TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Stripes gone bad... again

some of you might remeber that my silver stripes had to be replaced because of the famous discoloration. Well these new stripes are going bad again. Will Shelby replace them again? i think im over the warranty Period. They were replaced about 1 year ago. HELP..

as i am going through the same problem, i suggest going to see nelson buss in service at galpin ford. He is handling my claim right now nd got it approved. the key to getting this done under wrrenty is as much about the dlr as it is shelby to getting it approved.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
as i am going through the same problem, i suggest going to see nelson buss in service at galpin ford. He is handling my claim right now nd got it approved. the key to getting this done under wrrenty is as much about the dlr as it is shelby to getting it approved.

Anyone got a good Long Island-area dealer they can recommend for mine?

Jer

HOLY RUSTANG BATMAN!!

wow that looks like hell.

i would have them painted on if you could afford it.

and either way u go u should hand wash ur car then dry it with a shammy.....often.

+2.

+3 on keepin it silver

Just a thought ...remember, the Shelby GT is actually a Ford retail product (not a Shelby [post-]retail product like the SS), so I think you want to let Ford deal with it. Don't worry about what SAI says, imo -- let Ford deal with them ...it's Ford's product/problem. If a particular dealer doesn't give you satisfaction either find another dealer or demand the Ford region-rep's contact information (dealer must give it to you under their franchise agreement with Ford) and schedule a meeting with Ford (region-rep) at the dealer.

Ford will make good on this stuff if it's defective and will have Shelby or the stripe maker or whoever belly-up (transparent to you) -- there's no reason for the customer to have to worry about how Ford resolves it with/without Shelby and who is/isn't at fault. The only thing that matters is if Ford accepts it as a product defect/failure which seems obvious since the paint is fine and it's entirely reasonable to assume the stripes should be as durable as the paint for the life of the warranty, imo. Just my .02.

Just a thought ...remember, the Shelby GT is actually a Ford retail product (not a Shelby [post-]retail product like the SS), so I think you want to let Ford deal with it. Don't worry about what SAI says, imo -- let Ford deal with them ...it's Ford's product/problem. If a particular dealer doesn't give you satisfaction either find another dealer or demand the Ford region-rep's contact information (dealer must give it to you under their franchise agreement with Ford) and schedule a meeting with Ford (region-rep) at the dealer.

Ford will make good on this stuff if it's defective and will have Shelby or the stripe maker or whoever belly-up (transparent to you) -- there's no reason for the customer to have to worry about how Ford resolves it with/without Shelby and who is/isn't at fault. The only thing that matters is if Ford accepts it as a product defect/failure which seems obvious since the paint is fine and it's entirely reasonable to assume the stripes should be as durable as the paint for the life of the warranty, imo. Just my .02.

All warranty work goes through Ford and is approved or rejected by Ford. It has NOTHING to do with SAI or SPP. They just ship out what Ford tells them. Dealers may say they called Shelby but the 800 number is Ford.

While I understand your sentiments this is without a doubt environmental. I've been a STRONG advocate for the issues around the stripes but this looks to be a known issue and has nothing to do with the stripe quality, which on the 07's is nothing to write home about anyway. Our stripes will not last as long as paint. If you go to Orcal's web site almost all their PVC Vinyl material is stated to have a useful life of about 5 years. Not saying it shouldn't last longer but that's what that say.

Regardless of who's at fault with the type or installation of the stripes- the important thing to remember is that the stripes are vinyl. Vinyl will never last as long as paint (of high quality).

The bottom line (in my opinion of course)- is that the stripes should have been painted on in the first place. For the cost and sentiment of a Shelby- there's simply no reasonable excuse for using vinyl. I think this will be one of those topics that the auctioneers discuss at Barrett Jackson twenty years from now. By then, there will probably be plenty of owners that opted to paint the stripes on versus the owners that wanted to keep everything original- including the faded and/or peeling stripes.

All warranty work goes through Ford and is approved or rejected by Ford. It has NOTHING to do with SAI or SPP. They just ship out what Ford tells them. Dealers may say they called Shelby but the 800 number is Ford.

Yeah, I'm agreeing with you, Jeff, unless I'm misunderstanding ...it's Ford's warranty work to decide on but I think there can be only one outcome -- that they replace them on their nickel.

While I understand your sentiments this is without a doubt environmental. I've been a STRONG advocate for the issues around the stripes but this looks to be a known issue and has nothing to do with the stripe quality, which on the 07's is nothing to write home about anyway. Our stripes will not last as long as paint. If you go to Orcal's web site almost all their PVC Vinyl material is stated to have a useful life of about 5 years. Not saying it shouldn't last longer but that's what that say.

The car has a bumper to bumper warranty that includes the exterior ...with reasonable care. It would be hard for Ford to say that the paint can hold up to environmentals but the stripes can't under that warranty (regardless of Orcal's experience) -- even tho the paint will generally far outlast vinyl stripes it was Ford's decision (directly or not) to use those vinyl stripes and there's therefore no reasonable basis to deny replacement, imo.

The warranty applies whether the car is left to bake in the sun and rain or kept in a bubble in a conditioned space as long as it receives resonable care -- which it has as evidenced by it's overall condition aside from the stripes. There's just no way I'd take "no" for an answer from a delaer on this -- even if I had to take it to the Ford Corporate VP of Cutomer Service. Ford has no reasonable basis, imo, to deny that as valid warranty work if due to general/prevailing evironmentals.

Now if someone spilled chemicals/acid on it, or that's direct-deposition staining from being parked adjacent to some industrial process -- fine. But pevailing environmentals are well within what it's reasonable to expect the exterior finish will endure (suitability for use) and the stripes are an undeniable part of that for the warranty period. Ford can use a stripe material that's less durable than the paint if they so choose -- that's their call -- but it still must endure at least for the warranty period on their nickel unless the cutomer was negligent. Don't you agree?

Yeah, I'm agreeing with you, Jeff, unless I'm misunderstanding ...it's Ford's warranty work to decide on but I think there can be only one outcome -- that they replace them on their nickel.

The car has a bumper to bumper warranty that includes the exterior ...with reasonable care. It would be hard for Ford to say that the paint can hold up to environmentals but the stripes can't under that warranty (regardless of Orcal's experience) -- even tho the paint will generally far outlast vinyl stripes it was Ford's decision (directly or not) to use those vinyl stripes and there's therefore no reasonable basis to deny replacement, imo.

The warranty applies whether the car is left to bake in the sun and rain or kept in a bubble in a conditioned space as long as it receives resonable care -- which it has as evidenced by it's overall condition aside from the stripes. There's just no way I'd take "no" for an answer from a delaer on this -- even if I had to take it to the Ford Corporate VP of Cutomer Service. Ford has no reasonable basis, imo, to deny that as valid warranty work if due to general/prevailing evironmentals.

Now if someone spilled chemicals/acid on it, or that's direct-deposition staining from being parked adjacent to some industrial process -- fine. But pevailing environmentals are well within what it's reasonable to expect the exterior finish will endure (suitability for use) and the stripes are an undeniable part of that for the warranty period. Ford can use a stripe material that's less durable than the paint if they so choose -- that's their call -- but it still must endure at least for the warranty period on their nickel unless the cutomer was negligent. Don't you agree?

I don't disagree with your thinking, the car should be built using materials that can stand up to things and last. But sadly Ford does not think that's the case where these stripes are concerned. They are not part of the bumper to bumper 36K but only 12/12K, they say now, and in any case they are only warranted against defects and workmanship. Any environmental damage, such as this, is not going to get covered. At least based upon the experience of others here lately. In this case you can even see where he partially wiped the morning dew at one point.

I went to 3Ms site and I see their stripes are 6-7 year life....I think paint is the way to go eventually.

What do you guys think it should cost to have the stripes painted on. I had a quote for $1,600 with lines and $2,400 with no lines. My car is in the shop getting the front end repainted and a couple little upgrades and I have until Monday to decide what to do. I'm already spending close to $15,000 in upgrades so to spend another $2,400 is alot of money and $15,000 was my budget so I will exceed it if I get them painted on. What if we clear coated over the stripes would it make them last 20 years?

$1500 seems about right for painting the stripes on. Although, I'm not sure what you mean with or without lines?

And, clearcoating the entire car will definitely give it a small amount of additional protection. Just make sure it's not the cheap 'CA approved' clear, as it has a tendency to yellow over time.

$1500 seems about right for painting the stripes on. Although, I'm not sure what you mean with or without lines?

And, clearcoating the entire car will definitely give it a small amount of additional protection. Just make sure it's not the cheap 'CA approved' clear, as it has a tendency to yellow over time.

Lines means you can feel a line if you rub your fingers across them

Painted stripes are nice but if you need to repaint down the road for some reason now you open the can of worms of increased cost and color matching as well. Again, why aren't the GT500 stripes going bad? Why are vinyl graphics on commerical vehicles and buses that take way more abuse staying nice?

Well, if you don't clear the entire car- you will still be able to feel the edges of the stripes.

I agree with mikewheels, a good set of vinyl stripes should be able to last 5-7 years. Keep in mind, though, that silver is one of the WORST colors when it comes to resisting fading. So, I would not expect a high quality silver set to last more than 5 years (if driven weekly and parked in the sun).

Well, if you don't clear the entire car- you will still be able to feel the edges of the stripes.

I agree with mikewheels, a good set of vinyl stripes should be able to last 5-7 years. Keep in mind, though, that silver is one of the WORST colors when it comes to resisting fading. So, I would not expect a high quality silver set to last more than 5 years (if driven weekly and parked in the sun).

If you live in south Fla and leave your car outside you would be lucky to get 2 years until the stripes are flat as primer. If you live on the beach forget it. I feel these cars are toys and need TLC.

I don't disagree with your thinking, the car should be built using materials that can stand up to things and last. But sadly Ford does not think that's the case where these stripes are concerned. They are not part of the bumper to bumper 36K but only 12/12K, they say now, and in any case they are only warranted against defects and workmanship. Any environmental damage, such as this, is not going to get covered. At least based upon the experience of others here lately. In this case you can even see where he partially wiped the morning dew at one point.

I went to 3Ms site and I see their stripes are 6-7 year life....I think paint is the way to go eventually.

The stripes are only 12/12K? ...didn't know that ...thanks, Jeff.

So, that was deposited over one night and when he wiped the dew off it came off? I'm confused now ...I thought it was a cumulative problem that happened just from being outside over some period of weeks.

Actually, that might still properly be considered a latent defect -- dunno.

In any event, I'd definately meet with region (at the dealer) and, if they deny it, I'd send a concise and polite letter/e-mail stating the facts to Ford VP of Customer Service, indicating my Ford-loyalty and displeasure with the denial and asking for a specific remedy (stripe replacement). It works.

-Dan

But sadly Ford does not think that's the case where these stripes are concerned. They are not part of the bumper to bumper 36K but only 12/12K, they say now, and in any case they are only warranted against defects and workmanship. Any environmental damage, such as this, is not going to get covered. At least based upon the experience of others here lately. In this case you can even see where he partially wiped the morning dew at one point.

Jeff

I'm a little confused here on the stripe warranty. We are talking about a Shelby GT, correct?

If so the stripes were applied by SAI in Vegas and should be under the Shelby 3/36 warranty. Not too long ago I was told the amount that SAI has spent on stripe warranty claims and it was a staggering figure. So although warranty claims go thru a Ford dealership the actual claim should be covered by SAI and their guidelines. Unless SAI just sends Ford a check to cover the warranty claims they have paid and lets Ford handle all the details.

Now if we are talking about a Shelby GT500 then that is different. Ford only covers their stripes for 12/12 and they would make the decision to cover or deny a claim.

In regards to the OP's stripes it is my opinion that neither Ford or SAI would cover that claim. If by chance they did it would be a goodwill gesture as it's pretty obvious that his stripes were damaged by some sort of fallout. Since the OP's stripes were already replaced once under warranty I doubt that anyone would approve another replacement. Makes you wonder if the OP lives near an airport or some sort of factory that is spewing containments onto his car.

Steve

Shelbymotorports makes a valid point. The GT500 stripes are done by Ford at the factory, while the Shelby GT stripes are done by SAI.

It does make me wonder who is supplying the stripes to Ford, as they are definitely more durable than the ones SAI purchased.

Jeff

I'm a little confused here on the stripe warranty. We are talking about a Shelby GT, correct?

If so the stripes were applied by SAI in Vegas and should be under the Shelby 3/36 warranty. Not too long ago I was told the amount that SAI has spent on stripe warranty claims and it was a staggering figure. So although warranty claims go thru a Ford dealership the actual claim should be covered by SAI and their guidelines. Unless SAI just sends Ford a check to cover the warranty claims they have paid and lets Ford handle all the details.

Now if we are talking about a Shelby GT500 then that is different. Ford only covers their stripes for 12/12 and they would make the decision to cover or deny a claim.

In regards to the OP's stripes it is my opinion that neither Ford or SAI would cover that claim. If by chance they did it would be a goodwill gesture as it's pretty obvious that his stripes were damaged by some sort of fallout. Since the OP's stripes were already replaced once under warranty I doubt that anyone would approve another replacement. Makes you wonder if the OP lives near an airport or some sort of factory that is spewing containments onto his car.

Steve

I don't disagree with you but that's not what Ford says now. They say the 3/36 is materials and workmanship NOT environmental damage just as the stripe manufacturer says in their warranty which I posted above.

To hear the experience of others go to:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37527

Shelbymotorports makes a valid point. The GT500 stripes are done by Ford at the factory, while the Shelby GT stripes are done by SAI.

It does make me wonder who is supplying the stripes to Ford, as they are definitely more durable than the ones SAI purchased.

The issues of "durability" look to be pretty much an 07 problem. THE 08's have a high quality stripe and any damage has usually been due to the hood scoop moving.

The stripes are only 12/12K? ...didn't know that ...thanks, Jeff.

So, that was deposited over one night and when he wiped the dew off it came off? I'm confused now ...I thought it was a cumulative problem that happened just from being outside over some period of weeks.

Actually, that might still properly be considered a latent defect -- dunno.

In any event, I'd definately meet with region (at the dealer) and, if they deny it, I'd send a concise and polite letter/e-mail stating the facts to Ford VP of Customer Service, indicating my Ford-loyalty and displeasure with the denial and asking for a specific remedy (stripe replacement). It works.

-Dan

I made the comment about the wipe from the pictures. It looks, from one of the pictures, like then when the dew was on the roof someone wiped a section. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like.

As I said the damage matches the description from the manufacturers web site and they say it's not covered under their warranty. Ford has been very particular about any damage due to environmental issues. So I suspect they will say no to this too, but you never know, and it's always worth trying to take it to the next level!

Jeff

I'm in agreement. Either way the OP's damage is not going to be covered unless they are doing a goodwill gesture or his service department knows how to "work the warranty procedure".

I just got confused when you said Ford handles the Shelby GT claims. I know Ford does the repairs but I always understood that SAI was on the hook for the money part of the claim.

As previously mentioned something is definitely going on with the OP's car that is unique to him. Something is getting on his car from where it's parked thats why I mentioned the airport or industrial situation.

I think the suggestions of aftermarket stripes or paint should be considered by the OP.

Steve

Jeff

I'm in agreement. Either way the OP's damage is not going to be covered unless they are doing a goodwill gesture or his service department knows how to "work the warranty procedure".

I just got confused when you said Ford handles the Shelby GT claims. I know Ford does the repairs but I always understood that SAI was on the hook for the money part of the claim.

As previously mentioned something is definitely going on with the OP's car that is unique to him. Something is getting on his car from where it's parked thats why I mentioned the airport or industrial situation.

I think the suggestions of aftermarket stripes or paint should be considered by the OP.

Steve

I agree. My understanding is the warranty is the same reserve money kept by Ford for all cars, but I'm, not privy to who pays for what from whom so who knows!

I think for any out or warranty repair an aftermarket auto graphics shop is the way to go. I did that with my car and had my entire car done. They have the same Orcal material if you want to use it. I went for a matching 3M material and I'm VERY happy.

I just want to point out that it doesn't matter what the stripe manufacturer's warranty is or who applied them. That's between Ford and their suppliers/subcontractors ('07 and many '08 GT500 stripes were job-shopped too). If it's a Ford reatail build Ford is on the hook to resolve one way or the other. They can push it back on SAI or the stripe manufacturer or whoever they contractually have to work with. But that's not the customer's problem -- that's Ford's problem.

It's no different than a transmission. If it goes bad under warranty it's Ford's problem. Whether it's a failure that Tremec honors or not, Ford is still on the hook warranty-wise, if the requirements are met by the owner. If they are even if it's not a Tremec problem, Ford will replace and 'eat' it -- maybe not happily, but they will.

Don't accept the dealer's denial. Contact region (who is actually a Ford Motor Company rep since the dealer can't speak for Ford). If region denies it, contact Ford Corporate VP of Customer Service. That's who gets to make the final decision on such 'interpretive' problems and his staff is very conscientious. I've never seen him turn down a genuinely legitimate claim no matter what the dealer or region have said. In fact, his office will want to see that region weighed-in first (normal channel) -- i.e. that the customer pursued with due-dilligence prior to Corporate being approached to render a a final decision.

Don't let the dealer (or Region) disuade you from pursuing with Ford if you feel it is an honestly legitimate claim. Ford does not want unhappy customers with legitimate complaints.

If you need a contact, PM me, but it must first be pursued with region-rep to get Corp help ...if legit.

-Dan

I just want to point out that it doesn't matter what the stripe manufacturer's warranty is or who applied them. That's between Ford and their suppliers/subcontractors ('07 and many '08 GT500 stripes were job-shopped too). If it's a Ford reatail build Ford is on the hook to resolve one way or the other. They can push it back on SAI or the stripe manufacturer or whoever they contractually have to work with. But that's not the customer's problem -- that's Ford's problem.

Don't accept the dealer's denial. Contact region (who is actually a Ford Motor Company rep since the dealer can't speak for Ford). If region denies it, contact Ford Corporate VP of Customer Service. That's who gets to make the final decision on such 'interpretive' problems and his staff is very conscientious. I've never seen him turn down a genuinely legitimate claim no matter what the dealer or region have said. In fact, his office will want to see that region weighed-in first (normal channel) -- i.e. that the customer pursued with due-dilligence prior to Corporate being approached to render a a final decision.

Don't let the dealer (or Region) disuade you from pursuing with Ford if you feel it is an honestly legitimate claim. Ford does not want unhappy customers with legitimate complaints.

If you need a contact, PM me, but it must first be pursued with region-rep to get Corp help ...if legit.

-Dan

I support taking this as high as someone wants to but my experience, and the experience of others for a lot less damage, is why I doubt they're going to cover this.

My point in posting the manufacturers warranty note was to show that the damage was probably environmental and Ford claims they are not responsible for that. We've already had members take stripe issues, less severe than this, to Ford Customer Service where it was also denied as environmental damage.

If you have some magic please share because there are A LOT of people in similar situations.

I support taking this as high as someone wants to but my experience, and the experience of others for a lot less damage, is why I doubt they're not going to cover this.

My point in posting the manufacturers warranty note was to show that the damage was probably environmental and Ford claims they are not responsible for that. We've already had members take stripe issues, less severe than this, to Ford Customer Service where it was also denied as environmental damage.

If you have some magic please share because there are A LOT of people in similar situations.

I understand... no prob. No magic beyond what I've outlined. Hope it works out for him.

Archived