TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Stripes gone bad... again

some of you might remeber that my silver stripes had to be replaced because of the famous discoloration. Well these new stripes are going bad again. Will Shelby replace them again? i think im over the warranty Period. They were replaced about 1 year ago. HELP..

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
some of you might remeber that my silver stripes had to be replaced because of the famous discoloration. Well these new stripes are going bad again. Will Shelby replace them again? i think im over the warranty Period. They were replaced about 1 year ago. HELP..

Chances are lately "No". Though I'm REALLY surprised to hear this! If they were done a year ago you should have the new and improved 08 style stripes. Are they shiny? What do you mean by "going bad"? Post pics? Is the car garaged? Do you wash it with water often?

here are some pics of it.. its looks really bad..

is there anything i can do to try and take them out in the mean time? i heard that vinegar might help out. SHELBY... help me... please..

WOW!

I have never seen anything like that! Where do you park it! This is not natural and something is up with water or tree sap or something! I can't imagine this will be covered it's not like anything you would expect and "LOOKS" like something has reacted with the vinyl, maybe even some detergent or something?

WOW, WOW, WOW...

I could be wrong but I don't see any choice but to replace them I would go to a good auto graphics shop and have them replaced with like material. Should be about $200 tops to do.

Good luck!

WOW!

I have never seen anything like that! Where do you park it! This is not natural and something is up with water or tree sap or something! I can't imagine this will be covered it's not like anything you would expect and "LOOKS" like something has reacted with the vinyl, maybe even some detergent or something?

WOW, WOW, WOW...

I could be wrong but I don't see any choice but to replace them I would go to a good auto graphics shop and have them replaced with like material. Should be about $200 tops to do.

Good luck!

I'm with Jeff on this one. That is the worst I have ever seen posted. Looks like rust. Is it possible for the metal in the stripe to react like that? I don't know....I fixed mine with paint, paint, paint! Good luck to you. Craig

WOW, that is awful! I have never seen anything like that either. Perhaps you should send these pics to SAI if you got these stripes from SAI...who did the installation? I very rarely wash my car with water...I use ICE spray wax or something similar and I've never seen any spots on my stripes except for one time when I got caught in a rain storm in Florida...they spotted really bad but came back after I dried the water off of them...never noticed any spots after that since...

would it be better jus to paint the stripes? would it loose any value later on? if i do go this route i was thinking of paiting with blue stripes. What do you all think?

First, I would invest in an outdoor car cover!

Second, I would hand wash with any of the auto soaps available and not use a car wash and NEVER a high pressure wash! Always ALWAYS immediately wipe the stripes dry. DO NOT let water just sit on them and dry.

Third, take to an auto graphics shop and have them replace the stripes.

If you have the $$$ to paint go for it, while blue is interesting, I would keep it silver.

Good luck!

IF it is the metal flakes rusting in the stripes they should be covered. I am not saying they are covered but saying they should be covered. Probably close to 90% of cars are parked outside so why should we be expected to garage our cars. I garage mine but Id like to reserve the right to park in my driveway if I wished, without having to worry about my car being destroyed by the elements. And if it is destroyed by the elements why should I be punished? I can agree extreme conditions should not be covered so Id love to know where this car is being parked and what kind of conditions it is there.

With that being said, I am still happy with my original 07 stripes. I may be one of the few left with 07 stripes. :shrug:

Also, I love your signature picture 1218shelby. One of the best Ive seen.

Here ya go direct from Orcal's web site the maker of the stripes from SAI. While the topic is PVC wraps our stripes are also PVC and they claim this issue even effects car paint so...

Dealing with “Fallout”

In recent months a small number of vehicle wrap customers located in southern

California/Nevada and northern Mexico have experienced a dull rust-colored surface

condition sometimes known as “fallout”. This has occurred to OEM paint finishes and

wrapped vehicles alike. ORACAL has determined that the likely cause is an

environmental problem associated with fossil fuel burning facilities in these areas.

These pollutants, most likely sulfur dioxide, bond with water vapor, forming an acidic

molecule. When the dew point is reached in the area, dew is deposited on the vehicle

surfaces. What was acidic vapor is now acidic dew. The acidic dew etches the surface

of the PVC film if the dew is left on the vehicle for prolonged periods of time. Because it

is dew, and not rain, the acid is fairly concentrated and begins to etch into the surface of

the laminate.

Once the dew has evaporated from the vehicle, the dew leaves deposits of dust,

minerals etc. from the water vapor in the etched surface of the PVC, thus causing the

rust colored appearance. The acid continues to erode the laminate creating a pockmarked

surface which further exacerbates the problem by increasing the surface area

for the acid to collect and erode and increases the dust and mineral deposits.

Suggestions for Distributors:

• Educate sign shops about the environmental issues facing vehicle wraps in the southern

California/Nevada and northern Mexico areas.

• Stock Teflon type polish or recommend a specific brand

• Add disclaimers to claim policies concerning “fallout”

Suggestions for Sign Shops:

• Prepare a Vehicle Wrap Care Guide with the points below

• Educate Wrap owners of the importance of care

• Modify warranties with regards to fallout to avoid liability issues.

Suggestions for Vehicle Wrap Owners in this area:

• Rinse the vehicle every morning to minimize deposits

• Wash the vehicle at least once a week with a very mild soap. Ask wrap installers for a

vehicle wrap care guide.

• Use a Teflon type polish designed for vehicle wraps to help protect the surface and gloss.

Follow manufacturer’s directions and application frequencies.

These are only suggestions and may or may not prevent vehicle wrap damage due to

the ‘fallout” phenomenon. Oracal USA attributes “fallout” damage to environmental

conditions which are not related to the manufacturing process, print production,

lamination or installation. We therefore do not classify this as a product defect for

warranty purposes.

http://www.oracal.com/products/_docs/prod-...ct_Bulletin.pdf

Fallout_Product_Bulletin.pdf

Fallout_Product_Bulletin.pdf

Acid rain and acid dew on the west coast is virtually 100% compliments of the *hunderds* of new large-scale high-sulfur-coal-fired power plants China has built in just the past few years. It's staggering and sad how much pollution they're pumping out.

And since they now own us -- quite literally -- no one is likely to push the issue either. Makes me sick.

-Dan

In my humble opinion the original stripes are horse $hit. Take your car to a sign guy that does vinyl, or a custom lettering place spend the 300-400$ and be done with it, that's what I did, it only cost me 260.00. If Shelby would redo the stripes they would put the low quality ones on again and boom a year later same stuff. Or better yet have them painted on.

Acid rain and acid dew on the west coast is virtually 100% compliments of the *hunderds* of new large-scale high-sulfur-coal-fired power plants China has built in just the past few years. It's staggering and sad how much pollution they're pumping out.

And since they now own us -- quite literally -- no one is likely to push the issue either. Makes me sick.

-Dan

eventually it will make us all sick Dan! :cry:

I called Galpin Ford where i took it originally to get the stripes replaced and they said it might still be covered under warranty. What i dont understand is that its only the top part of the car that the stripes went bad. The rest of the stripes arent like that.

I called Galpin Ford where i took it originally to get the stripes replaced and they said it might still be covered under warranty. What i dont understand is that its only the top part of the car that the stripes went bad. The rest of the stripes arent like that.

That’s because the acid based fallout settles on horizontal surfaces and most condensation on vehicles occurs on horizontal surfaces as well. The fallout is a dry particulate in its dry state is fairly harmless, but when moisture (usually condensation) is introduced it begins to break down the acid into a liquid form, over time more particulates settle and the concentration of acid gets to the point where it will etch and the vinyl, in severe cases it will cause very bad discoloration. If you think this is bad u have no idea what is happening to your paint. If you live in an area with bad fallout you must be dogmatic about getting the dry fallout of your vehicle and keeping your paint and stripes protected. This problem is happening with a lot of products, there are other solutions but they are very costly. However, some of us are working very hard on a cost effective solution, The bottom line is it an environmental problem, but it does NOT happen everywhere.

here are some pics of it.. its looks really bad..

p4200017.jpg

p4200020.jpg

p4200022.jpg

is there anything i can do to try and take them out in the mean time? i heard that vinegar might help out. SHELBY... help me... please..

HOLY CRAP!!! How long have they looked like that? I hope it works out for you. I also have never seen anything like that before. I had and extra set of strips before I got rid of my 07SGT, but no longer have them. Sorry I would have gladly have given them to you. Good luck.

Jim

Jim

Because condensation occurs on the roof most of time with the warmer air void of the passenger cabin below. You can see where you may have wiped the condensation or waxed a section too.

Get an outdoor car cover ASAP.

So how come my leftover '08 I just bought had stained stripes from sitting on the dealer's lot for almost a year but a white striped GT500 that was out there almost as long still looks perfect? I think the crushed aluminum that is used in the stripes for the metallic part is oxidizing in the stripe itself because it is bad, not because of weather. They probably used defective Chinese aluminum.

Archived