Also, I love your signature picture 1218shelby. One of the best Ive seen.

I still have my 07 srtipes, however is has some discloration but not like what I have seen on the blog. I went to my dealer in Kansas, took photos of the stripes

and sent it off not knowing I only had a 12 month warranty, of course it was refused however they sent a reply and noticed my hood scoop was warped. In closing

they replaced the scoop and had the scoop rivited to my hood. I must say it does look 100% better than the original being held down by 4 screws with rusted nuts. I'm pleased. My Shelby doen't hit the rain and is always garaged. Maybe that's why my stripes are tolorable . I use D-- W--- on my paint and stripes and use no water when washing.

i'll probably have mine removed. not going to replace them. i'll either have them painted on or leave it stripeless.

my car sits outside all the time. stripes were replaced 2 years ago when the car was repaired from hail damage.

stripes are showing some bad places, but it dont look like rust, it just looks like its faded in areas. i live in arkansas, so there is no salt around here.

still has the original scoop. thinkin about removing it and puttin bolts with the round button heads in the holes. it will probably look stupid but i wondered what it would look like. maybe paint the button heads same as the stripes so it wont be noticable.

I remember, as a lad, my parents bought a 1977 Mustang II Cobra II from the lot, brand new. That car spent the latter part of its life outside, through Montana winters and rain, and the original blue stripes lasted eleven years. In fact, the only reason they were replaced was due to the edges lifting from the freezing rain and snow. Even when we sold the car a few years ago, they looked fantastic. But again, that was 3M material.

Although the stripes are painted on my GT500, the glass roof is covered in perforated vinyl. I have used Aerospace Products protectant on it, as suggested by other members on TS...and it it really a great product!

I got that one beat,I have a 1978 Mustang II Cobra with 38.000 miles on it, and just this past Oct had just the stripes over the hood,roof and hatchback done,the rest of the car look's like it just came out of the factory!!! My 07 SGT had 3,000 miles on it never seen a drop of rain always in the garage with a Shelby car cover on it and I had to put on a new hood scoop, and they would only do the stripes on the hood of the car and nothing else!!!! I guess that will be on my dime sometime soon down the road.

• 8 years later...

Archived